Medical Questions > Mental Health > Autism Forum

Giving antibiotics to children (Page 1)

I don't believe in taking antibiotics for things like colds, so I don't have to worry there Very Happy I just ride it out. I don't remember what the migraine was, I never learned the generic name and the actual medical name for it was like 5 syllables long :lol:

-edited to clarify-
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Why don't you believe in antibiotics? What about your child and antibiotics if he gets sick?
|

User Profile
Supporter
I have no idea whether you should take the next pill..I would. But yayyy on getting your period!
|

Extremely eHealthy
futureshock wrote:
Why don't you believe in antibiotics? What about your child and antibiotics if he gets sick?

Those prescribed by a doctor or that I've been given the ok to giver her, yeah. But I'm not going to shove tylonol down her throat at the first hint of a sniffle. I just think it's better to let your body try to fight it off naturally first, and only use medication a a last resort.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Tylenol is not an antibiotic.
|

Extremely eHealthy
It was an example. ANY medication, antibiotics included.
|

replied February 12th, 2008
Experienced User
i understand what you mean, i know people who go to the doctor and get meds for every little thing - and they are always getting everything, no wonder when their immune system doesnt get a chance to build itself up, i on the other hand never go to the doc unless im actually worried about whats wrong - but not just for a little cold etc like some people
|

Extremely eHealthy
With Jay, I definitely will if I feel something's wrong, but you couldn't drag my ass to a doctors even if I was on my death bed Laughing I hate them.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Katrina, I think you're absolutely right about the antibiotics. It's not a good idea to take them unless absolutely necessary. Doctors sometimes prescribe them 'just in case' so it's little wonder we have such a problem with bacteria becoming resistant. My son has never had antibiotics yet and he's nearly three. He was prescribed them once as the doctor wasn't sure if he was going to get an infection or not and the surgery was going to be shut for a couple of days. As it was, he got better so I didn't have to give them to him.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Jay won't be getting any vaccines either, not until they find some that don't cause autism.
|

Katrinadoodle wrote:
Jay won't be getting any vaccines either, not until they find some that don't cause autism.

That vax is the mmr only. And recent studies show no link between it and autism.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Katrinadoodle wrote:

Just my opinion, but I think you should do a little more investigation into this subject before you make a big decision like this.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Katrinadoodle wrote:
futureshock wrote:

Those prescribed by a doctor or that I've been given the ok to giver her, yeah. But I'm not going to shove tylonol down her throat at the first hint of a sniffle. I just think it's better to let your body try to fight it off naturally first, and only use medication a a last resort.

futureshock wrote:
Tylenol is not an antibiotic.

Katrinadoodle wrote:
It was an example. ANY medication, antibiotics included.

Do you know what the difference is between Tylenol and antibiotics?
|

Extremely eHealthy
I have never been one to go to the doctors either. Unless absolutely necessary. I firmly believe that doctor's and hospitals are too quick to give meds when all a person really needs is some good old fashioned R & R to get feeling well again.

Obviously I would bring my kids to the doc if they appeared to be ill.

I think there are conflicting stories in regards to immunizations being linked to Autism. I know when I researched it it was found to possibly be the mercury in the vaccines that was the culprit. I honestly don't know.
I do know that as much of a struggle it would be to raise a child with Autism, I would hate to see my child suffer with polio, measles, mumps, rubella. If people stop immunizing their children we may end up with another outbreak.
Mumps has been seen recently. It just isn't a risk I would want to take, when those diseases are preventable.
|

Extremely eHealthy
arealmom wrote:
Katrinadoodle wrote:

That vax is the mmr only. And recent studies show no link between it and autism.

If you get one vaccination you have to get them all or schools won't take your kid. And I don't believe the "studies" for a minute. All of the cases of autism showing up in children after they get the shot are what, coincidences?

And yes FS, I know the difference between an antibiotic and a pain/fever reducer. Like I said, it was an example.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I am just making sure, because normally a person doesn't give an example of one thing that is unrelated to another.

Do you know what risks you would be taking if you do not give your child any vaccines?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Of course I do. She could get sick. She could get VERY sick. But at least if she catches the measles or polio, we do have medicine to fight it. There's no medicine to cure any form of autism. In my mind, it's the lesser of two evils.
|

replied February 13th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I hope you homeschool your children if you don't vaccinate them. It's your choice but it's also a public health issue and can affect what's known as "herd immunity". Booster shots are required as we grow older to re-strengthen the resistance to diseases. Those who are not vaccinated have a higher risk of contracting diseases and thus giving them bodies to reproduce and mutate in, which in turn puts the rest of the community at risk through exposure.

Vaccinated children can contract viruses from unvaccinated children without actually contracting the resulting illness, but they go home to their parents and older family members whose resistance isn't as strong and expose them to it as well. Pregnant women and cancer patients are especially vulnerable to illnesses. The same flu that could put your child on bedrest could also put other people in the hospital or kill them.

You can research which ones are suspected to cause autism and be selective but it's important to avoid an epidemic by reducing the number of viruses your children could contract, mutate and spread through the population.

I think that if humankind doesn't kill each other off first, a disease epidemic spread through carelessness will.
|

replied February 17th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Excellent info, thanks Darkmoon.
|

replied February 17th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Katrinadoodle wrote:
Of course I do. She could get sick. She could get VERY sick. But at least if she catches the measles or polio, we do have medicine to fight it. There's no medicine to cure any form of autism. In my mind, it's the lesser of two evils.

What medicines fight or cure polio? What about measles?
|
Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...