User Profile
A few weeks ago I noticed a swelling. It is a painless, oval-shaped lump situated along the line where the leg meets the pubic area. It is directly next to my left labia and starts about 5cm lower than where the genital slit begins, i.e. right between my legs, midway between the front and back of my body. Can hernias develop anywhere in this area? I noticed on diagrams and photos that inguinal hernia are usually above the inguinal canal and femoral hernias more towards the front. This lump is lower down. It seems less pronounced when I lie down. I know I should see a doctor but would first appreciate some reassurance. I have recently had support for a medical phobia but am still extremely anxious. I am also worried because I am going on vacation at the beginning of March for three weeks.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2008
Hernia Answer A3591
Yes, a hernia is possible in the area that you describe. A change in size such as the one you describe, the location of the swelling lump in combination with a lack of pain point to a hernia as a possible diagnosis but a physical examination (inspection and palpation) is absolutely necessary to establish a more precise diagnosis. Other possibilities include skin disorders (fat-gland cyst or skin tumors) or sub-cutis disorders (swollen lymph nodes, tumors etc.). You can consult your GP for an initial exam and then an abdominal surgeon, if necessary.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.