Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

IBS, Hypoglycemic, overweight, and possible help with carrots

I think it's all related in my case.

I get low, I need to eat. I think I panic if I don't eat. Then I'll eat whatever.

I know Stan, from reading the forum that you don't agree with eating baby carrots, but I'm now trying this and feeling better.

I bought the Grimmway Baby Carrots, in the small 3 oz (serving size) packages (35 calories a pkg). I've read that carrot juice regulates blood sugar levels, so I imagine carrots would as well.

I've been trying it for 2.5 days so far and really liking the results.

Here's my experience today:

Breakfast was 1 fresh farmers market egg, over easy, in olive oil, and homemade whole wheat bread with some farmers market butter, and some salt and pepper. Then 1/2 a cara cara orange.

Then I started to feel LOW shortly thereafter. I was reading the forum, and since I'm addicted to cheese, I ate some. No effect. Was still feeling low.

Then I took out a serving sized bag of carrots and ate the bag, and I feel regulated again, and much better.

Carrots are really GOOD for people with IBS, I just found out through reading. And I'm finding out that it's true.

Now for hypo, I find it's also helping me regulate.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2008
Community Volunteer
You'll probably find out real quick, or when you least expect it, that they are NOT good for you. Carrots might as well be candy because of their high sugar content, they're one of the worst vegetables on the planet. As I tell everyone, if it seems to work for you, go ahead, but the main problem with hypoglycemia is that you WON'T feel better when you start eating right, it can take months and that's just how it is. I know so many people like you who have tried similar things, thinking it's fine, and then in time their body slowly adjusts and starts to shoot out even more insulin, so they eat more and more and then are back at square one. Be careful.
|

replied February 6th, 2008
Well, so far, so good. I'm on week 2.

It seems to still be helping me. I'm not drinking the juice which I hate, but actual 3 oz bags of baby carrots.
|

7 ways to keep blood sugar down
Don't worry about carrots spiking blood sugar. The truth is that carrots have a low rating of 49. Furthermore, they contain so little carbohydrate you would have to eat at least 11Ú2 pounds at a sitting to boost blood sugar significantly. Wide reports that carrots are bad for the blood sugar of diabetics, people trying to lose weight or anyone else are "simply wrong," says Brand-Miller.

http://www.usaweekend.com/99_issues/990905 /990905eatsmart.html
|

And apparently carrots & apples will also reduce stress - but any crunchy fruit or vegetable is good. Apparently the crunching noise alleviates our stress levels!

|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Doctors have also been of the opinion that a high carbohydrate diet is good for hypoglycemia, when it's not, you ask and find out from 90% of the people on this forum and they'll tell you. My point is that numbers, research and whatever for hypoglycemia as a SEPARATE condition, do NOT apply if they're from diabetes research. For example, it's not just sugar level, but also the type of carbohydrate. Carrots are essentially simple sugars in comparison to broccoli, and one of the problems hypoglycemics have because they keep referring to diabetic data is the whole glycemic index thing. Unfortunately, for us, we also have a problem with how the body reacts to certain TYPES of carbohydrates, not just sugar level, and for example this explains why all hypoglycemics can actually do fine eating plenty of apples but yet get sick on carrots, it's because fructose in the apples does not stimulate INSULIN in the same way, and that's one of our major problem. If it works for you, good, some people can handle it, but I'm just telling you to be careful. If you start getting sick, don't think it's something else, stick with the amount of carrots you eat on a regular basis and DO NOT increase the amount of you start to feel not well. This is a mistake commonly made, when what you're experiencing is another adjustment. Eat more and it will just adjust more, but keep it level and it will eventually get used to what you're eating, in theory.
|

replied February 7th, 2008
Stan, I really really appreciate all your good information.

I am really interested in what you have to say about things, and I want to encourage you to keep me informed.

So far, so good for me, and I've lost some weight so far on carrots, and I really like that I'm not starving myself.

I also find that I really really respond well to carrots and to pasta, which you say is also something that you find that you don't respond well too.

Most likely, each of us has to follow our own paths, to see what works for us, and I think each individual has to tweak their diet to fit them.

Also, I read what you said about nuts, and find that interesting. I don't think I do raw nuts well, and it starts an overeating/binging cycle with nuts for me, but natural peanut butter seems to be ok for me.

And the Pacific brand of nut milks (hazelnut, and almond) do really well for me as well, and I even think they have some "cane sugar" in them. I don't seem to react badly to them.

Also, I've got, in addition to those other ailments - hip bursitis. So I've been drinking, daily, oat milk/fresh ginger/ banana/ sliver of habanero daily and that's been totally fine for me, although I believe you said that bananas are not good, if I recall. Anyways, that drink is helping me be pain free.

Interesting that you said that about apples, because I think apples get me up higher than carrots and do tend to crash on them, but it's not a severe thing.

I'm learning a lot from being here. I've been working on this on my own and through the internet for years now, but just recently started focusing more on this issue. Like the eating hourly thing is really good.
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Were you ever officially tested or anything? Because there's no way you could eat some of those foods.
|

Yes, I was tested. And it caused me to just about pass out.

The test didn't show anything, but it caused me to be very sick. The test doesn't always show you have hypoglycemia.

I've been dealing with this for a good portion of my life, and these things work for me.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Okay, it can happen, but be very careful, I've never heard of a hypoglycemic who can eat bananas daily, so what you're doing could catch up with you in time. It happened to someone else on here awhile ago.
|

You're right Stan. Thank you so much for all your wonderful advice. I am listening, and tweaking to fit what is working for me.

I know that you don't agree, but just now, I worked out with my husband, not too long, and you know how that makes us hypoglycemics feel.

I had some Smart Water, but was still ready to pass out on the bed.

My DH brought me up some carrots, and I swear, I feel better. I'm going to walk to the store.

We're making pizza tonight - homemade. So have a wonderful Friday night everyone. Seriously, I feel so much better from the carrots.

More later.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Okay, just be careful, that's all I'll say. You may be okay with them, but because so many people aren't I always make sure to point out stuff like this. And I never get low after exercising.
|

replied February 19th, 2008
You prob don't have the same cause for a Hypo.

You could very well have PCOS which gives you lows and the things you eat that seem fine are things that we can eat.

And it explanes why you have no result from the test, it does not show up on a GTT, you need an insulin test.

Hmmm im starting to think I want to come on here again more often just to help pull out some other causes of low BS.

Stan, you are very well informed on your kind of hypo, but let me remind you that for woman who get it, there is probibly an underlining cause most likely Polly Cystic Overum Sydrome.

And I think I will do a post on it.
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Do it, it's always good to know stuff like that, because yes, there often CAN be many other causes, hypoglycemia mainly being a SYMPTOM of something else. Post away! Might be able to sticky it too.
|