Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Child waking up and running in a daze

My son is 7 years old and every once in a while he will wake up towards the begining of the night, usually within the first hour or two of going to sleep and will start running around. His eyes are open, he seems somewhat aware of his surroundings and will respond to my direction but will not speak, acts sort of in a daze and can't seem to help running back and forth. It almost looks like he is in a trance of sorts. Then after a few minutes he climbs back in bed and doesn't seem to have any recollection of what just happened. I don't think it is Night Terrors because he doesn't seem scared or if he is, it certainly wouldn't be described as, "terror", maybe just a little nervous.
Does anyone have any idea what it could be or where I can go for further info?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper morrismorris
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It seems to me that your son is experiencing sleepwalking episodes.
Sleepwalking usually includes, but is not limited to, walking.
The range of sleepwalking actions can range from a simple act of sitting up in bed, to getting up running around and screaming.

Does your son have amnesia about "the event" after waking?
|

replied February 6th, 2008
Yes, he doesn't remember it at all. Can he be sleep walking with his eyes open? Also, although he doesn't reply to us verbaly when it's happening, he does seem to understand what we are saying and accept it. For example he would be running towards the steps and I would tell him "don't go downstairs, go this way" and he would turn and go the way I told him. All this could be happening while he was sleeping?
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Sleepwalkers are usually unaware of their activity. Typically, the eyes are open with a glassy, staring appearance.
On questioning, responses are slow or absent.
Sleepwalking typically occurs in the first third of a sleep episode, an hour or two after sleep onset and may last five to 20 minutes.
There is a connection between slow wave sleep ( deep sleep) and sleepwalking. Children typically enter their deepest sleep within 15 minutes of sleep onset, and this first SWS (slow wave sleep) period lasts from 45-75 minutes. The length and depth of SWS, which is greater in young children, may be a factor in the increased frequency of sleepwalking in children.
Sleepwalkers are highly suggestible. Anything they hear or see may trigger another behavior (often something said by a person or even on a television will cause the sleepwalker to engage in the activity mentioned)
How old is your son?
Was he more restless sleeper when he was aged 4-5 years and more restless with more frequent awakenings during the first year of life?
|

replied April 30th, 2009
I remember but wake up during the episode
I usually don't remember getting up but when I've reached my final destination I wake up. For instance, I my wake up in a panic with my hand on the doorknob and I slightly remember getting up in a panic, speeding to the door and starting to open before I wake up. Yet, I'm not fully awake when I do it. Its not like I don't remember any of it though. Am I sleep walking or is this something else? Normally on the nights I do it, I've had coffee the morning in which it happens.
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2009
Sleep walking siblings.
My son is 6 and daughter is 5. They both sleepwalk. They will get up and walk, talk, climb, and open things with there eyes wide open. I never wake them when they are doing this, I just guide them back to bed. I take precations. I deadbolt the doors, and the basement door is blocked. I put knives up and what ever else could be a danger. I dont sleep to deep because I am afraid for the both of them. I to want to know if this will get better or worse with time.
|

replied March 6th, 2011
My son is 8 yrs old and
every once in a while he will wake up towards the begining of the night, usually within the first hour or two of going to sleep and will start running around, crying,screaming to the point that he vomits.
Then after a few minutes he climbs back in bed and next day every time i ask him he doesn't seem to have any recollection of what happened. Do i need to have him check by a doctor? do i need to worry or does this just go away in time?
|

replied November 28th, 2012
asperges syndrome
my son is three years old and we have just found out he had characteristics of asperges during the day and sometimes on a evening he will b playing then starts running around in a circle and gallops like a horse and is in a daze does it for a bout ten mins.
|
Quick Reply