Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

panic attacks and pins and needles in head

Hi guys, i hope someone here can relate to my feelings at the moment. Firstly thankyou to the guys that put together the list of symptoms, there are a number of them that i experience. The problem I have is that i am 90% cetain that i am causing myself to feel this way but i do get concerned i may have an illness when i think about things more deeply as i cannot seem to stop this. I get pins and needles in my head, and have panic attacks just out of the blue, I get restless and uncomfortable and it usually happens at the end of the day. However if i do have a drink the following morning i also tend to suffer some of these symtoms along side a hangover but i do not think my symptoms are alcohol related as i do not drink regularly. I really would just like to hear someone else say they know how i am feeling and whether or not they have any methods which help them. I appreciate any response
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper syg
|

replied January 10th, 2010
I wrote an absolutely huge reply explaining how I felt exactly the same and the stupid forum had an error and didn't post it, so I have now lost everything I typed, which took 30 minutes Sad

I know this is an old post, but you may still see this, I hope you're feeling better anyway, and you certainly aren't alone, I am going through this terribly again right now, but I'll get through again, and so will you.

People like us have extreme happy times, then bad, anxious, panic ridden terrible times. Just remember without feeling bad we wouldn't feel good, as we would never know the difference, that is what I always tell myself.

Stay strong and remember the majority of the day you are fine like me, but then for a few hours at night you lose your mind, go out of control with panic, then get horrible tingling sensations in the front and back of your head, like a numb (impossible to describe) feeling in your head, which is also accompanied by all the other horrible symptoms, pins and needles through your body, a racing heart, feeling dizzy and as though your going to faint, and your fingers may not be able to bend, but it's all from panic, I know this too, yet I can't stop it. Yet, we can keep it under control by thinking positive and knowing it's just another phase in your life were things aren't perfect, and this time next year you may well be happy and super confident.
|

replied May 17th, 2011
I type my replies on a word document and save them then copy and paste it to the window. That way if it doesn't send you still have the document. Just a thought. Smile) I would like to reply to a post you made later in this forum if I may. It may take a little time but hey time is all I have. Thank you.
|

replied November 23rd, 2011
Good idea! I will definitely do that in future haha. Go ahead and reply Smile
|

replied January 10th, 2010
Just to add,

I too think continuously that I have something physically wrong, going to A&E a lot to say the least. I get like that sometimes, usually when things aren't going great, you then get run down, lose your appetite, lose sleep, all the usual things that create the perfect remedy for anxiety and panic to thrive.

It's so frightening when these feelings happen, and like you it's the pins and needles in my head I can't deal with, and doctors or if you go to hospital just don't seem to care nor understand that you genuinely can't feel your head and that you're getting indescribable sensations, that truly do freak you out. It is horrible, but I have had this before 3 years ago, and I got rid of it by getting my life back together, going to the gym, eating properly & looking after myself in general.

I am too back to square one, I know it is going to be hard to get right again, but I have done it before, and no matter how tired, weak or terrible we feel, we have to wake up some mornings and force ourselves to get better and to face our fears. I promise you that those head sensations can be eradicated, and I have that sensation every night, understanding how crippling and horrifying it is.

So don't worry. For all I know you could be fine now, but if you are not, please reply, as I will be delighted to talk to you and share experiences and advice from my personal feelings.

Smile
|

replied March 18th, 2010
I get these pins and needles to. It is driving me crazy! I was worried maybe it was MS. Sometimes it starts in my hands or feet but eventually spreads, I feel it in my head sometimes tongue, arms and legs. How long does it usually last for you guys? For me if I am sitting still, it can last hours,sometimes minutes. Do you notice that sitting can bring it on or walking around can lesson it?

I am one of those people who is constantly worrying, so that is why I am wondering if it is anxiety and not multiple sclerosis. Would love your opinions please, as I am freaking out!
|

replied March 24th, 2010
Hi
Hi Jen,

Sorry for the late response I have just stumbled upon my original post by chance, as I look around for people like me who suffer from anxiety lol

Is it just pins and needles you're getting or are you getting a lot of the other symptoms I have described too?

I don't want to make you worry and I also don't want to tell you it's just anxiety, but look at me for instance, all of what I said above was magnified even worse recently, I have been through the worse time ever.

Genuinely thinking I was dying, and I still feel pretty bad now, I have a permanent headache and have done for about 2 months, but, and a big but, I had a CT scan and everything was normal, I also had all my blood tests done, etc, again everything was normal.

You see, so as much as I find it hard to accept, it appears all the horrific ill and unbearable feelings and sensations I get are all caused by Panic Attacks and Anxiety, and always have been for me all these years on and off.

