Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Coffee, excercise and hypoglycemia

I have heard many things about coffee and exercise and Hypoglycemia, but nothing goes into detail. It is bascially --don't drink coffee--or exercise lowers blood sugar. But does anyone have something in more detail and more elaboration on these two isses?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Exercise doesn't lower blood sugar, it USES it. So yes, expect perhaps a bit of a drop, but it actually helps your sugar level in the long run. Coffee lowers it in hypoglycemics for one important reason. Caffeine isn't really the reason that people feel a high after drinking it. It's actually because it causes your liver to release stores of glucagen, which increases the level of glucose in the blood, leading to the 'high.' In hypoglycemics, this is just interpreted as yet another sugar drop and bad stuff happens. That's it.
|

replied January 27th, 2008
Thanks Stan
I know I am sounding like a crybaby but ... I have tried to cut back on coffee but I get so down and depressed that I have to drink more. I have been drinking 5 to 7 cups a day for 17 years and I think my brain is so used to it that it can't function without it. I mean, I went down to a half cup a day for a month and then nothing for a few days and I could never feel normal". Caffeine is the only thing I haven't mastered in this three month quest to "feel normal". Bummer.
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Well, you're going to have to do it. If you want to end up with diabetes or something more serious, keep drinking it.
|

replied January 28th, 2008
it can take months for you to get over caffeine. keep that in mind. i had a tough time with this one as well. i experimented with just a decaf this past weekend could feel some of my old symptoms returning. it does something to your adrenals. i think it's important to stay away from it all together - 100% no caffeine. try herbal tea or pero. it gets easier, trust me.....
|

Coffee
lulu? (Or anyone) Can you describe in detail the benefits you have found with eliminating caffeine? It is strange, but when you put in the search "benefits of eliminating caffeine" into Google. There are very few stories of people stating how much better it is being without caffeine.
|

replied July 13th, 2011
Benefits of quitting coffee
The benefits are that you aren't exposing yourself to the harsh, natural chemicals in coffee that are hard on your liver and adrenals. Your blood sugar levels will even out over time. (6 months) Your nervous system will not be over stimulated and cause such diseases as anxiety, depression, Parkinsons disease and more that are related to muscle function. You may not get osteoporosis which is definitely related to excess coffee drinking. Your kidneys and bladder will not be overworked leading to cancer or inflammation. You may not get ulcers or gastritis that is caused by too much caffeine on an empty stomach. Coffee is very acidic and causes many problems that most people (and their doctors) just don't connect. That is probably enough bnefits for now. Drink only herbal tea or water. Hang in there with the side effects of caffein withdrawal. They will go away and you will feel great.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I'm not sure why that's strange, it's a stimulant, and thus can be quite nasty if you have too much of it over an extended period of time.
|

i have actually found a lot of stories of the benefits of eliminating it. there is a good book - i think it's called caffeine blues. but either way, waht do you have to lose? give it up a few months and see how you feel. for my body chemistry, stimulants do not work. it has the same effect as sugar. i get the initial high followed by a low. over long term, you are just going to be on a roller coaster ride.

caffeine is the most widely used drug in the world and it is that - a drug.
|

replied January 30th, 2008
Experienced User
I'm drinking roasted dandelion tea ( no caffeine) for liver support now and I read somewhere that it can be used to wean yourself off of coffee. It tastes like coffee to me. It's going to be rough. Maybe switch to green tea first.
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Green tea has A LOT of caffeine in it.
|

replied February 25th, 2008
Down and out at 4pm
Does this sound weird or what?

Mornings are fine, but around 1pm everyday I start to get depressed with the worst part of the depression being around 4pm. And then around 5pm everything starts to go back to normal and by 7pm, I feel great the rest of the night . This happens almost every single day.
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Pretty normal, sugar levels are higher in the evening. Anything in particular you're doing around the time you get sick or about two hours before? Eating something consistently?
|

replied February 26th, 2008
Coffee
I drink alot of coffee in the morning, about 3 cups from 7am till about noon. Could that be the problem?
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Ummm, yeah.
|

replied May 22nd, 2010
How will I survive without coffee?
Question Hi, I hope someone can help me. I am a 38 year old mother of 3 young children who just got diagnosed (2 days ago) with severe hypoglycemia. It now explains the "shakes", severe mood swings, exhaustion, confusion, loss of vision, loss of strength, severe headaches, cravings, fainting, etc. I am happy to know that I am not dying or just going crazy. In my 20's, I self diagnosed myself with Chronic Fatigue. In my early 30's (when I started having children), I diagnosed myself with postpardum depression. Lately, I just thought I had some terminal desease that went undetected for years. I have been researching the condition online and have found some good info. I started my "diet" yesterday, but still feel like a truck hit. I have cut back on the caffine, but I have to admit that I am scared to give up sugar and caffine all at once. How will I make it through a day of work to come home to care for my children (do homework, dinner, baths, etc.) without having anything to rely on to keep my energy up. I am truely scared. I have started light excerise again (which always makes me feel better for a bit) and have started snacking between meals. When will I start to feel like I am "normal?"
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2010
Community Volunteer
Make sure you read my diet thread in this forum. It's called Hypoglycemia Rules and Diet. Most of your questions will be answered there, if not all.
|

replied May 22nd, 2010
just read it and printed it. Twice!

I think I get it....give up the fake high or it will kill me!
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2010
Community Volunteer
Yep, that's it! And it WILL destroy your body. You'll end up with diabetes or just keep getting worse. There was a woman on here, and I believe the post is still here way back somewhere, who did the same thing as you for awhile using glucose tablets. One day, POW. That was the end of it. She nearly crashed while driving, was drooling all over herself and it took like a gallon of orange juice and some cookies to bring her back. Wasn't easy after that.
|
Quick Reply