Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery Forum

dealing with symmastia after breast augmentation

Hello everyone..I would like to share what im going through now with my symmastia. I had my first surgery in 2006 for breast aug. I was a small b and wanted to be a small c. I ended up with the problem immediately after surgery. I was sooo excited about having boobs! But when I tried on a cute top, I saw something was wrong with my cleavage. I told my doctor but he assured me everything was ok and that I was still swollen. So I said ok ,Ill just wait. 7 months past and I saw a show on E! about horrible sugery and there it was....SYMMASTIA. I was so shocked and I jumped on the internet to find out more about it, sadly I realized what I had. I went in for another consultation with another doctor and he confirmed that I had a uni-boob. I cried so much, all I could think about was why me? I was only 20 yrs old at the time, I am a nail tech, and I have been saving so long for my surgery, all I thought was how am I going to fix this? I eventually took the paper work to the old doctor and he then offered to correct this problem. So I aggreed which was the biggest mistake. I had "corrective" surgery in 2007 aout 9 months later after the first surgery. He had no ida what he was doing because his staff told me he had never performed a procedure like that before. I was furious! I went back in and tried to get a refund only because I wanted to sue him BUT after talking to a few lawyers, they all said that I should have never went back into surgery with him the second time. So I didnt get to sue but I did get a refund. So now we are 9 months after that and I met another doctor. I had my third surgery in jan 30 , 2008. It's only been 2 weeks in, but so far the results are good. I will post more info if you guys would like on the after results. thank you for reading my dilema and hope everyone takes very serious precautions before each and every surgery!
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank mon310 for this post: sally34  MeliM 

replied February 7th, 2009
symmastia repair questions??
How are you doing now? I do have a few questions about your 2nd BA. Like: how did he fix it, and when did you notice it wastnt fixed? Im in a symmastia recovery now and am just wondering when i can stop worrying if its going to come back.
|

replied March 22nd, 2009
Please respond
Hello,

My story is exactly like yours, same timeframes and everything, except that I have not yet had my 3rd surgery and I do have lawyers willing to litigate my case. Please let me know how your 3rd surgery results go. Please write me and let me know your results, who your surgeon was who corrected it, and where he is located. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you so much. --Michelle
|

replied April 19th, 2009
hi michelledm
im on my third ba and i have symmastia and i want to get it fixed asap but dont know where to go any ideas?
|

replied April 19th, 2009
plastic surgery
Thanks for sharing us your story mon. I think this is a lesson learned for all of us. We should only entrust our lives and health to the experts. That is why serious research is very important before going for any medical procedure.

To talia3, may I know where you are from? Can't your surgeon fix it? What are your preferences for your 3rd BA? I might give you suggestions. Smile
|

replied April 20th, 2009
hi again
yes my third op i would like high profile as these are moderate and have a diameter of 15.8 which clearly is a ridiculous size to squeeze in a small chest.my surgeon who did it has no experience in fixing symmastia if he did then he wouldnt have tried to fit these in in the first place.im in uk and dont know where i can go to get them fixed.i will ask for a refund and if they dont give it,then its court for them as its poor surgical error and very rare.hope you can help thanx
|

replied April 26th, 2009
I have read all these posts and I myself am in recovery from my 3rd breast surgery. I had tuberous breast malformation, its a genetic breast problem. I had my first surgery to correct this problem and everything seemed fine, after about a year I noticed my chest muscles were starting to lose their elasticity and the implants were rolling under my arm pits when I layed down. I went back to my doctor and he told me that he could correct the problem very easily. I went in for surgery the 2nd time and came out with this nightmare that I am still living I had symmastia after the 2nd surgery. I waited a year and a half to save money to get them fixed and I just came through my 3rd surgery about 4 days ago and I still don't think they are fixed. They just don't look right to me, everyone says its just the swelling and it will be fine, but this is my body and nobody has to feel the pain, anger, and self conciousness but me. I really need some encouragment because I feel so alone and angry. I have my 2nd post op dr. visit tomorrow afternoon and I can't even think, all I do is cry and ask why me?
|

replied June 18th, 2009
@talia3

sorry this seems to be a very late reply. How are you? Did you get a refund? Hope you did.

