Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

Eating Disorders and pregnancy (Page 1)

User Profile
So I'm 16, going to be 17 in July, and there is a possibility that I am pregnant but I have to wait about a week more to see if I get my period. But I'm not only scared of being pregnant itself, but I have been struggling with bulima since I was 12 and its gotten worse over the years. I throw up atleast once a day if not more. And I don't know if I could make myself stop, thats how addicted my body is to it. And if I'm pregnant I ofcourse would want the baby to be healthy, so I'm just wondering what affects my eating disorder could really have on the baby if I'm pregnant, if I was to not stop.. =/
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You baby need vital nutrients when growing and if you are throwing then up i can be detrimental to your baby's health. I would highly recommend seeking help whether or not you are pregnant.
|

Extremely eHealthy
by throwing up you throw up all the foods that your baby needs to become strong and healthy and devolop properly, not to mention youd be throwing up pre-natal vitamins that your baby also needs to prevent spinal bifita...if you are pregnant id highly suggest getting out of your bulimia, not only for your health but for the health of your baby. think of it this way your doing it for a much greater cause...there's other ways of getting thin instead of having an eating disorder.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
If you are pregnant (or even if you aren't) you should definitely look into possibly something like a treatment center. You need to keep down food and vitamins for your baby. It is vital that they get the nutrients they need when they are growing and forming so there won't be any problems. Good luck!
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
I hate to tell you this, but if you purge while you are pregnant-even just a few times-it could have a negative effect on your baby's nutrition. If they are deficient in certain things while in utero, it could seriously effect their brain and/or vital organs.

If you are pregnant, after you make a decision as to what you need to do about your pregnancy (which is something I think you should seriously consider first), I highly recommend that you admit you have an eating disorder to the OB/GYN that you'll be seeing.
|

Especially eHealthy
i agree with everyone else
you have to think of the health and the well being of the baby. an eating disorder is NOT healthy for you but its certainly NOT healthy or fair to that child.
you should seek help now. go see an ob now and see whata they think. they can help you more then we can
|

User Profile
well thank you to those who replied. your input is really appreciated. I agree with with mostly everything everyone said. But I kind of regret posting this topic now, because I feel like everyone thinks negativley of me now because of the question/topic I started, but I dont know how to delete it... I would just like to say that if you have never had a type of eating disorder you really don't know how hard it is just to stop. It's basiically like a drug addiction in a sense. Your body becomes atoned to what you make it do, and it expects that to keep happening, and if you don't do it, you go into a kind of withdrawl. So for those of you who think I'm selfish or something for what I said/asked, I just want you to know that I would love to stop, and If I am pregnant I'm going to try my hardest to give the baby what it needs. I didn't chose for it to end up as bad as it has gotten, it just spiraled downward. But once again, thank you to those who seem more supportive rather than negative. <3

Oh and I have decided what i was going to do with the pregnancy, I would keep it. No consideratiion needed.
|

Especially eHealthy
I think most people can understand its addiction thats why they suggested medical help not just stopping. Please see a doctor either way so they can help you get thru this addiction.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Hun we don't think negatively at all. We are just all trying to give you the best advice for the health of both you and your baby. An eating disorder is an extremely hard thing to go through with, and its really hard to stop. If you are pregnant and keep it, please look into getting some help from an outside source if you aren't able to help yourself on your own. You are strong to even come on and ask for advice.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I found some specific info for you:

How does bulimia affect pregnancy?

If a woman with active bulimia gets pregnant, these problems may result:

* miscarriage
* high blood pressure in the mother
* baby isn't born alive
* baby tries to come out with feet or bottom first
* birth by C-section
* baby is born early
* low birth weight
* birth defects, such as blindness or mental retardation
* problems breastfeeding
* depression in the mother after the baby is born

source

needy_girl, I don't think negatively of you at all. It is very brave to ask for help. I'm not sure if you want to talk about it or not, but I don't know a lot about bulimia and what happens when you try to stop, and I would like to know.
|

User Profile
The fact that you admit you have a problem DOES NOT make others think negatively of you. I think we all just hope that you put your baby first now and try to get over your problem.
|

Especially eHealthy
i dont think negativly about you

i sure have not had a eating disorder but i was addicted to cocaine a while ago. i know how hard it is to feel the way you do

anyways welcome to the boards
my name is suzy im al;so 16 and i have a 7 week old daughter named kristen

i hope you get things sorted out
have you taken a test? what does the possible father think of all of this?

good luck!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Good for you for trying to get help. I know completely how hard it is to get over an addiction, but trust me, knowing you're having a baby is a big kick in the ass motivation wise. You obviously care about this baby (if you are pregnant) and wanting to make sure she's healthy is as far from selfish you can get.

I think you'll be fine if you get some help... just look at Nicole Richie before she got pregnant, and look at how gorgeous she is now!

BTW, I'm Katrina, I'm 16 and am mother to Jayden, who's going to be a month old tomorrow.
|

User Profile
Supporter
You need to see a psychologist. I know your body is addicted to it basically but if you are pregnant you need to get help from someone to help you quit. You need nutrients and so does your baby.
|

User Profile
yes i have taken a test, two actually. i think i took them too early though, because both have came up negative. but i took them about a week and a half after the possible conception. soo im waiting to see if i get my period wich is suppose to be coming along around the 22nd. and if i dont i guess i will be taking another test. ive read that some people dont even get a positive on a test utnil they are like 7-10 weeks though. so i could have just a low hormone level. the possible father to be is completely supportive, this actually wasn't an 'accident' really. i mean we didnt comlpetely plan it but i knew which days i was fertile on and we both just kind of agreed to go through with it. him and i have been together for a little over a year, and are engaged already. though i am 16, i have already graduated from high school [due to hard work on independant study] and i have a full time job at a daycare as an assistant and hes 19 and he works at a telemarketing center. so i have a sutable situation going for me.
|

Especially eHealthy
well its not very likely it will take 7 weeks to get a +
MOST people get one within 2-4 weeks after conception
if you miss your period
test
if its neg then you most liely are just late. not many people have a "low hormone level"
when usen correctly hpts are most likely acurate and correct
if it doesnt come within a week then go see a dr about why your late
remember
your 16
your body is still developing. you can have iregular periods. its very common esp. in women who are young/teens

have you told your parents yet?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Needy_girl I think you are very smart . And you are that much smart to aknowledge you have an eating disorder. That is the big first step to your recovery. Now your second step to your recovery is to go to a treatment center for eating disorders because you are right, you can't conquer bulimia on your own alone. It's too tough. But many women have conquer bulimia succesfully. Look at Kelly Clarkson who conquered bulimia. She decided to go through treatment so she could win the singing contest. She knew she could win but with her condition she was risking to loose the contest because of damage to her vocal cords because of the vomiting. Treatment worked for her and she won the singing contest. So if she can do it, you can do it. Isn't that great? Wish you the best.
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2008
Hun, why on earth did you knowingly have risky sex when you knew you were sick?
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2008
well my mom is dead and my dad is well, a deadbeat who lives with his mother. so i live with my grandmother. and no i havent told her yet. i figured if i was i would tell her the day i found out. my period is due tomorrow, so if it doesnt come by the end of the week im just going to go get tested at the planned parenthood clinic, i figure their tests would be more accurate than a home one...
|

replied January 22nd, 2008
Especially eHealthy
actually there tests would be just the same as a home one Smile
hpt and tests through PP test for hcg hormones in your urine
if your pregnant it will show up on either one

good luck
let us know how it goes
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....