Now my Panic Attacks are far less frequent and are more manageable just these past weeks, after I have started to maybe make sense of everything more and to learn that Anxiety can really cause some nasty and yet harmless effects on the body.

I have had Panic Attacks, Anxiety and Depression for over ten years on and off, sometimes very severely and then yet sometimes not at all, so I thoroughly understand every possible symptom you could get, yet still I get overly worked up and frightened beyond belief when I get physical symptoms.

Now back to your pins and needles, see your doctor because it's not for me to diagnose you, but I will tell you this which may hopefully give you some relief. I get pins and needles with Anxiety sometimes that bad, that my head feels completely numb along with my neck and face. I also get it that bad in my hands that I can't even bend my fingers at all or move my arms and hands, that's what leads me to think I am having a stroke, when in reality I have hyperventilated so badly that my breathing has become so dramatic without me realising it, causing all the horrid pins and needles sensations.

I sometimes deny that my breathing has got out of control if I see the doctor about Panic Attacks, saying ''no but this time it was different, I was breathing fine yet all the symptoms still happened, so it must be something else''

We Anxiety sufferers fear things more than other people unfortunately, and what a slight case of pins and needles or headaches would be to someone else, to us it would progress into some imaginary serious health condition in our minds.

I feel for you, and feel so much from the bottom of my heart for anyone who feels like this, because I truly know how it feels, I really, really do.

All I can say is keep strong in the sense that, don't go reading online about what all the horrific things your symptoms are related to, because you'll find that most of the symptoms of Anxiety appear to mimic and be the same as numerous serious health conditions, although in serious health conditions they would certainly not go on for as long as some people experience the apparent symptoms.

So it can only point to anxiety and stress, and that's why Doctors say it, it's not because they want to disregard you, but it's because they see the pattern in your behaviour and also in your symptoms, and when tests come back fine, along with CT scans etc, they can be pretty damn sure that you're a reasonably healthy person.

So instead look at people like yourself, talk to people like me, people who experience the same symptoms, and are yet healthy underneath in reality, whether they like to admit it to themselves or not.

Remember part of curing Anxiety and Panic Attacks is acceptance, now that may sound patronising but that's definitely not the intention. I can say this because I'm still suffering now, pretty bad too, I also have the horrible headache as I write this now, but I'm getting better again slowly because my mind has run out of possible illnesses, because I have had it proved that everything is normal.

Even though I would always advise that everybody (and I mean everybody) goes to their doctor about their symptoms and problems, I will say to you and to people who suffer from anxiety problems this, remember back to the furthest time away from the present day when you had a panic attack or these same symptoms. Did anything happen terrible last time? No probably not, and you've probably experienced these symptoms before, maybe years ago and yet you have forgotten.

A big part in what's getting me on the mend so fast again is this exact point. Four years ago I had these exact same physical symptoms and I felt just as bad as I do now, or at least did over the past six months. Four years ago I was bad, but I got better, even if it did take two years, but I did it, and I had a year of no Panic Attacks hardly whatsoever and I lived happily, which I never ever thought possible.

Unfortunately some stressful occurrences got the better of me and I sunk into the same scenario all over again, but that's just it, triggers cause it all, and if you let it take control of you again, it will most certainly oblige.

Just remember just as easy as Anxiety can come, it can also go, it might take a little longer to get rid of it and to be free of it than it did to develop it in the first place again, but if you understand that you're mind can be free again, you will do it, you really will.

Even though at present I am not 100%, I can feel the recovery process happening all over again, and no doubt three months from now, my life will turn back around, just like so many of your lives out there will too, if you let yourselves fight back.

Remember how ill Anxiety can really make you, not just mentally but also physically, just keep telling yourselves all it is IS ANXIETY and that these times will pass, and at least we can appreciate the good times when they come again because we have most certainly experienced the bad.

I really hope this makes you feel a bit better Jen, and to know that I can reassure someone a little makes me feel better inside, because I really understand the hell it puts you through.

Also to anyone else out there who is feeling completely down and out and is finding it hard to deal with, just remember that there is people out here, even complete strangers that truly care about how you feel, and they will always be here to share their experiences and to talk to you.

If anyone replies to this, don't worry if I take a week or so to respond, because I will respond, I am just a little busy again as my life starts to become normal again, finally starting to enjoy time with my partner again, etc.

Thanks to those who read, and most definitely to those who feel helped at all from my experiences. Just remember, you are truly not alone, and that is an absolute fact.
|

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2011
I know this was written almost two years ago - but I'd just like to say thanks Very Happy made me feel a bit better, hopefully I can be as strong as you and pull through this. Because it is a horrible feeling.. And I need to get it through my head I am not going to die! haha.

