Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

headaches during pregnancy

I am 23 weeks pregnant and i am just wondering if anyone else is experiencing frequent headaches? It seems like i have a headache almost everyday and although they vary in intensity, it is becoming quite annoying. My doctor says it is ok to take tylenol occasionally, but with the frequency of these headaches, i am hesitant to take that much tylenol, plus, it rarely works. My doctor also says they could be caused by low blood pressure. So my doc doesnt seem too concerned, but I just wondered if any of you have any ideas or tips on how to releive a headache without resorting to tylenol? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Can you tell me where the headache is? Is it an "all over ache" or is it mainly in the front or mainly in the back. Depending on where it is, I can give you advice on what to do Smile
|

replied February 11th, 2008
They are usually all over...but sometimes more in the front. Any advice would be appreciated! thanks!
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
The headaches that are just "general" can be caused by hormone changes...the kind that a lot of women get when they have morning sickness. There is no way to directly target the cause of this kind of headache (except not be pregnant lol) but you can soothe it by cool compresses on your forehead and or aromatherapy. I used to have a special sachet of herbs and lavender that could be heated or cooled and it was really nice for that.

The ones in the front are usually sinus headaches (sometimes also from tense muscles in your face too). You may not feel very congested nasally, but hormones cause sinus issues for most pregnant women. If you take some olive oil (or some of your favorite moisturizer) you can massage the ache right out of your head by massaging your sinuses. Avoid getting anything on your eyes of course..... gently start rubbing from the bridge of your nose and move outwards underneath your eyes where your cheekbone is. Then do the same farther up: start from between your eyebrows and work your way outward above your eyebrows towards your ears. Then make long strokes from between your brows upwards to your hairline. This is very relaxing and will help you a ton and also provides anti-aging benefits for the face.

The other thing you can do is use "head-on", which is non-medicated and homeopathic. I have used it myself and it does seem to help. They have different kinds for different headache causes and it is pregnancy safe Smile

Hope this helps.
|

Thank you so much. I will be trying all of the above!!! Smile
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Hi there
I've been experiencing headaches too. I'm 12 weeks. Everyone told me I wasn't drinking enough water...so now that I'm waterlogged, no more headaches.
How much water are you drinking during the day.
|

replied February 12th, 2008
Hi there. i usually drink about 3 or 4 bottles of water a day so I dont think that is the problem. However, last night the doctor says he wants me to take an iron supplement becuase my iron levels are low (i dont eat a lot of red meat) So he says that could also be contributing to my headaches. Thanks for the suggestions and congrats on being headache free! Smile
|

Experienced User
Yeah the iron could be the cause but 3 of 4 bottles isn't enough water try drinking more
|

Especially eHealthy
if they are 16 oz bottles and shes has 4 a day thats the right amount. you are recommended to have 64 ozs a day
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....