Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Would you abort if the fetus had Downs? (Page 1)

This is a questions for all expecting and those not expecting a baby.

At 12 weeks, you get a screening done to see if your baby will have down syndrom, or other birth defects and disabilities.
Would you still keep your baby if you found out at 12 weeks that they have a disability, or would you abort it and try again?

Me being a teen, if i find out at 12 weeks that my baby has down syndrom or other disabilities, would abort, because yes i do have money to support myself and my child, but not if he or she has a disability. It would be too much to handle..I would abort and try again.

What would you do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2008
Supporter
I really hope this doesn't turn into an argument. People tend to get heated when talking about abortion. Be careful.
|

Especially eHealthy
There is a really low possibility of your child having downs syndrome. In fact, you wouldn't find out @ 12 weeks, it would be later, after a bunch of testing. You would get counseling to go along with this testing.

I don't think that anyone should or even could say what they would do in a situation that has not happened to them.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I would definitely not terminate unless there was some disease that would make my child suffer and die after birth. I would keep the pregnancy then later determine if I could handle a special needs child. If not then I would most likely have an open adoption.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I would absolutely abort. I had the testing done when I was pregnant. In my opinion, a downs syndrome child has a cruel life, as do the parents. This is my personal observation from knowing families like this. The children always ended up institutionalized as the parents became to old and/or infirm to care for them.
|

Extremely eHealthy
manuftw82 wrote:
I would definitely not terminate unless there was some disease that would make my child suffer and die after birth. I would keep the pregnancy then later determine if I could handle a special needs child. If not then I would most likely have an open adoption.

There are hundreds of thousands of healthy children languishing in the foster care system, waiting to be adopted. The chance that a downs syndrome child, or a child with an even more devastating illness will be adopted is very remote. (please note I did not say non existent) If you had such a child and decided you could not raise him or her, the child would more than likely be institutionalized. (please note I didn't say definitely)
|

Extremely eHealthy
You people obviously don't know much about downs syndrome!

jeez!
|

User Profile
Supporter
futureshock wrote:
manuftw82 wrote:

There are hundreds of thousands of healthy children languishing in the foster care system, waiting to be adopted. The chance that a downs syndrome child, or a child with an even more devastating illness will be adopted is very remote. (please note I did not say non existent) If you had such a child and decided you could not raise him or her, the child would more than likely be institutionalized. (please note I didn't say definitely)

I said open adoption. I want to know my kid is being taken care of. I would not let them be put into foster care. If that was the case then I would take back my parental rights if it's within the first year. kthanks. And they would not more than likely be institutionalized.
|

User Profile
Supporter
futureshock wrote:
I would absolutely abort. I had the testing done when I was pregnant. In my opinion, a downs syndrome child has a cruel life, as do the parents. This is my personal observation from knowing families like this. The children always ended up institutionalized as the parents became to old and/or infirm to care for them.

Really? Because I went to school with kids with down syndrome because we have a special program in my school and I know a lot of people with down syndrome or similar mental disabilities and they have for the most part been able to live an almost normal life. I don't know where you live but I'm sorry for that.
|

Especially eHealthy
jessesgirl wrote:

jeez!

Actually, she sounds like she knows exactly what the condition is like and probably knows actual people and families who have children with Downs.

As for moi:

I wasn't aware that the 12 week screening was accurate enough to determine "for sure" if the fetus has downs. I know they look at the neck fold and all of that, but the program I saw it on wasn't very conclusive. I'd personally wait until later and get more testing done before deciding to abort.

I can make more babies. A downs child is a sweetie, but it would be unfair to me and any other children I wish to have.
|

Especially eHealthy
manuftw82 wrote:
futureshock wrote:

Really? Because I went to school with kids with down syndrome because we have a special program in my school and I know a lot of people with down syndrome or similar mental disabilities and they have for the most part been able to live an almost normal life. I don't know where you live but I'm sorry for that.

Wow, they must have really mild downs syndrome... because the people I've known with it will never be smart enough to hold a real job, or marry, or have children or even sex. They are forever a child, trapped in an adult's body. They're the nicest people you'll ever meet, but they know. They know they're not as smart as everyone else. You see them get discouraged and it breaks your heart.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Well there were probably about 50 kids with mental disabilities in my high school, not all of them with down syndrome, but some. And most of them were very high functioning so I don't know I mean they've always went to my schools and I've grown up around them and when we were like in middle school there was a HUGE gap between us but once we went to high school some of them I didn't even know were in the CD program and I could have mistaken them for regular kids in the school.
|

Especially eHealthy
Yeah, High Functioning means just that. And unfortunately, that's not the only face of Down's Syndrome.
|

User Profile
There are many people with downs in my community and are very capable of work and with some help taking care of themselves for the most part. Im sure there mothers are thrilled with them. They are also always polite and seem very happy, more happy than anyone I know. Just look at anyone with down syndromes smile. I would not abort unless I were to find out there were no brain or something equally devastating.
|

Especially eHealthy
It is the mother's choice. If she is willing to deal with that then she's willing to deal with it. I'm personally not.
|

replied February 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I'd keep the baby. My cousin, the one who lived with us at my moms, has Downs. She's an amazing kid.
|

Extremely eHealthy
One of the cleaners where I work has Downs and to talk to her you'd never know. She does look different though and still lives with her mother at age 36. She has never had a boyfriend either though she told me that she longs to.

Anyway, I have one child already so I would have to consider him when making the decision. I think my logical side would say 'abort' but I know I would feel terribly guilty if I did. It would haunt me for the rest of my life.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Re: what would you do if...
krystineM wrote:
This is a questions for all expecting and those not expecting a baby.

At 12 weeks, you get a screening done to see if your baby will have down syndrom, or other birth defects and disabilities.
Would you still keep your baby if you found out at 12 weeks that they have a disability, or would you abort it and try again?

Me being a teen, if i find out at 12 weeks that my baby has down syndrom or other disabilities, would abort, because yes i do have money to support myself and my child, but not if he or she has a disability. It would be too much to handle..I would abort and try again.

What would you do?

I personally would abort if the percentage of them having it was very high.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
jessesgirl wrote:

jeez!

Obviously you don't either. Perhaps if you had accessed information on it you might have realized downs syndrom is a chromosonal abnormality called trisonomy 21.

Trisomy 21: Down syndrome; incidence based upon maternal age, though translocation type is familial; features can include: epicanthal folds, simian crease, brachycephaly, cardiac defects.
I'll help
Source
Scroll down to the section titled Overview of Fetal-Placental Abnormalities and get educated.
|

Experienced User
I'd abort whether the fetus had Downs Syndrome or not, because I don't want kids.

But in some hypothetical world where I did want children, I would abort a fetus with Downs Syndrome. You have to be a certain kind of person to do a good job raising a handicapped child, and I'm really not that kind of person.
|