Thanks again.
Danika.
|

I haven't been on these forums for a very long time obviously haha, I completely forgot. I just received an email from the forum, so I thought I would go and check my old posts and messages Smile

I'm glad it made you feel a little better, and reading it myself gives me a good outlook again.

Cheers

Smile
|

replied March 24th, 2010
Thanks for the reply, your the only one who has done so. The pins and needles have actually been at bay for the last few days it has not been as bad. I get weird pains, diarrhea, loss of appetite, can't sleep. I also itch, usually everywhere. During my last pregnancy 1 1/2 yrs ago, I developed a condition with my liver/gallbladder that makes you itch. After you deliver it's supposed to go away. I still have bouts of itching and every time it occurs (like now) I freak out that there is something more serious wrong with my liver. Is it going to fail, maybe it's my kidneys because I do pee more and sometimes my urine is foamy. See when you itch everywhere with no rash, they say it's something internal like, kidneys, liver, thryoid, diabetes or cancer. Lovely list huh. I also have had a few nights where I trembled (like when your cold), not sure what that was about. However; when I looked it up it was listed under anxiety.
For me it seemed that the numbness and tingling started and different pains in different places, and then the horrible panic attacks stemmed from wondering and reading what it could be. Before that, I just worried about my liver, and my teeth hurting (because of TMJ) but I wondered if I would need a root canal. I have had depression for 10 yrs., but since I delivered I have not been back on my meds because meds would make my itching flare up. So I was too scared to start on them because I worried I would damage my liver.
I saw the Neurologist to be on the safe side. I have EEG's EMG's and MRI's scheduled, as well as appt. with the Liver Dr. again to check on my itching. I doubt that is anxiety. All I know is that I feel out of control. It is so bad that I honestly am scared for the next day because I don't know how to get through another one, when I can barely survive this day. The anxiety is so intense!! My husband doesn't know what to do for me, although he has talked about committing me Smile nice huh. But that was just when I spoke of ending it all, not something I will do actually.

Since all of your tests came back normal , don't you ever think that maybe it didn't show up yet./ With me and worrying about MS. I know that sometimes MS takes years and years to actually be diagnosed. I worry that if all my tests come back normal I will still have that in the back of my mined. How do you get through that?

THanks so much for responding!! I truly feel I have no one who understands!!! I will look forward to receiving another reply!
|

replied March 24th, 2010
Hi syg,

Thanks for your thoughtful advice. I am also one of those people who suffer from anxiety and what I read in your post made feel a lot better. I have been living with it for about 3 years now and as you said I sometimes get better before it all comes back to me again.

I am in college right now and because of anxiety I am having a little hard time socializing and making friends. When someone comes and start talking to me, my heart beats faster and I get short of words. I really get embarrassed and don't even want to talk to that person again. Because of this I don't have the guts to get close to someone and be friends with them. I feel bad and lonely but at times I try to tell myself that all is for the good and will get better one day.
Anyways thanks again for sharing your life experiences, it is really comforting. Razz
|

replied March 24th, 2010
Hi jenp17,

I don't really think I can worry about it not showing up yet, because I have literally when I think about it experienced these severe symptoms for many years on and off.

The more you think about it the more it's there, and I truly understand that. Don't worry so much, you have some medical issues, but have faith in your doctors and also have faith in knowing that other people are the same as you, and have had the same symptoms for far longer than we have, 20-30 years.

As regards the itching, I do get that, like a prickling burning sensation, but I do tend to get a breakout of eczema very rarely, other than that my skin is extremely clear, but can still itch like mad, but it's again due to irritation.

Remember the thousands of nerves located in every single square inch of your body. Your skin can react just as much as your breathing, or your head, or the pins and needles. Anxiety can literally come in many forms, I have experienced every symptom, and have literally made hundreds of A & E visits over the years.

I too, like you find it hard to get rid of the thoughts that cause these problems in the first place, but I have got rid of these problem thoughts before through lifestyle changes, simple things like going to the gym three times a week, eating properly, etc.

If you don't exercise, then seriously try it, I promise you within a few weeks you'll feel pretty good, even if the thought of it all seems unbearable, because it seemed like that to me at first.

Remember I have been through severe Anxiety, got back out of it, then ended up back in it. In the year that I got myself well, after going to the gym, eating healthy, etc, I looked at my best ever, felt brilliant and truly felt nearly free from Anxiety. All you have to do is learn to at first live with those negative and frightening thoughts, and keep playing them down, until eventually by talking to people like me and reading similar stories you'll start to not worry at all when an ill related thought arrives.

