Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Debate Forum

When Can Children Bathe Alone?

When do you think it is ok to let your kids bath by themselves, without supervision?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Good question. I would say around five or six?
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I didn't let my oldest daughter take baths on her own till she was 7. I have other children, so I will usually let a 5 year old bath with the 7 year old. They know the rules....but it really also depends on the child and on your own comfort level. I always keep my eyes wide open to make sure that everything is ok if I am away and there is a younger child in with the 7 year old.

I can't wait til she can just do it all on her own and just take a shower....which I don't think she will be able to handle until a couple more years Razz
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
My stepson started taking showers when he was 4. To this day he still won't take baths.

Depending on how good my kid is (still pregnant), I'd say 3-4 with the door open me within ear shot. I think I'd trust them around 5-6 with the door closed. If I have more than one, the youngest will have to be at least 4 before I trust both of them.
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
My kids are 3 and 2 and I have let them bathe for around 5 mins by themselves with the door open. They like a little bit of freedom to splash eachother and play with their bath toys,

They never stop laughing and screaming playfully whilst they are in the bath so I have no worries. I know they are both ok.

I think it depends on the individual child. If my kids weren't so vocal in the bath then maybe I wouldn't leave them alone. i guess my kids just LOVE bath time so much they get v.excited!

I still wash their hair, soap them down and brush their teeth for them. If we are talking about them being able to do those things themselves then I'm not really sure. My lil sis still can't wash her hair by herself and she will be 7 in april.
|

replied February 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I think I was 11 before I could wash my own hair lol! Mind you, I had hair down to my bum then...
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I'd say at about 6-7 years old for a child to be able to understand and be safe with the water to be able to bathe alone. Hate for a child to burn or freeze themselfs or slip & fall.
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I'm gonna say probably 5 or 6, but we're not there yet so I really don't know. I think it all depends on the child(ren) though.
|

replied February 21st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
i'm thinking around 6, but even then the door will be open and i'll be checking on them frequently.
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I wanted to post on this thread really quick to make something known.. I work at the JCPenney Portrait Studio, & a few weeks ago, we took pictures of a little girl who was 9 months old.. 4 days after we took her pictures, we found out she had died. She drowned in the bathtub. Her mother was sitting IN THE BATHROOM WITH HER, reading a book. Her daughter was sitting in a bath seat. She figured that as long as she was in there, it was okay- that she'd be able to hear if something went wrong. But that wasn't the case. Yes, it was negligence- but this mother was very sweet, very caring, she loved her daughter a lot. It's incredibly tragic, & we were all really bent out of shape about it.

NEVER, EVER, EVER LEAVE YOUR BABY ALONE IN THE BATHTUB.

This can happen to anybody. Even if you leave your baby alone for a second.

I just felt like I should bring this to everyone's attention.
|

replied February 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
arcadia wrote:
I wanted to post on this thread really quick to make something known.. I work at the JCPenney Portrait Studio, & a few weeks ago, we took pictures of a little girl who was 9 months old.. 4 days after we took her pictures, we found out she had died. She drowned in the bathtub. Her mother was sitting IN THE BATHROOM WITH HER, reading a book. Her daughter was sitting in a bath seat. She figured that as long as she was in there, it was okay- that she'd be able to hear if something went wrong. But that wasn't the case. Yes, it was negligence- but this mother was very sweet, very caring, she loved her daughter a lot. It's incredibly tragic, & we were all really bent out of shape about it.

NEVER, EVER, EVER LEAVE YOUR BABY ALONE IN THE BATHTUB.

This can happen to anybody. Even if you leave your baby alone for a second.

OMG that is awful!

I just felt like I should bring this to everyone's attention.
|

replied February 28th, 2008
Experienced User
I probably wouldn't want to leave my daughter alone in the tub until she's about 5-6, even then I'd make sure the door was open and I was thisclose to the bathroom at all times.

At 5 I'd leave her alone to shower if she wanted, but the tub is too risky.
|

replied March 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Becky wrote:
My kids are 3 and 2 and I have let them bathe for around 5 mins by themselves with the door open. They like a little bit of freedom to splash eachother and play with their bath toys,

They never stop laughing and screaming playfully whilst they are in the bath so I have no worries. I know they are both ok.

How does leaving the door open help? I think 3 and 2 are way too young.
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I think once the child can talk and understand /comprehend the dangers then in that case they should be able to bath alone, I would never let my 2 year old in a bath but my 3 year old is turning four and she understand quite well.

I think it depends on their mentality and where they in the comprehension state of whats wrong and whats right.
|

replied August 26th, 2008
I think it kind of depends on the kid but 6 or 7 is normally a good age
|

replied September 7th, 2008
6 for popping out during showers, 7 for door-opened, regular checking in baths, 8 or older for door-shut, privacy.
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2011
Community Volunteer
I know this is an old thread, but I shall bring up my experience. Both my kids are polar opposites of each other. With one being clumsy, yet very independent, and the other being ADHD with minor learning disabilities, yet with very good motor skills, it was pretty easy for me to find an "ideal median age" for them to bathe alone. Both were capable of doing so at seven years of age. Any younger and the klutz would be slipping (sit down, dear, lol) and the ADHD one would have the bathtub flooded (shower, please). Seven seemed to be the perfect age where both could, and were able to, grasp their "limitations" and understand the dangers (to them AND the poor floor) of a bathroom. To me, seven seems to be, maturity and physically (if you have a klutzy child) speaking, an ideal age for unsupervised showering/bathing.

That being said, you should still hang by the door, especially if you have a little one that wants the bathroom to become an ocean. An ideal way of dealing with the temperature issue is to:
1. make sure the water thermostat is set to no more than 120 degrees (this is usually default, but you may need to make sure)
2. we used a tube of white silicone (the kind you use to seal tile, toilets, and showers with) and drew two lines on our faucet dial (about an inch apart from each other). One line is at the cooler end of the "shower spectrum", the other at the warmer end. We told our children to find the perfect temp for them in between those two lines. We also told them any COLDER than where line 1 was would give them a very cold, and quite uncomfortable shower/bath, and any HOTTER than where line 2 was COULD possibly give them a burn. They loved that they were able to pick out "just the right temp" for them, individually, without fear that they could accidentally burn or freeze themselves by turning on the faucet without guidance.
|

replied March 5th, 2012
My 5 year old son is a very cautious individual (like his father) and we are just starting to let him bathe alone, with door open and constant check-ins (this may be overkill given how cautious he is).

Our daughter is a rambunctious 2.5 year old and I can't imagine allowing her to bathe alone until she is probably 6 or more.

The greatest risk (silent drowning) is less with showering versus bathing... so, if you or your child really wants independence it kind of depends on their personality (cautiousness), the temp on your water heater, the shower mat you have in place and it's coverage, other aspects of your shower/bath configuration, and whether your child is asking to take showers or baths.

A living child is much better than a "free" but dead one. Be careful and be very mindful of your child's risk assessment capabilities. Don't ever leave a child in the tub that doesn't properly realize the dangers of breathing in that water, laying down or otherwise.

NOTE: This is all my option, based upon my experience to date as a father. I will not be held accountable for any anyone else's unfortunate events arising from their misuse or misinterpretation of this information. It is a parent or guardian's responsibility to ensure the safety of their children's activities.
|

replied April 30th, 2013
6/7 year olds Showering Alone
My stepdaughters are 6 and 7 right now. Dad and I have custody of them. We found out that their mom still bathes them when they go over to her house. She actually thinks we're crazy to let them shower by themselves. But they've been doing it for at least a year now. Are dad and I crazy for letting them shower by themselves? lol
|
Tags: bathe, parenting
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....