It's nice to have a forum like this where people know exactly what you are going through!! There is nothing worse than a doctor looking at you with pity and saying "really sucks doesn't it?"

i'm 26 years old and I have had migraines for about 6 years. They started suddenly when I was in my second year of university and I still haven't found my trigger. It's strange but my migraines usually come at the beginning of the year and at the end of the year. I'm lucky in that I have never had them more often than monthly but they are severe (with aura, vomiting, dizziness etc.). I have had one experience with partial facial paralysis (lasted for only a few minutes) and that feeling of water running down your face. I also have the ice pick headaches (i call them aftershocks..Lol). I had a ct scan about a year and a half ago and it revealed nothing unusual.

I have some questions for the migraine sufferers on here. Have any of you had any experiences with sleep problems prior to your migraines. For example, night terrors?

In trying to treat my migraines I have tried aspirin with coke, excedrin with aspirin, and maxalt. None of these help (except 2 excedrin with an aspirin really help ice pick headaches). Maxalt was the worst. My doctor prescribed it twice and both times it made the migraines repeat on themselves. Has anyone else experienced this with maxalt?

I don't know if I should go back to my doctor (who is at a loss as to what to do with me) and request a referral to a neurologist or not. For those of you who see a neuro did you find it helped or was it just another waste of time?

Lindsay
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 7th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Migraines
Hi!!I am a longtime migraine sufferer.I had severe migs as a teen and tried many things-diet elimination narcoticsnwithout relief.I went semi-veg 25 years ago.I figured it must be hormones and preservatives in meat,i did not have many(2-4 ayear!!)migs for 15-18 years.Last several years started with more frequency-totally related to my menstrual cycle.Track yours to see if they coincide with your cycle.I am seeing a neurolgist next week-my gyno said I needed an evaluation.Good luck!! Smile
|

replied May 10th, 2004
Migraines
I have had migraines for years and have been on just about every medication they have including narcotics and this is what I have found. I read a study about people who have regular migraines were found to be deficient in magnesium. They said it takes a couple of months to get in your system completely but will decrease the severity and frequene. I have been taking a magnesium supplement for about 9 months and I have had at most 2 migraines in the past 6 months. I love it! Also an idea on the ones that start at the end and beginning of the year, my doctor said that about 4% of migraine sufferers get cluster migraines, they do not last as long as a normal migraine but they last about 8 hours or more and are more severe, sometimes I felt that I would do anything to stop the pain. I also had facial paralysis with that type of migraine. I was told that men usually got cluster headaches but in rare cases woman who suffered migraines would get a combonation of both. Imatrex and malt didn't work for me either but sometimes an excedrin, ice pack, dark room, and quiet made it a little more tolerable. But the magnesium has definantly worked better than anything else.
|

replied May 13th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Migraines
I have heard about the magnesium studyand have started taking a supplement.It's only been a month or so,hope it works.
|

replied May 20th, 2004
Migraines
Hi, I am turning 30 tomorrow. I have been suffering from migraines for about six years. They started after my father died and have worsened since then. I have been to many doctors and tried just about all meds and nothing helps me at all. I have given up on trying. My husband has been suffering from them all his life and is missing a lot of work now as they are worsening for him. I am going to get him to start a multi vitamin and see a doctor this week. I appreciate this website so that I can read other comments from sufferers. Thanks for the mag suggestion. I was thinking of getting him some vitamins and I will make sure they have that in them.
Thanks again and good health to everyone!! Laughing
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....