Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Ankles pain & running

Alright. i just started to work out again, after buying the game halo 3 on Sept 25, and i just started working out again this past monday. i always start with running, and i noticed something about my ankles when i was running. They burned with pain, a lot. I kept running, and have done so everyday till this friday. I again, ran for 30 to 45 minutes, and when i took off my socks and shoes, i noticed both my ankles were swollen, and purple. After about 5 mins, the pain and swelling, along with the purpleness, go away. I'm asking this, cause I've gained about 20 pounds since i stopped working out, and just before sept 25, i had sprained my left ankle. Is this normal, just wondering. Oh, and nothing had happened to my right ankle previously, so i wonder why both are acting like this. And if there is anyway to make them stop doing this faster, then just running everyday, it'd be great if someone could help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 8th, 2008
Experienced User
Um, ur joints are undoubtedly not used to having to run with 20 lbs more body mass. In addition, just the fact that u haven't ran in a while probably contributed to the swelling since ur body wasn't ready for the running.
|

oh, yeah, i thought it was something along those lines. Thanks bro. Just trying to make sure theres no problems with my ankles.
|

Experienced User
If you can run 30-45 minutes without stopping (which I guess is 3-6 miles), I certainly doubt you have an ankle problem, since the average person in America and probably worldwide cannot do that.
|

replied June 15th, 2009
Not giving adequate time to heal from an injury can further exacerbate the problem. We tend to over compensate muscles from injuries.

Don't forget to stretch, and always warm up. A steady, moderate pace, work your way up. It is always a good idea to keep up with your Doctor, you and your Doctor are your bodies health managers.
|

replied July 13th, 2009
i am a runner in high school....i get it too....roll your ankles for like a minute on each side...and before you go for your run, you should do a warm-up run....around 1-1.5 miles at a slow pace...this gets your body warmed up...then stretch really good and go for your run
|

replied November 29th, 2009
Ankle joint pain and swelling due to workout
I used to jog (on the spot) for 30 mins each day with quick short steps. Lately I began to jog with heavier steps (so to say) by lifting my feet higher. Ever since that, my right ankle feels painful and looks swollen. And now i've had to stall my workout altogether till I feel better. Any comments or guidelines will help.
Thanks
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....