@babyj722

How was your visit to your doctor? I hope things go well...
|

replied December 17th, 2009
Symmastia
Sorry to hear about that. I had something similar, but worse. To correct rippling in the upper pole of my breasts, the surgeon put implants in the retro pectoral position (from under the gland). I now have symmastia plus the pectoralis muscle on the left side has been cut off (all of it except for the top bit), leaving the breast completely sagged, rippled and pulling down. I have constant pain and discomfort on that side, and I may have permanent nerve damage (I'm on meds). I couldnt get an appointment with the surgeon for 5 weeks, and when I finally went in to see him, the surgeon said there is nothing wrong. When I disagreed and suggested what was wrong, he told me that even if he could do somethign for me, he wouldn't because the "doctor-patient relationship" was problematic. During those five weeks, I went to three other surgeons and they charged me money and told me nothing is wrong. It turns out, the surgeons are all friends and covering for each other. I had to find out what is wrong with me by myself, by reading scientific journals, doing internet research and paying a lot of money for an MRI. I now have to figure out how to fix it.
|

replied January 26th, 2010
Hi there, i have symmastia and im desperate to have it repaired but im worried that it cant be corrected. I would be so greatful if you could let me know the name of the surgeon that fixd the symmastia. It is very upsetting to live with as you must know.
|

replied February 8th, 2010
What a relief,to have found this site..b/c I share a similiar story... I had my first breast augumentation at age 21 in 2007. I went to the same surgeon as my cousin did, so I trusted his work. However, early on I noticed something wrong with my cleavge and thought it was just from the swelling. I had regular follow ups with my doctor and he assure me everything was fine. After a couples months I KNEW something in fact was wrong.. I looked online and found Symmastia. I was horrified!!! I addressed it with my Dr. he told I didn't have it but that I had capsular contracture. Which I hear is worst..He told me to wait and see if anything would change. Fianlly, after close to two yrs, I had a 2nd surgery in 2009, I was excited to see the new results, and for about a WEEK it all looked well, I was excited. Unfortunately, it didn't last long, 2 wks post op, the nightmare reappeared. My Dr. tells me he doesn't know why this has happen and has not one clue of what to do but that I need a 3rd surgery. I now am in search of a new doctor. So, far I had consults with other surgeons and both have confirmed my symasstia and told me I also have "bottoming-out" not capstular contracture..If anyone knows of a good surgeon, please give me info. As I will also. Good luck to everyone. Thanks for reading.
|

replied February 12th, 2010
I can relate to how all of you feel. I had my first surgery when I was 18 (in 2003). In 2006, I had my second surgery to fix the problem. It looked great for a while...I went to my doctor today and was planning on having another surgery, but have to go back at a later date. He recommened getting a HP (High-Profile) silicone implant which is quite a bit narrower. During my last surgery, I went with a HP Saline impant, but that is not working out like expected. I have also made the decision that I am going to go smaller, as that may help me too. I was so frusterated after today, but got to talk to his nurse for a while. She has been through the same as all of us and has had 3 reconstructive surgeries to fix it. She HIGHLY recommended getting the "thong-bra" . Although they are very expensive, she credits alot of her recovery to it. I checked it out and am planning on purchasing one before I go in for my next surgery. We all will get through this, but not without a lot of frustration and tears!! I hope that we all can get our synmastia problems solved!
|

replied April 8th, 2010
TO MON310: I''m interested to know how you were able to get a refund..I''m currently trying to proceed in the same process. I''ve found a Dr. who may be able to fix my problem but wants to charge me $6,500, which I cant afford but am soooo fustrated with my symmastia, I''M DESPERATE!!
|

replied June 6th, 2010
Symmastia, yes me!
Hey girls....well i thought i was the only one, but def can relate to you alll. i already have 4 surgeries and heading to the 5th. This time LA, i found this great Dr his name is Steven Teitelbaum, and if you look at his website you can view pictures of procedures his done on symmastia. I havent had the surgery yet im just still looking before i leave to make sure im not heading to far for this procedur, but i guess its hard finding a good Dr. I know what it feels like but its worse for me becuase i used to model and with this problem everything went downhill. ive cried for a long time thinking about this problem, but i thank GOD that at least ive been out of those $ surgeries with life. So i take it as a lession.
The repair is extremely expensive but at this point all i want to do is fix my problem. dammmm i've spent a fortune on my boobs.
I guess i will have to let you guys know how everything comes out. But i have faith in God that this time everything will be fine. I'm just scared that this time, now that i found an expert for symmastia something will happen to me.
Pray for me that way everything comes out ok.

