Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Pro-life Arguments (Page 1)

For all the pro-lifers,

what exactly would the ideal situation be for your problems with abortion? Would making abortion illegal make you happy? Is this why you're all so angry?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 29th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Notice they will not respond. Laughing
|

replied April 29th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
Yeah it would! Theres no justification for taking a helpless life!

<3
gaby
|

replied April 29th, 2004
Notice they will not respond Laughing

<3
gaby
|

replied April 29th, 2004
What im guessing is that women who are pro-choice tend to think that a woman ought to have a right to do whatever she wants with her body. Am I right?

I know this is a very sensitive and emotional issue. It has become a political issue today, but my concern is not political but moral and spiritual.

Yes I oppose abortion (except in rare situations such as when the mothers life is clearly in danger and abortion becomes the lesser of two evils) what we have to face is this, is the little life within the womb just a piece of human tissue, or is it more than that. A human being even when it is very young and could not sustain itself outside the womb? It is at this point that emotions tend to get in the way and people attempt to answer the question in way that will agree with what they think. But we need to look at this as reasonably as possible.

Does the bible, give any answer to the question of whether or not a fetus is a human being in god's eyes?

Yes it does giving several illustrations to indicate that a fetus is a human being. For example, god told jeremiah " before I formed u in the womb I knew you, before u were born I set you apart; I appointed you as [removed by Admin] to the nations" (jeremiah 1:5) or when mary the mother of jesus became pregnant by the holy spirit she went immediately to visit her cousin elizabeth, who was pregnant with john the babptist johns mother declared " as soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy" (luke 1:44) implying the fetus was fully human.

I hope you will reconsider your stand-

so I say for pro choicers that the real issue with you is not just abortion and whether or not you have a right to terminate the life of a child who is growing within you . The real issue is whether or not you will insist on running your own life according to your own standards, or whether you will instead let god run your life. You have made your declaration of independence as it were and idependence from god. By doing so u are saying that you know better than god does what is best for you. You are also saying that you dont need god. But this is wrong. God created you. Right now you are a slave. A slave to yourself and your own limitations, whether you like to admit it or not. ~ erica.
|

replied April 29th, 2004
Pro-choicers are dumb!! =) thats all I have to say!

<3
gaby
|

replied April 29th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
There isn't name calling and insulting aloud on this forum, so let's keep that in mind.
And as the above post said, (except in those rare instances....) that is exactly why abortion needs to remain legal. If it is made illegal then the baby would always have to be carried full term - no exceptions. That means that when a woman is raped she will have to carry the baby. That should be her choice. Or if the mother is going to die from carrying the child she needs to be able to do what she feels best. Bottom line.
If you don't agree with that fine. We all have our own opinions. But the fact of the matter is no one has the right to tell anyone else what to do. Never. So, if I wanted to have an abortion, no one has the "right" to make me have the baby. Plain and simple.
Every situation is different and we have to respect that. That is how I feel. But I am not telling you that you are stupid, so please don't tell me that I am. I happen to be very intelligent thank you very much.
And why was my post repeated above? Was that suppose to be funny or something? I was simply stating a fact, and it worked! Now there are responses, aren't there?
|

replied April 29th, 2004
So it should be made illigal except in the case of endangerment of the mother.

<3
gaby
|

replied April 29th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Ideally yes, but the problem is then everyone would say that they needed it for their health. And it would have to be "approved" and whatnot. It just would not work. Plus, there are so many other situations that cannot be looked at like another.
|

replied April 29th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I think that abortion should be made illegal to those who just use it as a form of birthcontrol... I think to be able to get an abortion you should have proven rape (reporting it and pressin charges) and with other cases like medical problems with either the baby or mother... But I think it is just terrible that some people use it as a form of birth control. Im sorry I might not sound to smart, but this is how I feel about the abortion issue.
|

replied April 29th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I don't like people using it as birth control either. The problem with your above suggestion is everyone would claim it. And as for pressing charges and whatnot most rapes are never reported. Most that are reported are never proved, because it is he said/she said. It would be ideal, yes, but it just wouldn't work.
|

replied April 29th, 2004
I did not insult you, mock your post or call you names. Just so you know. ~ erica.
|

replied April 29th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I know erica! Thanks for clarifying anyway! Smile
|

replied April 29th, 2004
Experienced User
This may be a little off the topic, but whatever...Religion was brought into the abortion debate somewhere above. I'm not saying being a christian catholic or whatever should not weigh in with someones decision on abortion, but it should not allow other people who have religious beliefs of what god is or how god will judge one for their decision to weigh in. Ultimately if one is religious and goes ahead with abortion shouldn't they leave that in the hands of god to judge them with their choice and not others?
|

replied April 29th, 2004
So, if people want abortion made illegal - prohibition - do you seriously think that will stop women from having abortions? Does making drugs illegal stop people taking drugs? Did making alcohol illegal stop people drinking? Does making prostitution illegal stop prostitution?? No. Thousands of people died from drinking moonshine liquor and bad drugs - and thousands of women the world over found raped and mutilated in gutters because society gives men the idea that nobody will miss a prostitute.

