Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

heart attack and congestive heart failure

It's been a very long 8 days. My father has kidney disease and has been holding up fairly well without dialysis, but his creatinine numbers have been creeping up. last reading was 8.8.

He was rushed to the ER and we think he had a heart attack and congestive heart failure. then several days later possibly another heart attack and then he coded. of course they had to put him on the ventilator and a sedative.

After 24 hours on the vent they decided to transport him an hour away to a top rated heart institute. They stabilized him and did a heart cath. turns out he does have some blockages, but they didnt address them. A day later they decided he was strong enough to pull the vent. he remained stable, but the sedative (propofol) wouldnt wear off possibly because of his kidney disease. They now think he has brain damage from when he stopped breathing.

he has shown some improvement, but still not talking. he said a few words and looked extremely angry. Now he is moving around a lot, but still not following too many commands. he does squeeze your hand when asked, at times.

we dont know what to do. is it brain damage and/or his kidneys not eliminating the drugs?

Thanks,
D
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi D

I am truly sorry to hear about your dad.
I think if it was brain damage he would not be moving or speaking a few words,it's possible the medication is making him look and/or act angry, a lot of med's have nasty side effects.
Drugs usually start to leave the body within a few days of taking them, it can take a while for them to be completely out of the system.
Are they still giving him this medication?
What type of kidney disease does he have?
Are the doctors giving you any information about his condition?

I wish you the best it's so hard to sit back when the ones we love are sick.
Hang in there..Smile
|

replied February 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I have heard of this also. It's been all over the news nd TV.
Thanks for link I will take a look at it.
|

replied February 8th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad as well. Keep asking questions. I wish you the best as well.
|
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....