Thanks to all
|

replied June 6th, 2010
Hey girls....well i thought i was the only one, but def can relate to you alll. i already have 4 surgeries and heading to the 5th. This time LA, i found this great Dr his name is Steven Teitelbaum, and if you look at his website you can view pictures of procedures his done on symmastia. I havent had the surgery yet im just still looking before i leave to make sure im not heading to far for this procedur, but i guess its hard finding a good Dr. I know what it feels like but its worse for me becuase i used to model and with this problem everything went downhill. ive cried for a long time thinking about this problem, but i thank GOD that at least ive been out of those $ surgeries with life. So i take it as a lession.
The repair is extremely expensive but at this point all i want to do is fix my problem. dammmm i've spent a fortune on my boobs.
I guess i will have to let you guys know how everything comes out. But i have faith in God that this time everything will be fine. I'm just scared that this time, now that i found an expert for symmastia something will happen to me.

Thanks to all
|

replied June 6th, 2010

Thanks to all
|

replied June 12th, 2016
Hi pooh2614, Hope your revision surgery went well! Would you please tell me the experience with Dr. Steven Teitelbaum if you decided to do revision with him? I am looking for a great doctor who can fix my symmastia. I found his name by researching and he seemed to have operated on many cases. If you ended up having the operation with another doctor that you can recommend, I would love to hear about it too. Thank you!
|

replied June 10th, 2010
Hi... i posted on this site 5 yrs ago now,desperatly searching like many of you for a surgeon capable of rectifying symmastia...not easy as it is not an easy procedure to repair..Anyway 5 yrs on its been a long road and not quite over,i really wish i could post my pictures on here to give some insight in the mess i was left in,i can honestly say i have yet to come across pictures of symmastia as bad as mine,but im sure there are many.My 1st surgery was a normal breast enlargment but was sub glandular,having breast fed babies and being a tiny frame after lots of research it would have been more suitable to have a sub muscular as there were visible ripples and bagging,so my surgeon then agreed to do submuscular,after 5 days i new there was something wrong,they had slid laterally and i had a double bubble underneath the left breast,i then went to have another opinion at a different hospital,she was very good and said give it time to heal,as a few weeks progressed it became obvious there was a problem and u could now see one scar high up on my breast with a huge gap in my cleavage area,going back to the second opinion surgeon she said she could help and reasured me she could give me a better result,anyway i returned to my previous surgeon and it came to light that the 2 surgeons new eachother and started sticking together saying i should leave it as it was fine,but after fighting they agreed i could have a redo but by the 2nd surgeon and using a different profile,they were slighlty wider but flatter,finally i went for the 3 rd surgery but at the last minute she told me as she wanted to leave the previous scars to heal she was going to us new ones but reasured me they would not be visible,i was very apprehensive but went ahead thinking i was in capable hands ( breast cancer reconstructive surgeon )well i was extremely poorly after this surgery and 1 week after i had an alergic reaction to which the emergency untit thought it was the different type of implants,i lived on steroids for a while until my reaction settled..i had had enough by now,anyway worse was to come,it became clear 5 weeks after surgery that something was very wrong,my midline was really painful and my boobs were glueing together,my surgeon said dnt worry and placed elastoplast to seperate them,this was laughable as the tissue was healing by now,how was a plaster going to hold them apart..long story short... after being told they are the best i was going to get i walked out there with my husband gutted but also determined to find the answers,i went home and searched the net and came across a surgeon who instructed me that i had symmastia and he would do his best to help me,he was my saving grace... i had my implants removed and left them out for 15 months,it was the toughest time ive been through,i lost who i was as a woman,i was angry so decided i would fight this especially knowing there would be many afraid or lost not knowing where to turn..I can say now i have recently won my case just over £20,000 it will never give me back what i lost,but atleast they had to admit they failed as surgeons mainly because they washed there hands with the mess they left...POOH2614 please dont state it is worse for you as you were a model,we are all humans and have suffered as much as the next one,none of us are more important than the other here no matter what job we have ! but i do hope u get on the right track for a repair and wish u the best..i wish u all the best,fight for what is right,u never know u may just win x
|

replied November 6th, 2010
Does anyone have the name of a great surgeon in the San Francisco bay area? I too have symmastia, the doctor that over-dissected me tried to fix it but I didn't even know what it was at that time. It's worse now. I am 52 and a breast cancer survivor, it may be a different issue than with augmentation.
|

replied June 12th, 2016
Hi steppinout,
Did you even find a great surgeon to treat symmastia in the SF bay area? I am looking for one. I would appreciate if you share what you found. Thanks!
|