Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

stressing and hormones

I think I have a depression issue. or something. I'm stressing out and getting mad about things out of my control, I've come home crying for no reason what so ever. Everything, even things that made me happy, just make me feel upset. I wasn't like this until about a few months ago.. and it's just increasingly become worse. That's why I'm wondering if it's SAD. I had basically the same thing happen to me last winter. I don't think I would cry so much though. But I was still upset and felt worthless.

I mean, sometimes I feel alright. Sometimes I am laughing and happy, but it's still not as much as I'm upset.

Then again, I'm also curious... my boyfriend and I have been having sex a lot more than I am used to. Could that make my hormones freak out and cause my psycho mood swings?

Should I just wait it out, or would talking to my mom about going to the doctor be beneficial?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2008
Supporter
I don't know if frequent sex can have that sort of effect. I have SAD, and 'tis the season!

If you are feeling irrationally sad or panicked, there's a good chance that the weather could be having an effect on you, especially if you live in colder areas that get less intense sunlight. If you're apprehensive about talking to a doctor, try going tanning. You don't even have to do it to get a tan, but the light has a great effect on mood. If it persists, it's probably a good idea to talk to your doctor. He or she can line you up with a therapist, medical treatment or other options like homeopathic remedies or a light that you can buy which has had many positive results.
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2008
Community Volunteer
He's right...this time of year is a real bummer on your emotions. The best thing to do is get out and take a walk in the sun, even if it is cold. Your body gets tired of being inside all the time, breathing stale air, and not being in the sun. Sunlight increases melatonin in our brains naturally which help with mood.

You can invest in a special lamp which gives the same therapeutic benefits as natural sunlight, but they are pricey. It might be worth it to you tho more than just going on some sort of medication.

I don't think sex should have adverse effects on you either, unless there is something deeper wrong with your relationship. Sex naturally gets our blood moving, endorphins (the happy hormones) flowing, and is a great tension reliever.
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Your feelings are suggestive of atypical bipolar disorder. Consult psychiatrist for mental state examination clarify your condition.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.