Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

food allergies and protein intolerance

I am an athletic / healthy 27 year old female living overseas with a history of food allergies. Originally, I thought that I had some underlying issues with eating food since my weight is "low" (according to websites), but it seems as though I am picky due to how food makes me feel. So, after some research and consultations, I have concluded that I am w/in the normal range for my body. I am now thinking that I may have problems digesting proteins, thus making me feel sick fairly often. I get severe gas, diarreah, and nausea after I eat certain foods; this is making it hard to eat. Here is the list of foods that that were under suspicion: eggs, dark breads, Tofu, and whey. After I ate dark bread or my protein bar I would get sick, so those are now completely out of my diet. Sad On separate days, I reintroduced eggs and Tofu, both times I got sick. Symptoms arrive as soon as 1 hour after eating these items and can last for up to 5 hrs. Is there a connection in the protein chain of these foods? I have no problems with cheeses or milk and I had no problems when I took those things out of my diet. I don't understand. Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 16th, 2008
Experienced User
sounds like you might have irritable bowel syndrome (ibs) they have medicines that can help you with that.

goodluck
|

replied August 8th, 2008
RE: food allergies and protein intolerance
Hi - sorry to hear of your troubles. It sounds like you could have a food allergy to eggs, soy and possibly wheat or gluten. Do you have an allergist? S/he can do testing to help you figure it out. Celiac disease can also cause you to be sensitive to multiple foods; you are on the right track to avoid the foods that cause you GI distress, but work with your doctor and/or a nutritionist to help ensure you are getting proper nutrition along the way. Best wishes...
|
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....