Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Sleep Disorder Or Just Crazy?

I'm a bit confused as to what is wrong with me. It's happened all my life, but it's posing a problem now that i'm beginning to spend more and more of my time alone rather than in my parents' house.
I can't fall asleep unless someone else is in the house. And not just anyone, someone that I trust completely. I could be dead tired, there was even one instance where I hadn't slept in 2 days, but since I was alone in the house I couldn't fall asleep no matter how much I told myself that it was safe.
Now, if this were the only problem, I would just make sure someone else were in the house. But I can't fall asleep when certain things aren't done, either. Not necessarily important things... But random things like locking both locks on the door even though it doesn't make a difference, or making sure that everyone who is supposed to arrive at my house is inside and settled. During the day these things don't seem very important to me, but at night they take over my thoughts.
Is this some sort of anxiety disorder...? Can it be treated? It doesn't exactly fit into any of the sleep disorder categories.
Will I ever be able to sleep without worrying? Sad
~ tired
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 29th, 2004
Can't Sleep
Sounds like a severe case of anxiety to me. Maybe skytzophrania[not sure how to spell it] too. See a phsycologist. My mom suffers from both plus is a manic depressant. Definitely get help! Before something happens...Wish my mom had. She had a spell and was found in the woods a week later[mid-winter]. Had to have part of her feet amputated cause of severe frostbite. Don't wait...Get medical help.
|

replied April 29th, 2004
Experienced User
I don't necesarily think it's scizho- but I think it's normal when your alone in a house to feel a little awkward and uncomfortable, even if you are in a safe place. And it's good that you make sure the doors and everything is locked up completely, regardless. My parents both make sure everything is locked down at night even though we live in a safe area and at times so do i, and we all may check several times just to be sure, because it puts your mind at ease. I'm not going to diagnose you but i'v always suffered from insomnia, and alot of the times I can't sleep becasue I think waaaaay too much - especially at night,and it sounds like you may have this along with an ocd(obsessive compulsive) behavior so the best thing for you to do is juat talk to your dr about your concerns, hope I helped a bit!!! Take care!
|

replied July 1st, 2004
It's a good idea to get medical advice. The quality of life(sleep) is worth looking into. To me, it sounds like obsessive compulsive disorder. Don't take our word tho, all we can do is speculate. You owe it to your self to get the right answer. Hope this helps!!

No fake
|

replied October 26th, 2004
Sleep Problems
Sounds more like obsessive-compulsive dissorder to me. Go to a psych. They have good drugs for this now.
|

replied November 19th, 2004
Less Sleep But More Energy
Hi,

i have come across this book about sleep Power fu lsleep
and found it very interesting and what explained in the book is very useful, this is the first time I read such book after 2 years of research about sleep. It actually explains why we feel sleepy and why we require naps and how to get energy when we need it instead of fall asleep.

We don't need more than 8 hours sleep. I have seen speakers who slept only 4 hours a day and full of energy for the whole day and running around without feeling tired.

Grab the free chapter and audio, you may get some improvement from there. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
jen
|

replied November 30th, 2004
Yep, sounds alot like ocd (obssesive compulsive disorder) usually a serotonin imbalance in the brain. I would go see a doctor or psychologist - they can verify that and put you on some meds that will make everything better.
|