I don't mean to be dramatic, but I need some serious help. I'm a 36 year old mail with a disturbingly long laundry list of problems, and I've managed to get myself wrapped up in self-diagnosis insanity and simply can't figure out what to do.

I have emotional issues that need to be addressed, and I am aware of that, but my problem(s) right now is (are) physical.

sometime in the fall of 2006 I noticed a lump under my jaw. Of course my heart dropped. I went to a doctor in December of 2007. He said "I don't feel any lump." COmpletely nonchalant. I went to multiple docs after that, and all said "I don't feel anything"

Finally I went to an "alternative" clinic in Irvine, and the doc there sent me for a cervical and abdominal ultrasound. They found several enlarged nodes in my neck/under my jaw, none over 2cm but a couple close. The report also stated that my spleen was enlarged.

Bloodwork at the time (and all previous and since) was normal, except I was shown to have elevated levels of EBV. Not an acute infection...but chronic?

Anyway...since last fall when I noticed the lump...my health has gotten worse and worse. I have almost no energy, and am completely terrified that I have developed a blood cancer. I can feel multiple small nodes in my neck on the left side, including some down near the pit near my clavicle. NONE are large, at all. NONE distend the skin...nothing is BIG, but there seem to be a LOT of them. They are mildly tender sometimes as well.

Other constitutional symptoms include flattened (almost square looking) stool, temperature problems (feel hot, clammy, chills, but no fever!), occasional night sweats (but nothing consistent, and was only bad when I had the flu recently), and fairly severe dizziness. I have had vertigo attacks most of my adult years...maybe once a year lasting only a few hours.

The thing is...I've already been to several doctors...I've spent thousands on testing and have NO results, and at this point I wake up every day thinking I have cancer and that I'm a goner. I can barely function and my life is truly completely on hold.

Part of me wants to go to (yet another) doctor and say LOOK, I need a biopsy done to PROVE to me that I don't have cancer, but Im not sure if I want to know! Yes, the mystery would be over, but then I would be stuck in the cut/burn/poison realm, or (equally as bad) stuck with "alternative" methods which are immmensely confusing, diffuse, and most of the time clearly just a scam!

I am at a total loss here, completely paralyzed, and it really seems that NO ONE can help me!

I've tried to talk to the people who care about me, but they dismiss my concerns because I am a big, strong looking guy, but I don't feel big and strong most of the time. I feel weak, tired, listless, malaise, and DREAD every single damn morning when I wake up.

This can't go on much longer...I am at my wits end.

SOMEONE, please help me?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2008
Community Volunteer
If it would make you feel better going to another doctor then I think you should and if you want a biopsy to prove once and for all that you do or do not have cancer then I don't see how that could or should be a problem. Just because you are a big strong man doesn't mean that something may or may not be going on with your health. I am no doctor but if I were you I would insist on a biopsy, if that is what it will take to set your mind at ease. Good luck to you..
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 29th, 2008
Herbs that fight viruses include olive leaf extract,
pau d'arco (lapacho), monolaurin, oregano oil,
elderberry and rosemary, which you can find in
any health food store.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/queryd. fcgi?CMD=search&DB=PubMed

http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?sho wtopic=8305&pid=82633&mode=threade d&start=#entry82633
Did you find this post helpful?

replied November 26th, 2010
Sounds like chronic mono. I have the same thing. None of my lymph nodes, which are all over your body, are increased in size. You might what to have them check your thyroid too. But its a good excuse to take a long vacation and rest. Drink plenty of fluids and don't over do it. Make sure you guard your spleen since it is enlarged. Ask for a CT scan also. My spleen is getting larger and maybe have to have it removed. I have constant pain below my ribs. Hope this helps
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 13th, 2011
Excuse my ignorance but What is EBV? Your enlarged spleen could be the reason why ur health is getting worse. I have enlarged spleen, I have had many of the symptoms, chills, fever, pain, tenderness, tireness, lack of sleep, anxiety, vertigo, headaches, lymph nodes. The Doctor recomended several test, VDRL, HIV, HEPATITIS A, B and C. kidneys, liver test, also he made a BONE MARROW test. AND OTHER INMUNE test. None of them were positive, there is no aparent reason for my enlarged spleen my doctor said it has to be removed.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 8th, 2011
i have enlarge spleen & some disorder in lft.plz suggest me some medicine
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Consult internist to evaluate you.
If lymph nodes were more than 2cm in size and spleen was enlarged then you have to go for CT abdomen and pelvis. I would suggest you to have serum lactate dehydrogenase level as well.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Got pain under your left side ribs? Is your left abdomen swollen or tender to touch? You might be dealing with a problem related to the spleen!...
Certain diseases can cause the spleen to swell to several times its normal size. Learn the signs and symptoms of spleen problems here....
An enlarged spleen is the result of an underlying disorder. What spleen disorders do doctors consider during diagnosis? What tests do they use?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Spleen , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.