User Profile
Am I passing HSV - 1 on to myself?

I get chronic cold sores on my lips. And I have this theory that whatever touches my lips is contaminated. Sometimes, out of the blue, I'll use an old chap-stick bottle and break out with herpes. Or, apply lip liner and POW! Another outbreak.

Should I throw out all my lip products? Am I just using products that have the herpes virus on them and passing them on to myself?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
well you can never get infected again because the virus is permanent but you can cause outbreaks to keep happening. Have you ever used any of your lip products while you had a sore or even a few days after the sore went away? If so then yes you can be causing outbreak after outbreak because you skin is coming into direct contact with an active virus, so to speak. Like with genital herpes. You cannot have sex while you have a sore because you can just pass it back and forth.

If you have used then to cover a sore then I would throw everything away and start fresh. if it keeps happening you might not be able to use any products. But please check with your doctor because I dont know for sure.

You can also try suppresive therapy to help prevent the outbreaks.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Thanks Rosie!

I just learned that, too. I'm doing my reading on herpes so I can quicken the outbreaks. I've had it since I was 15. Argh!

So, I learned that the virus becomes communicable from the time you feel the tingling, through the bubbling, crusting, and recovery. And, yes, I probably used the lip products at some time during recovery when the lips are red and the skin is still healing from the inside-out.

What is suppressive therapy? I've ready about L-lysine tablets ... anything to do with it?
|

Extremely eHealthy
lysine is a good way to help prevent outbreaks. Its a natural way to treat herpes and to me is better than the man made stuff. But everyone is different. Daily medication didnt work for me but I know a lot of people where it has.

They do have medication like Valtrex and Acyclovir that you take everyday. Valtrex, after daily use, can lower your risk of giving it to others and prevent future outbreaks. But you take a pill every single day
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Do you know how expensive the oral medication is? Are both Valtrex and Acyclovir offered as tablets?
|

replied February 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Acyclovir is MUCH cheaper than valtrex, and works very well as sup therapy.

Lysine does not actually suppress the virus or prevent you form spreading it to others, so I don't recommend it.
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
But Lysine does help heal the virus no? I've been piling Lysine cream AFTER the scabbing stage and it seems to help.
|

replied February 21st, 2008
yogahoneybunny wrote:
But Lysine does help heal the virus no? I've been piling Lysine cream AFTER the scabbing stage and it seems to help.

Lysine does help--depends on the person. I take 1 1000mg Lysine everyday-- and it surpresses my outbreaks severely! (used to get one every month) I also take a daily vitamin as well.

Valtrex works good too- but I only take it when I have bad OBs. Once I start seriously dating again, then I take it every day. Don't want to take it unless I have to.

I guess it all depends on the person- I would at least try to see it if works Smile
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2008
Supporter
I find that Lysine also helps supress an outbreak when I apply during tingling. I've also found that after the blistering stage, warm black tea bags help to dry up the scab.
|

replied February 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
LYSINE HELPS SOME WOMEN, yes...

BUT, it does not prevent you spreading the virus, like Valtrex or Acyclovir does.

It does not prevent viral shedding.
|
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...