I had a few beers at a super bowl party last night and man am I feeling my old symptoms again. Does anyone know how long does it takes for the anxiety and terrible feelings associated with alcohol to pass? What is the effect alcohol has on hypoglycemia sufferers (biologically speaking)? Does it raise or lower blood sugar? I woke up this morning and my blood sugar level was 107 which is pretty good. But I feel like it is low due to anxiety and the blues.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 5th, 2008
yup, you will feel the effects for a few days at least. i stay away from alcohol now basically 100%. it is basically the worse thing for my hypoglycemia. one glass of red wine will send me into a tail spin of anxiety - it's just so not worth it.
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Just remember this, alcohol is one of the most simple of CARBOHYDRATES in the world, that's what it is. Very quick acting and very quick rises in glucose because of it, not to mention stress on the liver, which is key in glucose metabolism. It can take up to two weeks for the symptoms to pass. 107 is actually not pretty good, though not high, it would be considered pre-diabetic, which means that if you get readings like this often you're not eating right and are slowly getting diabetes.
|

replied April 18th, 2008
hypo and alcohol
I have been having a terrible time with alcohol lately. I basically can't drink it anymore. If I have any alcohol at all I have a ton of anxiety and feel like I'm going to be sick or pass out. It causes me to become dizzy, and I get really hot like I'm going to pass out - sometimes I even start to sweat and I just feel like I need to lay down. It's terrible! I was having wine a lot - going wine tasting with friends, and I quickly learned that wine tasting is a hobby that I just can't have! Well, at least I can't drink the alcohol. That was one of the indicators for me actually that my hypoglycemia was getting worse and worse - my reaction to alcohol was different and I also started having a lot of symtoms after I ate as well. I think alcohol and hypoglycemia definitely do not mix! For me, it takes just a few hours for the anxiety associated with alcohol to pass. I have to eat something, and lay down somewhere and usually just go to sleep - and a few hours later I'll feel better. I think alcohol raises blood sugar. I'm the same way as lulu - a glass of red wine just isn't worth it!
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2009
For me it takes three days for the symptoms to go away. I feel like I have a three day hangover and I'm really, really tired. It isn't worth it to me.
|

replied June 14th, 2012
Kybratcher is complaining of an hypoglycaemic event (low blood glucose) not hyperglycaemia (high blood glucose). The reason alcohol causes your blood sugar drop is most likely due to the effects of alcohol on insulin production. It seems that alcohol causes an increase in insulin release and therefore a drop in your blood glucose (like if you took too much insulin).
|