User Profile
I can't go to bed, I have extreme pain in my chest area that radiates to my baack , it feels like muscle spasms and i have really bad pain in my stomach area. i had marinated mushrooms, nuts, and 2 cups of coffee today - i am also taking something for acid reflux, though not officially diagnosed but it doesnt help. i feel like if someone were to give me a message it may help but is very constricting. it happens more often now, at work, I dont need to eat anything and it still happens, i hafve problems breathing sometimes, it feels like anxiety but i don't thk so , i have shortness of breath e when i sleep often. I have trouble sleeping and getting a good night of sleep , never comfortable, i always feel some physical discomfort sleeping. is it just acid reflux?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2008
Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass, and Colon Disorders Answer A
YOU WROTE:

List of family related illnesses: colon cancer, diabetis, heart disease, lung cancer, bipolar disorder, pfeiffer syndrome, hydrocephilitis, arnold chiari syndrome, cirrhosis of the liver

List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: mitral valve prolapse, had a virus in the heart, treated with atacand? moodiness/anger outbursts took antianxiety medicines (effexor, buspar) but no longer. herniated disc in my neck and bulging discs , some athritis in neck area. i know im very dehydrated.

Current medical status: saw a doctor and they gave acid reflux medicine

Current medical treatment: also was sent to hav an mri of head , blacked out for a second while driving in heavy traffic on my way to work, bumped a car on the highway but traffic was moving so slow dont know what happend. no signs, accept excess mucous in sinus cavities

According to the symptoms you report (breathing problems, chest pain that radiates to the back, stomach pain, acid reflux, can’t sleep at night…), you can request several diagnostic procedures to help locate the source of your symptoms.

First, you can request a physical examination (inspection, palpation and auscultation) by your GP or family doctor. Then you'll need an ECG and blood pressure measurement to check the cardio-vascular system. Ischemic heart problems (angina pectoris for example) are not normally diagnosed for people your age (in the mid-30's) but a heart problems have to first be excluded because of your medical history.

Further, a lung auscultation can help diagnose possible lung disorders (bronchitis for example), but sometimes lung functional tests and provocation tests can be requested to exclude asthma. An X-ray image of the chest etc. can be also requested to exclude possible lung infection (pneumonia) and lung tumors.

Nect, the gasto-intestinal system can be checked via a gastroscopy and abdominal ultrasound. Standard blood analyses plus Helicobacter pillory-serology can be also performed. Gastritis, duodenitis, peptic ulcer, hiatus hernia, gallstones, GERD… can cause your symptoms.

If all these procedures show nothing the one remaining diagnostic possibility is that you are experiencing anxiety disorder which, is possible.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.