Hello everyone,
in october i started feeling dizzy all of the sudden along with sweats nausea and shortness of breath and then i would have a headache for days after all of that would occur. it didnt happen for about a whole month and then in december it came back & its been persistent since then.
it seems that im always feeling off balanced but i get the full blown dizziness nausea ect. when i go out.

the kicker is that i also was just diagnosed with tmj so im trying to figure out if all of these symptons are my tmj or anxiety too?

does anxiety cause tmj or tmj cause anxiety?

help please Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I know anxiety can cause you yo clench and grind your teeth which wouldn't help make the TMJ better that's for sure. I also think that having TMJ is going to cause a bit of anxiety because it is a terrible thing to have to deal with because it is annoying an affect just about everything you do....sleeping, eating, talking...

Since the off-set of your jaw is so near your ears, it could be causing a fluid imbalance in your ear, making you dizzy. Dizziness can cause the nausea. I don't think TMJ would give you shortness of breath or cause excess perspiration though. You could have anxiety, but it could just be that your body is having normal reactions that anyone else would have under stressful circumstances, or your symptoms could be for other health reasons.

I will have my sister post for you too. She had surgery for TMJ and will be able to give you more insight.
|

replied February 11th, 2008
thanks a lot. that would be great.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Hey It sounds like you have anxiety and tmj. the anxiety will not help the tmj at all. Like mominashoe said it can effect your ears. Try to relax and to limit your stress as much as you can.

to help with the ears you may want to apply heat to your ears. Massage the muscles around the joint. I dont know your financial state but you may want to attempt to treat the jaw and the anxiety at the same time. I think that the anxiety is making your symptoms worse though--so my line of attack would be to treat the anxiety and get a mouth guard to protect your teeth.

another thing that helps is if you feel that you are tensing up contract your stomach muscles. also keep your teeth slightly apart with your tongue to the top of your mouth. if you make this a habit during the day it will"bleed" over into the night and you will do it while you sleep as well.

also keep your diet as soft as possible for the jaw.

Id be interested to hear of your other symptoms. I may have a suggestion that will help wtih your jaw.

we also have a tmj forum. feel free to come over and join us:)
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Oh I see she's already taken care of you in the TMJ forum Smile
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
lol--that was weird my post wasnt there and now it is bizarr.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Yeah, that's what I was thinking Razz
|

User Profile
Experienced User
response to tmj
I think that the tmj could cause the dizziness. I was diagnosed with tmj a long time ago, my mother has it too. The only thing I get from the tmj is a slight pain/tightness on the side of my face when i am really stressing. But my mother claims that tmj can cause dizziness too. But if you are having anxiety, that could cause sweating, shortness of breath, and lightheadedness.
|

thanks for the replies everyone. its really great to here advice. I actaully just started on a mouthgauard & posted in the tmj board.
thanks again!
|

replied March 5th, 2008
tmj
How are you doing with the anxiety? I developed symptoms around the sane time. Some thought it was labyrinthitis. Who knows. I am a teeth clencher and recently got a mouth guard and it helps alittle. But, the ear symptoms I get from the possible tmj give me anxiety. i'm sick of it and want my normal life back..Any info that has made you better is appreciated...thanks
|

replied March 6th, 2008
u could have fluid in your ears which could cause the dizziness.. then when u start feeling that u might get kinda scared that your feeling dizzy then being scared that your feelin that way could cause u to get even more dizzy
get it ???
try pushing up under your ear lobe thats usaually how u can tell ifu have fluid in there because u can feel the fluid coming up near the opening of the ear
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...