Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Why did I miss my period ?

User Profile
I have missed my period since october 21st 2007. I still havent gotten it... its not been 3 months..i took a home pregnancy test and it was negative...i waited a bit and went to the hospital and they took a blood test and that too turned out negative....is there a possility i could still be pregnant and its just no showing up? or what else could be causing me to miss my period? and does ur egg still drop say on my second month or third month of not having my period?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2008
Pregnancy Answer A3691
A mome pregnancy test can sometimes show a false negative but blood pregnancy tests are 100% on target so you are probably not pregnant. According to your age (late teens), lack of menstruation could be due to the presence of a functional ovarian cyst. Functional ovarian cysts usually originate from an ovarian follicle or yellow body. Functional cysts are hormonally active which means that they can produce hormones. The hormones produced by the cyst, in turn, prevent the expulsion of the egg-cell also known as ovulation. The same hormones also act on the endometrium and delay the menstrual period as long as the cyst is active. Functional ovarian cysts are usually active for a couple of months. Ovarian cysts (including functional) can be seen and confirmed with an ultrasound scan. If your period is late for more than 3-4 months you can consult a gynecologist for advice and a more precise diagnosis.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.