Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

exercise and eating with hypoglycemia

When should a hypoglycemic exercise, what / how soon before should they eat, and what should they eat before/during/afterwards, id like examples please mate. Ive heard people take snacks and eat during. For info I like to do 30 minute runs. PS can hypoglycemia cause hair loss?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I suppose hair loss COULD be a symptom, but I've never heard of it, you hear more about skin conditions like dandruff and such. You can exercise whenever you want when you're better, but starting out it may be best to wait until a little later in the day when sugar levels are higher. Don't go on a full meal, but before working out, have an orange, that works wonders. Afterwards, if I happen to eat, it's a usual meal, but if it will be a little while I eat some unsweetened apple sauce to get the muscles happy and such.
|

replied April 18th, 2008
exercise/eating
Paulo,

I believe hair loss is a symptom of diabetes and not hypoglycemia. However, I guess it could be a symptom of hypo as well.
|

replied June 16th, 2008
REALLY??
I have been diagnosed with psoriasis- which scares me for future possibilities of developing R.A. but.... maybe my dandruff is due to hypoglycemia? WOW that's a great suggestion. I'll look into it.
Can anyone recommend a good doctor, that is knowledgeable in treating hypoglycemia in S.C.?
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
No, don't know unfortunately. They're not easy to find, and even if they are, you can hear what you need to here from me and others for free, changing your diet to an overall healthy experience won't hurt you, unless I told you something ridiculous like drink gasoline. Obviously, I'm not. One thing first, have you tried using simple Head and Shoulders? I know that may sound stupid, but though there may be a connection, I tried it and my dandruff was gone in about a week. I just use it regularly (once a day) and nothing. The connection seems to be that some people with hypoglycemia or sensitive systems that lead to it have increased natural oil production, which in turn increases the amount in the hair and on the skin, leading to bad acne (I had this when I was younger) and dandruff. The latter ends up being due, in most cases, to extra oil on the scalp, which causes the natural fungus we all have there to multiply out of control. If you try Head and Shoulders and it works, that's what it was.
|

replied July 8th, 2010
Relation between hypoglycemia and Insulin Resistance
Insulin resistance is common in people with hypoglycemia and can cause a whole bunch of things to happen including headaches, cold sweats, hair loss, acne and acanthosis nigricans.
|
Quick Reply