User Profile
If you're pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant, how do you plan on supporting a baby financially as a teenager/young mum?

If you already had a baby as a teenager, how do you/did you support him/her financially being so young?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
This could get ugly.
|

Extremely eHealthy
kaiteo wrote:
This could get ugly.

I agree!!

I had my daughter when I was 18. I worked full-time and many times went without things that I wanted so my daughter had everything she needed. Her father was not around and didn't pay a dime of support and taking the welfare route wasn't what I wanted, so I did it on my own.

I had my parents to fall back on, but my having a child when I wasn't financially stable wasn't my parents problem, so I didn't depend on them. Anytime I did borrow money I paid it back as soon as I could.

We struggled and there were times that I honestly didn't think we would make it, but we did and I feel that I am a much stronger person for it. My daughter who is now almost 18 has a great respect for money and doesn't spend frivilously. She knows how hard it was and she has friends who have babies. I don't think she would make that choice for herself.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Mommy35 wrote:
kaiteo wrote:
This could get ugly.

I agree!!

I had my daughter when I was 18. I worked full-time and many times went without things that I wanted so my daughter had everything she needed. Her father was not around and didn't pay a dime of support and taking the welfare route wasn't what I wanted, so I did it on my own.

I had my parents to fall back on, but my having a child when I wasn't financially stable wasn't my parents problem, so I didn't depend on them. Anytime I did borrow money I paid it back as soon as I could.

We struggled and there were times that I honestly didn't think we would make it, but we did and I feel that I am a much stronger person for it. My daughter who is now almost 18 has a great respect for money and doesn't spend frivilously. She knows how hard it was and she has friends who have babies. I don't think she would make that choice for herself.

Wow. What an amazing woman you are.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
i didn't plan on getting pregnant at sixteen, but i was fortunate enough to have family around to help. as soon as i was pregnant, bobby went out and got a full time job. i was already working, so i had money coming in.
we've had problems in the past with money and at the moment we are struggling, but i know we can get through this like we've done before. william's never gone without. he doesnt have the best toys and clothes, but hes had everything he needs.
at the moment, i pay rent, i pay poll tax, electricty and water supplies, so i'm not using the government to get by. it is hard, but we're managing
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I worked throughout my pregnancy, & Chris has always had a full-time job. I had my own place (when I was still with Gabe's dad), but when he moved out, I tried to do it on my own, but I just couldn't afford it, & I got evicted. I live at my parents' house, now. I have a job, & I'm looking for a 2nd job. I'm not getting any child support, yet. Still waiting on that one. I don't have money for gas, food for myself, clothes for myself, nothing. I am lucky that my parents are letting me stay here until I have a more steady income & get on my own feet again. It's really not easy. Even though I don't pay rent- I still struggle with money, it's really rough. Especially when you're doing it on your own. I have my family- but Gabe is not their son, & I rarely ask them for anything.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Well I have worked since I was about 14 and always saved my money pretty good so I had quite a bit in savings. I also got a new job shortly after brayden was born and its quite good for only being part time. Bac also works part time while going to school full time. With both of our jobs we have never had a problem getting by. We do have WIC which has helped but then again if it wasn't there it wouldn't have hurt us to bad either. Right after brayden was born I didn't want to us all of my savings at once to pay the medical bills so I set up payments plans with the dr/hospital so that as my paycheck came in I could pay a portion of my bills, put some in savings, and pay for all the other little things we really needed. My mom watches brayden about 50% of the time (because she wants to!) and he goes to a great day care the other 50% so that cuts cost on baby sitting but we plan on putting him in daycare full time within the next year.

Edited to add.. Also when I needed to get things like a babyswing, bouncer, crib etc...I asked for them for my birthday and christmas presents instead of other things. I've always prefered getting practical gifts anyways-better then an ugly sweater I'd never wear!
|

Especially eHealthy
this was also posted in teen pregnancy and i already posted there so....
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
hmmm well... i had a job that i loved but i worked around 36 hours with them plus i had a job at the weekends which was more like a hobbie to me but i got payd for it and it was over two nights soo technicly i did 48 hours with them lol but its something i always did and it didnt feel like i was doing around 84 hours a week lol.
i didnt get much money for it but i was young and i didnt need much. scott had joind the army and when i found out that i was preg we realized that with my income and his income we were doing great. we bought lots of stuff for the baby and was soo excited. when he went out to Iraq i was like spend spend spend. and i was still working.

when i got told the bad news at 7 months it wasnt hitting me Sad untill one day i was around 8 months preg. i realized he wasnt coming home from iraq. and i just broke down.

i had to do it all by myself and to be honest everyone was there for me and to this very day i dnt think anyone would of let me go anywhere by mysel.

i still stay at home and pay diggs to my mum but i will need to find a place soon.
my sister moved out not long ago and baby scott moved into his own room but now as i have anuther cuming i need more space lol
xxxxx
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
men
my man is always going out loves his baby but i think he has gone off me
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...