Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

bruising and discoloration on underside of breasts

Hiya,

Today when I took my shower I took off my shirt in front of the mirror(I don't normally) and gasped when I saw my breasts. They were both bruised on the undersides and there was streaky discoloration to both of them. It looked like my breasts had been beaten. I noticed a week ago that they were very tender to the touch in the same area(underneath) the bruising is, but I didn't think any of it. I did start my period today and normally my breasts do get tender but never this tender and NEVER have they looked like this.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you noticed painless, round, firm lumps in that area?
Do you have large breasts?
|

replied January 27th, 2008
I haven't noticed anything that feels weird like a lump.

This afternoon I was taking a nap and I rolled over and there was a very sharp pain in my left breast. It happens on rare occasions.

Yes, my breasts are large.

The bruising looks better now than it did before but not gone entirely. You know what's really sad is that I'm more worried about Dr/Hospital costs since I don't have insurance than I am about actually having something serious wrong with me.
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2008
I really have no idea what could be wrong. Definatly go to the doctor! Also, there are organizations that believe you don't have to have insurance to receive treatment like American Cancer Society I think is the name.
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you noticed skin retraction, thickening or induration of your breast, too?

These bruising-like appearances can be a sign of a benign inflammatory process of the breasts known as fat necrosis.
Is most common in obese, usually middle-aged women with fatty, pendulous breasts and can be caused by a trauma, including blunt chest trauma, seat belt injury and even minor trauma that the patient may not recollect.
|
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....