Over the next few days I'll share more of my experiences with you and others, and I will explain over time practically all the problems that I have truly had with Anxiety, etc. To give an in depth description would take me hours, so what I do is talk about the things that I feel will make you feel more reassured.

I'll be back on tomorrow evening Smile
|
Users who thank syg for this post: jenp17 

replied March 24th, 2010
Hi dureti,

Don't worry about the not talking to people part, that may not be your Anxiety, you may just be that type of person who likes to keep your distance, it's highly likely that you'll be very outgoing underneath, and you probably know you are already when you're in the right circle of people who you trust.

Contrary to the fact that I suffer from severe Anxiety, Depression and Panic Attacks, I am the opposite in social situations, I am extremely outgoing and very talkative, probably enough to make other people feel uncomfortable or threatened, but I don't mean to, it's because Anxiety can make you feel very Hyperactive at times.

A lot of people who know me for instance would definitely not expect me to suffer from what I do, but if only they knew. You see if things get bad for me, and I mean really bad, I become agoraphobic, so I literally never leave the house, for periods of up to three months. So obviously when I do that, nobody sees me, so nobody sees that I am ill, then when I'm ready to face the world I look all well and normal again, and everyone just assumes that I have been fine throughout and that I have just been laying low for a while. When in reality I have just been to hell and back.

So what I am trying to say is, don't think that people might think you're strange or that there's something wrong with you, because there'll literally be hundreds of other fellow students around you feeling the exact same way, yet you just won't know it or see it.

Even though you feel like shouting when your having a Panic Attack in a Public Place ''Hey, anybody, is anyone else here suffering with Panic Attacks'' obviously you won't, but I can guarantee that if you did somebody would most likely stand up and agree.

It all comes down to courage, and that seems to be something you're lacking, and that DOES NOT make you weak, timid and shy. You're probably just finding your feet, and because you have underlying Anxiety and Panic Attack issues you're finding it very hard to mix and socialise, which is extremely understandable.

What you should do is concentrate on yourself and not what people around you are thinking, think about what matters, think about being free from this Personal Fear and Anxiety in the first place, then worry about your social type Anxiety.

I might sound all strong and all high and mighty towards the subject, but believe me I have really had some unbearable Panic Attacks, and a lot of them in busy public places, and I genuinely have made a fool of myself because I've done things like run into a shop to get them to ring me an ambulance and stuff lol

Now at the time it wasn't funny, and when I have my next Panic Attack I certainly won't find that funny either, and it will probably take an hour of my Girlfriends time to convince me that I don't need to go to Hospital, even though at the time I'll be violently shaking, breathing uncontrollably and saying ''but you don't understand I'm going to faint or even die, I feel worse this time please believe me''

So what I am trying to get at is if you can laugh at Panic Attacks and Anxiety in between suffering with it, and understand it while you get the chance on your calm hours, you can then start to see how silly it is sometimes.

I can definitely see my Healing on the Horizon and all because of acceptance. I'd love to bring some of you with me into the life of normality, with limited Anxiety and no worry, or at least just normal worries and problems.

It is possible for everyone, if we all stick together and all keep each other strong and reassured, gradually one by one we will all get better, and when we get bad again, we can just do the same over and over, because we know in the end that being free from Panic Attacks is a reality, and that's a fact Smile
|

replied March 24th, 2010
Syg,

Your like some mysterious angel Smile I look forward to hearing more tomorrow. Reading all this has helped. I may even sleep tonight. Tomorrow is filled with Dr.'s appointments. Sleep well

Jennifer
|

replied April 16th, 2010
Syg,
I personal messaged you as well, but I don't think that you get an email confirmation from that. See this is the first time in my life that I have suffered from this dibilitating anxiety. So I don't have anything to look back on. I don't even know if these problems are my anxiety, but I do know that I have not been on my depression meds for almost 3 yrs. It started getting really bad, some nights I wasn't sleeping because I just felt horrible. I did stress all the time about my liver itching and my TMJ flaring up so that was the extent of my anxiety and not sleeping. However; one morning I woke up (started my period)and felt the pins and needles in my feet an hands. Went to the Dr. felt like I had sinus infection not sure I did, but I got on an antibiotic. Then I started getting horrible diarrhea and stopped the meds. The pins and needles got worse, then it was in my arms and everywhere at times. Went to the hospital, still so anxious I could barely get through. Got shaky and everything. Then it spiraled down hill. Now I wake up in the morning and am hit with the anxiety! I have it all day and night. I don't think I can cope! If my insurance covered it I would probably have checked myself in somewhere. so you see maybe it is some disease and not anxiety, I don't know SYG what did you have in the beginning? I can't eat I can't sleep I don't know what to do. You bring me comfort through your word's to know that I am not the only one. If you know of any good anxiety websites please personal message me with them.

