Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Have to take Alex to the doctor... (Page 1)

He has REALLY bad thrush(sp?)

We noticed it a little Tuesday and mom said it's supposed to go away on it's own after a week but yesterday I noticed it had gotten A LOT worse... It is NOW all over his tongue, gums, cheeks, inside of his lips and starting to go down his throat Sad By the time I noticed how bad it had gotten yesterday (we BOTH slept till 5:30 pm) The doctors office was closed so I called FIRST thing this morning and we have to be there at 10:40

I feel SO bad for him..it's starting to affect his eating a little Sad

my poor baby Sad

-Ashley
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
It's oral thrush, my children had that when they were a baby I went to the pediatrican she gave me oral cream it worked well.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
i hope he gets better. william had thrush in the creases in his neck. its easily treated though
|

Extremely eHealthy
Poor baby! I hope he feels better soon
|

Extremely eHealthy
yeah, they gave him some antibiotic for it and said it should clear up in no time.. I feel so bad for the lil guy.. thank goodness it's easily treatable Smile
|

Especially eHealthy
Oni had it BAAAD toooo!!! We were given Nystatin to treat it. It would get better, then come back. Oh GOD it was soooo annoying!!

I had to give her the medicne 6 times a day. So I was having to wake her up to give her this medicne...SUCKED!!

Did you boil all your paci's and nipples. It prob came from that...I think we gave Oni a nunu that hadn't been boiled.

I'm so noid about Nya getting it!!!

Sarah
|

Extremely eHealthy
I didn't when I got them.. I would wash them really good but now I'm going to start doing it.. I don't want him to get it again
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2008
Don't worry hun it will soon pass, just remember to sterilize the nipples as bacteria tends to grow especially on milk bottle and younger children tend to be more prone to it. Either get a sterilizer or just boil them after each wash. Good luck just pm me anytime you want to ask anything. Love Hart74
|

Extremely eHealthy
thank you.

I'm glad I have SO many bottles 'cuz I hate having to boil them..I did it this afternoon and will prolly do so again tomorrow afternoon..

My doctor/ped DID say it is VERY common in babies/young children and depending on how bad it is will pass quickly.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Poor little pumpkin! Sad Wishing him a speedy recovery!!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
hun WATCH HIS BUTT

seriously, val was in the hospital when she was a couple days old and had a million antibiotics that gave her thrush really bad and it spread from her mouth to her but and gave her a HORRIBLE little diaper rash that wouldnt go away....and push the bottles, even if he doesnt want it get him ro drink somehow....i had to take a syringe and feed val a few ml at a time, you dont want him to get dehydrated...i know you said hes still eating but it gets worse before it gets better

and dont expect results RIGHT away, it takes a bit of persistance...and im not sure if they told you this but paint his tounge with it and put it on his gums too (i only say this because vals doc made it sound like it would go away in a day or two and it DIDNT and he had just said squirt it in her cheeks....then i went back to her regular doc and he told me you need to "paint" too lol)

i hope it gets better quick, its no fun....and looks disgusting (i have pictures of when val had it, it was horrible lol
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yeah.. The doctor also gave me cream for if it spreads...

they did say "paint" it on too but We JUST got the meds yesterday and I haven't been doing that and his tongue is ALREADY 10x better

If he doesn't eat a lot i'm not forcing him because he'll wake up and eat more 10-15 mins later.. he'll fall asleep while eating..EVERY time lol
|

User Profile
princess6591 wrote:
I didn't when I got them.. I would wash them really good but now I'm going to start doing it.. I don't want him to get it again

Why didn't you take the time to boil them? It's common knowledge that it is what you should do to keep your baby healthy.

And you only boil them when you get them, before the first use. After that you can just wash them. I use plastic gloves so that I can make the water really really hot and not burn myself.

Don't put them in the dish washer either. The chemicals in the bottles will start to break down and eventually enter the milk.
|

replied February 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
no EVERYBODY boils them.. Just because you don't boil them doesn't mean they wont be healthy...

The nipples you can boil them all the time... I don't boil the bottles or anything..

I don't have a dishwasher so I can't do that anyways...

Oh, and I didn't take the time to boil them because I didn't get bottles till after I had Alex and I was kinda busy the first few days..and still am with laundry and feedings and changings and doctor appointments...
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
tanya not to be mean to you but you dont HAVE to boil them, i never did, i just washed them (i boiled ones we got from friends and family though) its not horrible not to boil them and a couple times i didnt even wash them first because we would be out longer then i expected and run out of bottles and id just buy one and use it if she needed it

and you can boil nipples after ever use if you want. a lot of people do

but princess you do NEED to boil them from now until the thrush is COMPLETLY gone, one little bit and he will have a full blown case again so you have to be carful with EVERYTHING that goes into his mouth (including hands and toys and bedding not sure if hes at that point yet though)

im so glad hes still eating and its going away fast.....honestly i think vals was sohard to get rid of because it was caused by antibiotics, so its a good thing alex doesnt have that it took forever

and dont worry about the falling asleep val is 8 and a half months and she STILL falls asleep eating lol
|

User Profile
Yeah you don't HAVE to boil them but you should. Babies in their first year require everything to be sterilized as their immunity levels are low.

I do it, and every other mother I know in real life does.

I wouldn't risk giving my baby something that might not be properly disinfected. Especially since you only need to boil them for five minutes. Ashley I was really busy when I was a new mom too. I found an extra couple of minutes to boil her bottles. I mean, if I had extra time to post on here why wouldn't I have a couple extra minutes to boil her bottles.

It all comes down to wether you want to take the little extra time and work to make sure you've done what you can to prevent your baby from getting sick.

I hope Alex gets better. Rowan never had thrush but it doesn't sound fun at all. I was always scared while breast feeding that we'd both get it and pass it back and forth, but that didn't happen.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yes, I have TONS of bottles so I only have to boil nipples every few days... He LOVES to suck on his hands so i've been constantly wiping off him hands and stuff...

Actuall, every place i've read you only have to boil them for 3 minuets.. and everyone i've asked said the same...

It's already SO much better. I'm so happy Smile

oh. I think it's cute when the fall asleep eating Smile
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I'm glad that Alex is starting to get better. Also I wanted to add that I boiled both the nipples, bottles even the caps that go on top for the first 6mths for both of my children.

It may be a pain in the butt but it is part of being a mom Smile
|

Especially eHealthy
Oni's thrush was CAUSED from us giving her a nipple right out of the pack.

And it took FOREVERRRRR to get 100% better. blech, it was HORRIBLE. I even took pics of it, it was THAT bad. I even posted em on here! lol!

I'm sooo noid about Nya getting it. I;m CONSTANTLY washing her paci because Oni touches it and then tries to give it to her. She doesn't want it, but that doesn't stop Oni from trying to give it! LOL!

Def rub the meds all over his mouth. I think that if I hadn't done that, it would have lasted WAAAAY longer than it did. That would have SUCKED!

Her Dr made SURE he made that clear!!

I hope he gets over it quick!

Sarah
|

User Profile
Well 3 minutes of boiling is better then nothing. The back of the bottle packs have all said 5 minutes, I'm pretty sure. Though if you'd rather do three that's better then not doing it at all, don't you think.

Good thing he's getting better.
|
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....