User Profile
Dante hasn't had a bowel movement in 2 days now. Are there any safe and effective things I can do to help him poop?

I hate seeing him in pain cuz he can't take a crap Sad

Oh yea, good note....

He's 2 months old today!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 10th, 2008
Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding him?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
breastfeeding
|

It is normal for a BF baby to go days without a poop. Does the baby seem to be in pain? Or are you just concerned about the lack to pooping?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
arealmom wrote:
It is normal for a BF baby to go days without a poop. Does the baby seem to be in pain? Or are you just concerned about the lack to pooping?

He seems to be in pain. I'm not sure if it's from not pooping or just built up gas. I bought some Mylicon drops and just gave him some so maybe that'll relieve the gas.
|

You can try gripe water as well. Also, cycle kicking his legs can help with gas.

http://www.kellymom.com/index.html

Excellent website for nursing moms.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks for your help and that website. Smile
|

Your welcome.
|

Especially eHealthy
it's normal for them to NOT poop, but if he's in pain(or seems to be), you can get INFANT(or pediatric) suppositories and just wriggle it around in his bottom.

DO NOT PUT IT IN AND LEAVE IT!! You CAN cut it in 4 pieces and leave one piece in, but that won't be necessary!

Just the anus being aggravated will give him the urge to poop! We had to do this to Nya last Monday!

I'm sure he'll feel SOOO much better once he poops!!

Sarah
|

Experienced User
OK before suppositories (I know docs LOVE to use these but...)

You need to figure out why he's in pain. If his tummy is soft, he might be in pain due to a stomach upset from something you ate that passed through the breast milk. He may just be a little gassy, which the mylicon drops and tepid water in a bottle will help. He may also be finishing his 8 week growth spurt, and the lack of poop is just a side effect. Babies get growing pains to!

If his tummy is hard, that means severe gas and/or bowel block up. Warm baths + belly massages + working his legs. When adults as backed up, doctors tell us to move more. Some babies can also receive 1oz prune juice + 3oz water (if your doctor OKs this) via a bottle.

Use OTC suppositories as a last resort. Not only is it better for their bowels, but suppositories can have unintended consequences on babies (such as projectile poop). I've worn baby poop before because of suppositories - it's not pleasant. =)
|

Especially eHealthy
LOL @ projectile baby poop!!

If it's loose bowles, yea it CAN project pretty far! HAHAHA!!

Oni's came out hard THEN gooey...QUICK! It's just the anal stimulation that gets em like "WOOOOAH!!! EXIT ONLY!!!"

I've tried a thermometer, but it's not round enough to stimulate.

YOu're advice is right. I"ve been constipated for the past couple days, and the ONLY way I can get things movin is if I massage (firmly) my lower belly, right above my pubic bone. I rub it briskly and pretty firmly massage it, and it stimulates my intestines and helps me go!!

Sarah
|

Especially eHealthy
babymajic0506 wrote:
LOL @ projectile baby poop!!

If it's loose bowles, yea it CAN project pretty far! HAHAHA!!

Oni's came out hard THEN gooey...QUICK! It's just the anal stimulation that gets em like "WOOOOAH!!! EXIT ONLY!!!"

I've tried a thermometer, but it's not round enough to stimulate.

YOu're advice is right. I"ve been constipated for the past couple days, and the ONLY way I can get things movin is if I massage (firmly) my lower belly, right above my pubic bone. I rub it briskly and pretty firmly massage it, and it stimulates my intestines and helps me go!!

Sarah

The pain medication you were taking can cause constipation. Drink some prune juice and make sure to drink tons of water (esp. for breast feeding!!) it will help!
|

Experienced User
babymajic0506 wrote:

That's exactly how it happens. There's usually a little hard bit that just hangs out and backs everything else up. Since the baby isn't pooping, we LOAD THEM UP on liquids and food and everything else, leaving an intestine full of gooey, watery goodness waiting to explode all over the couch.

I'm so glad I'm through that phase. yes
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
LOL He finally pooped like not even an hour after I wrote this and now he seems soo much happier. Smile
|

Especially eHealthy
Oh man, I can't drink anymore water!! LOL!

Thank God for Crystal Light, cuz I'd DIE. Plain Jane water gets boooorrriiinngg!! LOL!

I drink in between 10-12 cups. I have the huge measured cup & straw from the hospital. It helps me chug instead of take sips.

I'm glad he's feeling better!! Was the poop hard?

Sarah
|

replied February 11th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
even a q tip...just take his diaper off, and gently touch his anus with the tip of it....I did this to Nicholas a couple weeks ago and it worked..don't shove it in it, just on the outside...also put him on the back and bring his knees up to his chest, and do the bicycle motion.
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
it's normal for a newborn to go days without a bowel movement, but if he is in pain while going for a poop, then you have to keep an extra eye on him. but im glad he did a poop after this thread
|
Tags: parenting
Quick Reply
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....