Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Lactose Intolerant - Other Sources of Calcium

I have been lactose intolerant since I was 13. I love ice cream and cake, and so I purchase over the counter lactaid pills. My doctor recommended me to drink lactose free milk, which I do, because I am lacking in calcium. I was wondering if there are other sources of calcium (in food) in which I could consume to boost up my calcium intake without having to resort to taking lactaid pills and calcium supplement pills?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2008
Community Volunteer
You can always drink the calcium fortified orange juice. I thought it would taste nasty, but it doesn't taste any different than regular orange juice.

It must be hard being lactose intolerant. I love ice cream and I would hate to have to take a pill to enjoy it!

There are quite a few foods that are higher in calcium that are lactose free and I found a link that will help you with it Smile

http://www.dfwnetmall.com/veg/plantfoodshi ghcontentcalcium.htm
|

replied February 15th, 2008
I've tried orange juice but most calcium fortified orange juice are lacking in vitamin D, which is required for the body to absorb calcium.

Thank you for the other list though. It was very helpful.
|

replied October 9th, 2008
Lactose intolerance?
I am trying to figure out if i am lactose intolerant. I can drink milk but, i have found out that i can't eat cheese. I am not sure if it can be one thing or all of them combined. Is there any suggestions?
|

User Profile
replied October 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Milk has more lactose than cheese, if you're ok with milk then you may want to consider other possibilities because normal milk has a good amount of lactose.

It could be something else in the cheese
|

replied November 13th, 2008
I have the same problems. I enjoy Silk brand soy milk. Get the vanilla flavor. You can get it fortifled with vitamin D and it's about the same sugar content as milk. Very tasty!
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you tried rice milk?

I used to love soy milk... until I tried rice milk Wink

Although I never tried the vanilla flavor, original always seemed kind of sweet to me. Maybe next time I'll give it a try anyways.
|

User Profile
replied July 7th, 2009
lactose intolerants
Outline any nutrients they may be lacking due to lactose intolerants and what foods they need to eat to provide the missing nutrients.

can any one help me with this question im having hard times to answer it thank you Smile
|

User Profile
replied July 20th, 2009
lactose intolerance and nutrients
vitamin D and calcuim would probably be the main ones. a good substitute for milk which may give you those is lactofree. they produce lactose free dairy products, so they'd probably still have the essential nutirents but without the nasty effects of lactase.
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2009
thank u soooo much
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....