Hi.
My bf has Asperges Syndrome.
he is the only autistic person i have known, so its alittle difficult.
There are certain things he does sometimes, and i feel i dont have the right to be annoyed, as it could be because of his autism.
I have looked it up, and it's usually in alittle too much depth

Im just wondering if anyone could give some brief sypmtoms of it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Sure- my bro has it.

First of all, he doesn't really have "autism", he has a syndrome which is on the autism spectrum. Autism is a different diagnosis. Individuals with asperger syndrome often are socially awkward- it may be hard for him to relate to others because he doesn't pick up on social cues that are obvious to the rest of us. They also may have unusual interests- by bro, for example, is incredibly interested in birds and everything he does seems to revolve around birds. They may have some repetitive movements such as tapping or hand motions, and they be impulsive and seem ego-centric at times. They often have trouble with change. They do not necessarily have any deficit in cognitive ability or language (their intelligence and language ability are similar to the average population).

Many people with asperger syndrome are also diagnosed with ADHD, depression, and anxiety. Many of the social symptoms can be dealt with by social skills training and behavioral coaching, teaching children how to get along in social situations and fit in better. Also, getting involved in a person's "special interests" can help you to connect.

Some things he does may annoy you- but perhaps you can tell him exactly hat he is doing that bothers you and ask that try not to do it? He probably has no idea it annoys you and would be happy to accommodate his behavior if you tell him (kindly, of course)
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
agreed georgia. I get annoyed too. i gently tell them that its bugging me and they say sorry and stop it. patience is key. and yes do get involved in what he likes to do.
|

replied February 13th, 2008
Hi, I have AS myself and I just thought I'd let you know maybe if he was diagnosed later in life (most AS diagnoses are in childhood) then it will be harder, I was diagnosed at 17 and it is hard for me to know what things I do are AS and what things are normal.

If he does something that is obviously not normal let him know - it will help him to stop doing it or change what he is doing.
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Experienced User
I would recommend you look up aspergus syndrom in wikipedia Smile It is very helpful,

I also have Aspergus Syndrome and i find i do spontaneous things and then i lose interest in them after a while. I also found when i was at school id be very unfocused with work and more focussed on my hobbies and gfs and other things.

What kinda things does he do that u are worried about?
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
unforutunately though wikipedia doesnt hold all the information on it. or how to deal with it. i do love wikipedia though
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
The NIMH website usually has really good info. I'm not sure about their coverage of asperger's, but I've found really good articles for other things on there.
|

replied March 13th, 2008
my brother has as too. you have to have a lot of patience. its hard for him socially. he is incredibly smart, just has problems getting it from his brain to the paper or out of his mouth, so it looks like he's stupid and is failing his classes.
my advice would be to tell him what bothers you, but you in turn have to agree to work as well.
|

replied April 15th, 2009
Experienced User
Aspergers
Hi there

Aspergers is another name for autism, and the cause of autism has been isolated.
A Florida researcher and his co-workers and colleagues have identified a milk protein, casomorphin, as the probable cause of attention deficit disorder and autism. They found Beta-casomorphin-7 in high concentrations in the blood and urine of patients with either schizophrenia or autism.

The main protein in cow's milk is casein. This protein breaks down in the intestine to produce a peptide casomorphine, an opiate. Another researcher found that casomorphin could cause or aggravate the symptoms of Aspergers or Autism.
Another researcher wrote; "The quantities of these compounds, as found in the urine, are much too large to be of central nervous system origin.
The quantities are such that they can only have been derived from the incomplete breakdown of certain foods."
Allergies causes incomplete breakdown of foods.
And dairy is the most allergenic substance in the human diet.
No other animal suckles from its mother after infancy
Ban dairy from your house!

Zinc is an essential nutrient for the glands and as the brain consist out of half a dozen glands Zinc could certainly improve brain function. Perhaps sufferers would benefit from a zinc supplement.

Good luck

Kinetico
|

replied December 18th, 2009
Grrrrr!!!! I keep reading these posts by people who don't know anyting about it!!! Unless you have Asperger's you don't really know whta it's like. "Perhaps sufferers would benefit from a Zinc supplement" *rolls eyes*... Who's to say we suffer from Asperger's disorder? I don't consider myself disabled at all! I am differently abled! I have a 155 IQ. I was able to study Violin, Viola, and Cello all at the same time for a year and be at the sme level as the high school students when I was in 5th grade! I can recite a story back to you word for word. I can remember what you were wearing and the first words that you said to me when we first met 10 years after we meet. I love having Aspergers.... I am a rarity among the rare... I am a female Aspie (when only 1 in 10 of people with Asperger's are female) and I am left handed to boot. My Asperger's helps with the analytical side of it and my lefthandedness helps with all my creativity! I can do anythingI put my mind to!

To understand a bit better here are some links....

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_fam ilies/aspergers_disorder

http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis/p20-ch07.h tml

http://books.google.com/books?q=Asperger+d isorder&source=in&ei=s8crS_DeF8GXt ge58fSSCQ&sa=X&oi=book_group&c t=title&cad=bottom-3results&resnum =11&ved=0CD4QsAMwCg

Please do not make assumpitons aout anyone with Asperger's Disorder. Just like everyone else, we are all different. Don't treat us like a text book. Some of us are very passionate about some things... Don't make fun of the passion your signifigant other has about anything. One of mine was Mythology my senior year of high school. I ended a relationship because he teased me about it. My next thing that I became facinated with was the promiscuity of early eras which led to my facintion in finding more about todays sexual promiscutiy and the psychology behind it. My ex is kicking himself now. Who wouldn't want a creative intelligent girlfirend who is sexually curious while still being fairly innocent? My current boyfriend never pressures me and never teases me. don't hurt your other because it may come back to bite you in the "you nkow where"....
|

User Profile
replied January 16th, 2010
Experienced User
I hate having it (although it looks a lot more like Autism that AS).At school there was a girl with downs syndrome who coped better than me yet people say if you look normal,then you are.
When I was 14 I had sadistic teachers,so when I was terrified of stuff,they'd purposely drag me into those situations and I ended up so distressed I was destroying myself and getting worse and worse by the day.The other kids saw how bad I was so they started bullying me by purposely using situations to make me more terrified than I already was and laughing at me.Yet what gets me is if I LOOKED as slow as I was,the teachers wouldn't have let it happen,they wouldn't have dreamt of being sadistic and many would've intervened,but oh...I forgot,it doesn't matter how much mentally challenged people suffer.You have to look downs or something.
(P.S AS people aren't slow.I mean people who are actually mentally impaired and stuff).
And if you look the part,you don't get bullied either.
|

replied May 6th, 2011
Catonia, you are so very right! That was how school was for me, with the "adults" being the worst instigators of all. It was terrible for me, abused in every situation cause I looked fine on the outside. Now my poor son, (21 now) certainly gets a lot better treatment at school than I did (big, BIG changes in special education!) but he still is sooooo tormented by people because he has no physical indicators on the outside showing autism as part of his insides! Lord of the Flies was one of the most meaningful social commentaries ever as far as I am concerned!
|
Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...