Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

light smoker with extremely cold hands and feet

Hello, I am a light smoker about 10 cigarettes per day.

After lunch I smoke a couple sometimes with a glass of wine and when I lay to rest for about an hour my hands and feet get extremely cold and sometimes I have toe cramps. When the weather is cold my hands get so cold, they are like freeze and I don’t even touch my children.

I have try some vitamins/supplements like msm, magnesium and cayenne with poor results. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Do your fingers turn white and start to hurt when you're out in the cold or when stressed?
Have you experienced numb, prickly feeling or stinging pain upon warming or relief of stress?
|

replied February 14th, 2008
Dear MandMs,

Thank you for your respond and sorry about my delayed replay, in view of an unplanned trip.

To answer to your questions:

Quote:
Do your fingers turn white and start to hurt when you're out in the cold or when stressed?

Not very white but whiter than normal. Definitely pain when stressed.

Quote:
Have you experienced numb, prickly feeling or stinging pain upon warming or relief of stress?

Yes. Please explain me what it means and whether I should continue the Magnesium Citrate and Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) tablets, which seem to help a bit but not drastically.

Thanks.
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome and sorry for my delayed post, too.

Symptoms and signs you have are due to Raynaud's disease.
The cause of this phenomenon is not clearly understood, but it is known that blood vessels in the hands and feet appear to overreact (vessels constrict dramatically and this temporarily limits blood supply) to cold temperatures or stress.
Limited blood supply is reason for skin color changes and pain (nerves are the first one that react to lack of blood oxygen and nutritions and you can have changed skin sensations and pain)
This condition, usually, affects women and smoking is known as potential cause (smoke ingredients have two kinds of effects on blood vessels, chemical and mechanical one that means constriction or narrowing the lumen of blood vessels)
Do you have some other medical problems?

Waiting for your post!
Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied March 6th, 2008
Thanks for replying, please note that I don't have any other medical issues. Last week I had an examination the translation of which I cannot find anywhere in the web, but I found a sketch. I come up clean from the examination (in both hands & feet that were examined)

|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
What kind of examinations you had?
Can you share the medical term that was connected to this sketch?
|

replied March 17th, 2008
Experienced User
Similair symptoms...
Hi

Firstly...ughm...I smoke way more than minas...I know, I know, I know...it's really bad, but I have anxiety problems and when trying to quit, it sky-rockets.

Secondly, I have very low blood pressure.

Thirdly, everyone ALWAYS complains that my hands are chilly to the touch.

Fourth, I used to suffer A LOT from "winters-fingers"...where my fingers would become swollen and puffy.

Finally...when I am lying on my back, when I go to bed, and relax...I do tend to get some pricking...almost "electrical" activity in my fingers and the more I try to relax my mind, the more it happens.

Thanks for sharing...

Seraph
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, Seraph!
My post is coming too late I guess, but, anyway I'll try to give some input.

When someone has low blood pressure, his body tries to manage that by starting the compensatory mechanisms that will increase blood pressure that is low.
For example, arterioles will constrict.
The more constricted arterioles are, the greater their resistance to blood flow and the higher the blood pressure. Constriction of arterioles increases blood pressure because more pressure is needed to force blood through the narrower space.
On the other side, constricted or narrowed arterioles will cause blood flow to the skin, feet, and hands to decrease. As a result these areas may become cold and turn blue.

Lack of blood flow (constriction of arterioles, damaged blood vessels due to smoking) first will manifest with sensation of tingling, pricking, or numbness of a person's skin, known as paraesthesia.
Can also be a symptom of vitamin deficiency and malnutrition
Irritation to the nerve due to the carpal tunnel syndrome.
Nerves below the head may be compressed where chronic neck and spine problems exist and cause paraesthesia.
This can be also a transient part of panic attacks.
|
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...