When something is legal it can be regulated. Drug-addicts can have access to safer drugs, counselling and rehabilitation. Prostitutes can work together indoors in a loving and safe enviroment, and have access to career counselling and therapy tp help them break the cycle of abuse. There would be less 12 year-old girls walking the streets because daddy will beat them if they don't.

Abortion was legalised because frightened and deperate women were having abortions illegally and most were dying shameful, painful, and terrifying deaths - handing over hundreds of dollars for the privilege. Having the option to choose a safe abortion and appropriate counselling is one of the many gifts modern society has given women. Women will always need abortions. People who oppose abortion are taking the control of reproduction away from women and putting it into the hands of politicans.

It's sweet that you quote the bible to try and make me sacrifice my beliefs and adopt a misogynistic minority opinion. However, i'm a woman and I beleive that people have the right to make mistakes. Many christians accept that the bible was written by men (who are flawed) and is therefore open to interpretation - it only has a rough bearing on actual opinions of god (who is perfect). If god exists, as christians believe, then he supposedly gave us free-will and the freedom to make our own mistakes.

Exactly *who* has abortions as a method of contraception? There are dozens of preventative contraceptives out there, and also several brands of morning-after-pill that is safe to use three days after unprotected sex. Nobody has to use abortion as a method of contraception anymore - they don't say "hey, i'm going to have unprotected sex because I can just have an abortion" because they can take morning-after-pills before it comes to that! I think it's a terrible thing to take abortion lightly - especially when there might be young girls on here who are considering an abortion. Abortion is a traumatic decision, which is why the clinic employ prfessionals to help the girls make the right decision.

Do pro-lifers also disapprove of contraception? The iud and coil work by making the womb impossible to inhabit, causing what could be described as a mini-abortion every month. I have an implant in my arm that tricks my body into thinking i'm already pregnant - is this against god too? By your logic all contraception is bad because god intended sex for making babies only.
|

replied April 29th, 2004
Experienced User
Here here! Good point!!Hahaha
|

replied April 30th, 2004
Especially eHealthy
Hey
Abortion:
just beacause you have an aborting, it doesn't make you un-pregnant. It simply makes you the mother of a dead child.

Abortion is not a nice act! Plain and simple any way you cut it. God made you preggy....God put that child in you. Wether it's rape....Or hazadrous to your health. Abortion is not a nice act anyone who disagrees......Well, you'll answer for that one day. It's not me to judge you on your stand. I simply think it's sick! It's not a nice act and it should be illegal......No ifs, and, or buts!
|

replied April 30th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
If it is a religious issue, it does not belong in law. As you say, if it is a sin, and one is punished in an afterlife, then isn't that enough? If your god wanted people not to do it, then he could stop them? Be a lot easier than sneaking into their rooms and impregnating them in the first place. If you believe god, or aliens or the archangel gabriel made you pregnant, great, hang onto that.
|

replied April 30th, 2004
Especially eHealthy
Hey
You must be atheist or soemthing correct? Well.....You'll deal with that in the end too. Law and god go together. If not....We'll have no control. It should be not a nice act in law and a sin in god's eyes....We know it's a sin....But ythe law.... Well. Ya know!
|

replied April 30th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Lol if religion doesnt belong in the law then why does it say "under god" in the pledge of alegiance. If what you said is true why is our whole constitution based on the laws of god? Our whole counrty was built with religion... But poopoopoo, your from the uk arent you? If you had any kind of moral values you would know without a doubt or second thought what is right and what is wrong. That comes from the holy spirit and not anything that man has written down in a book someplace. No matter what anybody says abortion is still not a nice act. Its taking a life... And taking a life is not a nice act, it doesn matter how old the fetus( stem cell, or embryo) is, once a child is concieved it is a life, just because it isnt fully formed doesnt mean anything.
|
Quick Reply