User Profile
Okay, this might sound silly but I'm in a bind.

I'm leaving for college around June 1st and I'm moving to Omaha, Nebraska. I have a lot of family there, and they've offered to let me stay with them, but there's a problem. In one house there is 7 people, it's already crowded. In another house there are 4 people with two bedrooms, so I wouldn't fit there, and in another there are 6 people with 3 bedrooms, I also would not fit there. I have no idea where they plan to put me.

I'm thinking of just moving into an apartment myself and finding a room mate once I'm there. I'm going to college for cosmetology so I could do evening classes, so I was thinking about watching like 4 kids during the day, so I'll be getting paid more than at a fast food restaurant or something.

What do you think? What type of pricing should I expect with utilities and things like that?

My mom thinks I need to just move in with someone up there, but I don't want to be crowded. I'm so grateful for their offers, I really really am & I was really considering it when my mom told me that my aunt was going to move into my house here and I'd move into her room up there, but she's not now.

I just don't want to seem like a jerk for not taking up their offers, and I don't want people to think that I have an unrealistic view of what it's going to be like in the real world. I plan to work for what I want, I just need a little bit of advice. =)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I think even though you don't want to it would be nice for you to live with someone in your family instead of jumping in head first. Your *just* moving there ya know? Give yourself time. I'm sure you wont be there too long but let them give you help, I would!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I know, I still don't know completely what I want to do.
I just look at Tommy, & he moved out at 17 & into college full time & he's doing great. But then again, he's really responsible and stuff.

I'm just trying to look at both options.

I am still thinking about taking them up on their offer, I just worry a lot and I don't think there's enough room at all.

eeeeey.
|

Especially eHealthy
who would be your roommate if you found an apartment? maybe you could move in with family until you make some friends and then maybe one of them would want to get a place with you.

the cost of living is different everywhere, so we can't help you with pricing or anything. i never would have been able to afford living on my own fresh out of high school where i live now, everything is outrageous here. but i was able to get by in phoenix and i only worked part-time in retail (and had money to spare), everything there is insanely cheap.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
My friend Becky "said" she would move up there with me and go to college there. I didn't ask her to, but she said "ooh I wanna go!" but you know how that is. So I don't know who would be my room mate. That does make sense though, to move in with my cousins until I find someone & then I won't have to foot the bills until I find someone!

I found a 2 bedroom apartment for about 500 dollars btw! So I think between two people that could be affordable. But I definitely agree that I need to live with one of them until I find someone to help me. Smile
|

Especially eHealthy
terra maybe you could get a job and stay with someone for a while until you have some time to save up a little bit? that will also give you time to find a relaible roomate too. that way you can find someone who you really trust to make thier end of the rent. i know what you mean about being to crowded though. if i do end up having to go live with my mom when travis parents move its going to be cowded too Sad
|

Extremely eHealthy
Trust me Terra, coming from someone who lives in a house with a trillion people and when my sisters family come over with their kids, oh my god! 6 people is not a lot! Lol
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
haha how many people live with you Mel?

I just keep thinking about living with 5 year old triplets everyday *bangs head on desk* haha
|

User Profile
Supporter
3 bedroom 5 people in my house lol
|

Extremely eHealthy
CaNdItAs CrAzY LaNd wrote:
3 bedroom 5 people in my house lol
I outdid ya girl! I got 4 bedrooms and 9 people living in my house. . . when my little sister comes over about twice a week it gets insane because there are 3 toddlers running around! It gets crazy but you get use to it! And it;s not a permanant thing anyway right? Just until you can get going on your feet. FOr some people it's easy, others it's not.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Yeah Smile

I think it's a good idea for me to go back to kmart (Like I've been planning) and start saving my money when I get paid instead of just blowing it. & then when I move out I can live with one of them for a little while and keep saving & move out when I have the money for a deposit and first months rent and things for the apartment.

That really does sound like a smarter idea.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...