User Profile
30 weeks pregnant monday i had cramps called the doctor and she told me to drink water and lay on my left side for an hour.. after the hour i called back and told her i still had cramps and she told me to come in just to take a look at me to make sure i was not having contractions.. so i got there they hooked me up to the heart moniter and she told me i was having contractions whiich i was really surprized.. they checked to make sure i wasn't dilated and i wasn't she gave me five big glasses of water which stoped the contractions for about 5 mintures and than she sent me up to labor and delivery,, they hooked me up to an iv and gave me fluids still the contractions continued so they told me they were going to keep me over night.. they took me to see if my uterous was thinning and i tested positive.. tuesday morning they checked me for dilation it was two with contractions they sent me home on wednesday with contractions do u think i will have this baby early i am really scared

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2008
Pregnancy Calendar Answer A3602
YOU WROTE:

List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: preterm labor

Current medical status: checked for preterm labor they hooked me up to an iv with fluids and gave me a pill called nifedipine to stop contractions i have to take every 6 hours.. and sent me home with contractions

Current medical treatment: nifedipine 10 mg next doctors visit tuesday at 2:30"

Given the symptoms of cramping and the signs that you mention (uterus contractions detected on CTG and cervical dilatation of 2 cm), you could be experiencing a mild form of premature delivery. The main characteristic of premature deliveries are regular uterine contractions once every 5-8 minutes and cervical dilatation of 2 cm or more. Although your cervix is 2 cm dilatated, you told me nothing about the frequency of the uterus’s contractions. If uterine contractions are frequent and the cervix is over 4 cm dilatated, delivery is inevitable. It seem that in your case there are chances for you to prevent a premature birth. This is why lying on the left side and taking calcium antagonists (Nifedipine) are recommended in cases of mild cramps without greater cervical dilatation. Medical monitoring is absolutely necessary ...so be sure that you're getting the proper medical supervision.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy Calendar Conception : When did I Conceive ? , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.