Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice

http://www.rcrc.org/index.cfm

They do exist Smile

Discuss; explore the site and see what you have to say in response. I'm personally very encouraged.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 28th, 2008
Experienced User
This is such a good group. I have worked with them in Kansas and in Oklahoma.

On a personal level these are the folk that remind me that the Xian God is not owned by the religious right no matter what they claim. That christianity has many good ideas and that there are sincire xians that actually use the religion as a guide to better relations with other human being as opposed to a weapon to control others and their lives.
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I like this bit:

"We believe that no one religious belief about when life begins should be made a law that all Americans must live by. To do so would violate our cherished principle of separation of church and state.
There is a great danger in the attempt of the Christian Coalition and others of the "Religious Right" to outlaw abortion and responsible sexuality education and even family planning. We can't be fooled into thinking this is just about abortion. Outlawing reproductive freedom is only one step to their ultimate goal-a theocracy. They want to enshrine their beliefs in law. They want to do away with rights of conscience. They want us all to believe and act as they do. This is what the Religious Coalition is fighting and why we are an essential voice in America."

I think that all religiously affiliated groups need to stay twenty miles from the legislative doors, but it's nice to see an advocate for reproductive choices.
|

replied January 29th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I think that religion/spirituality is a part of human development and even a part of being human, PERIOD. You don't *have* to be spiritual to be human, but many humans are. Because it is entrenched in who we are and how we view the world, it makes sense that is is for better or for worse going to shape our laws. For this reason, it's nice to see Christians from the "other side" stepping up.

I could have sworn I saw on that site, but perhaps somewhere else, the phrase "Christianity has been hijacked by the Republican Right." I think it's so true. They've taken it on as their banner, their calling card. Kind of like NAZI Germany adopted the swastika. Hopefully however, Christianity - and in other countries, Islam - can be taken back from its conservative and oppressive political affiliations and bloom into what they are meant to be.
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2008
Experienced User
I don't have a problem with religious groups being politically active, I just have serious objections to politics and laws being ratified based on religious ideologies. In fact it disgusts me. I have respect for religion (will probably change my mind after I finish reading Richard Dawkins Laughing), although I don't think religion always has respect for atheism/agnosticism. I believe the truly religious people should be secularists.

Anyhow, I'd like to see if this group uses any biblical quotations to back their view. Also nice to see an organisation (religious or not) that vociferously supports the right to late-term abortion Cool.

I will need a bit more guidance, though, in believing that being pro-choice doesn't conflict with being a Christian. Would be interesting to see what the religious pro-lifers, namely meblonde01 for instance, have to say about this.
|

replied January 30th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Oh yes, they've got a lot of biblical, koran, torah, etc backing to all of their statements, even buddhist statements which interestingly enough were the same statements I was making when I was buddhist!

I'll go find a specific link to the part of the page that directly talks about christianity Smile

http://www.rcrc.org/perspectives/index.cfm
That's the perspectives page. Do you want protestant or catholic? lol.

At the bottom of the individual religion's pages they have links to further in-depth readings.
|

replied February 7th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I searched for this site (and for pro-gay christian sites too) because I've recently been going through a bit of a spiritual upheaval.

Every time I've been at christian events and "welcomed Jesus into my heart" it's been due to the overwhelming atmosphere and getting carried away with it. This time, it's all been serious introspection by myself. The other times, I recovered from the rally, looked around and went "yeeeah. no."

This time, I kinda hope the feeling lasts. When I say to myself "I want to accept God", I get this weird feeling in my chest, a nervous excited feeling - like every time I knew my boyfriend was coming to visit.

I've searched the web, and found that liberal christians DO exist and they indeed question everything I question, including Jesus' divinity. They critically read the bible and reinterpret it. They focus on Jesus' life and teachings, not his death. They are open to being pro-choice and pro-gay.

I still feel like I need to tell someone irl and that I'll probably break down into tears doing so (it's a very powerful feeling to me), but I don't know where to go. There's an Outreach Church that comes to the campus center every sunday but I think they're baptist. I'd feel cheesy using them to confess and then say "by the way, I support killing babies and gay marriage, lolz!" I don't think I could take the glares Rolling Eyes
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Religious arguments frighten me because they often cause foaming at the mouth and repetitive usage of statements issued in a bygone era where eating shellfish was considered sinful because they didn't understand allergies.

People that use it as a guidebook rather than a salad bar way of life (I have yet to hear news of any Christians stoning people to death for wearing two different kinds of fabric, after all) don't bother me so much. People that use selective parts of the book to push their views on others are insane.
|

Especially eHealthy
Yeah, I'm kind of in the guide-book section. lol. I personally think many sections have been misinterpreted for thousands of years, causing much strife and pain.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
That was incredible, it felt so humane, I would almost go back to christianity if it was like that, thanks for sharing mind blowing~!
|

Especially eHealthy
It CAN be like that, which is why I'm going back Smile We CAN choose to read the bible as a guide, not an absolute. We can choose to look at passages used for hate and re-read them as love.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
As much as I would like to, I won't I like believing in multiple gods and not just one, give me an outside look in lol~! Although good for you and your choice I will not bash you I believe in stuff well take it to my own liking~!
|

Especially eHealthy
Hey, even in the bible it's totally fine to believe in multiple gods, and it's entirely possible that "A" god has personality facets that manifest as other gods. Also, there are "Nephilim" mentioned in genesis, which no one knows what are, and God even refers to itself (I've decided not to use "him" since I think God is more of a life/spirit-essence than a "being") in the plural in genesis, saying "we" half of the time!! Smile

The only thing the bible god asks is for the top spot on the altar. "Other gods? No problem! Just remember I'm the best one!" Wink lol
|

replied February 9th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I always thought of all human recognized deities as being a part of the greater whole, which cannot be comprehended or described by any mortal being. Of course to me it would be Creation or the Wave but to others it may be defined as God. I've always identified with my Christian friends by comparing my patron deities to the Arch Angels, explaining that all beings, even gods, serve a higher power that none of us can really comprehend.

Of course, that was before the amount of bigotry expressed by Christians left such a sour taste in my mouth that I finally decided not to waste my time trying to compromise with them if they were just going to stick their nose up at my beliefs. Now I just give them the finger and tell them to have sinful relations with their bible if they love words written by primitive men more than they love friendship, respect and the sharing of ideas.

Oddly I still get along very well with a rather strict Catholic friend of mine from Highschool. I just wish she were as accepting and respectful of gay people as she is of the occult.
|

replied February 9th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Yeah, that's what I believe. I just posted about that to a christian forum, when discussing morals. Some of the forums were good and helped me with my questions about free will etc, but other forums decided right away to attack one of the three aspects of myself that I stated were unchangeable: pro-choice, pro-gay and pro-evolution. It's like hello, I said those were unchangeable? Don't bother!!
|
Quick Reply