Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Weak eye causing discomfort after childhood surgery

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
User Profile
My 52 year old husband had lazy eye surgery as a 4 year old. Over the past few years that eye has become very weak. He says that he virtually no longer reads with that eye. This causes tremendous strain as he works on a computer & reads documents with small print all day at work. He's having lots of discomfort & has given up reading for pleasure. He saw an opthamologist & optomitrist. Both said nothing was wrong & there was nothing to fix. He wears prescription glasses. I believe it is a moderate prescription, not too strong.
We'd appreciate your input.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2008
Vision and Eye Disorders Answer A3713
Lazy eye (ambliopia) means that the brain stopped receiving impulses from one eye although that eye is OK. The brain excludes one eye in order to prevent double vision (diplopia). Diplopia is the main symptom of cross-eye disorder (strabismus). In strabismus, for some reason the mechanism of binocular seeing is disturbed. Ambliopia is in fact treated by treating the strabismus. Strabismus is often caused by paralysis of some eye-moving muscles. Treatment includes wearing glasses under a special regime and surgery.
You might consider asking for a second opinion from an ophthalmologist to confirm or exclude ambliopia.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vision and Eye Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.