Thanks and sorry for the long post Smile
|

Hey Jen, hope all is well! Sorry it has been a while since I have been on, well over a year and a half almost haha.

I would just like to see if you're okay, and anyone else from on here, if they are okay too Smile
|

replied May 31st, 2010
I have also PM'd you two messages, this one & another shorter one before it.

I just read your message now after I had just sent that message before. Rest assured that honestly I have experienced some horrific symptoms from anxiety before, and I think in reality that's what is causing my permanent headache right now, but like you the slightest pain, or the slightest pressure makes me think something ten times worse is wrong.

To make myself feel more reassured, I think back over the years, remembering that I have felt like this before, and then felt better completely, only to end up back like this again. But, the thing to take from that is, if there is something serious wrong, and I mean urgently serious, you would not make it for that long. Doctors seem to neglect, but they're not really neglecting us, they understand in 90% of cases that what we are experiencing can all be caused by severe anxiety.

I think what me and you need to do, is concentrate on eliminating our health anxiety, and even though we both experience severe physical symptoms all the time, we need to try and battle them feelings. Sometimes my head hurts so bad I cry, but then when I think about it, it's the thinking about it hurting that makes it hurt more, but if I forget about it and concentrate on something else, low and behold the headache eases dramatically.

We both have a lot of issues, but believe me you can and will get over this, your mind is just stuck in a loop, a long loop that needs adjusting, and you can do it and you will. I will do it again too, I have before and I will again, and I promise to try and help you with my words as much as I can, when I can.

Just know that as you sit there and feel alone, that thousands of us are feeling and experiencing the same thing. Be strong, don't give up ever, and know that when you get over this, you are going to feel even better than you ever thought possible before all of this started.

Imagine the relief when you really do get better, because you will, and you'll appreciate it more than most. Remember to keep a close relationship with your Doctor, turn your fear of them into trust, and swap Doctors until you find one who seems sympathetic (that's what I did) and it works wonders.

I'll help you, and hearing your story helps me, I'm not some angel (as far as I'm aware lol), but just a deep, sensitive and caring Human being who would truly help anyone on earth if I could, because I know there are so many people out there who would help me too, and have.

Stick close to positive thoughts, even if you only have one a week, let that be the thought that overshadows the rest, keep trying it, and it will work, eventually with time. Get plenty of rest, and read this post again and again, every time you feel anxious or scared by a physical symptom.

I hope you're okay,

Speak soon :0)
|

replied November 23rd, 2010
Hearing your stories helps me a little..I have bad anxiety will I hope I do..I fear that I have an illness that no one can detect..I went to the hosptial with a headache that hurt really bad I dont remember having a headache that bad before..They did a Ct scan and they said that everything was fine but then I started to tell myself that they missed something and that they didnt read it right and that our hospital sucks and they dont know what they are doing..I have get shooting pains in my head periodally but they last a second and thats it and not everyday so that freaks me out as well..I have days and weeks that I freak over my health like I am going to have a brain aneurysm or a turmor and that I am going to die and nobody will be around...My husband is in jail and Im a single mother so I dont know if the stress has become to much or if I really do have an illness...I also wake up in the middle of the night freaking out like im going to die or sometimes have the shooting pains..Can someone please help or does this sound like anxiety to anyone or should I be concerned???
|

I know this is a while back when you wrote this, but yes it genuinely can be caused by anxiety. I hope you are feeling better, and things have improved for you.

All of what you are saying, are things that I too have experienced, and the fact that we are on such a heightened sense of alert really makes us focus in on those pains, that we normally wouldn't or at least shouldn't really notice that bad.

Like I say, I hope things are better for you.

Smile
|

replied January 6th, 2012
panic attacks
i've just read the stories of everyone who have suffered from panic attacks and the one from syg i could have written myself, as i have had the same symptons. what type of medication(s) have the doctors perscribed that helped to lessen the pins and needles, headaches, and nausea?. sometimes i have it so bad i can't sleep, eat, or do anything but cry. iv'e been to several doctors and specialists and they have ran so many tests and everything cecked out ok. this has gone on for over 6 months now. if anyone can possibly tell me what has worked for them, i would be so greatful.
|

replied January 6th, 2012
Drop me a PM in detail and hopefully I can help you a bit.

I have managed to almost eradicate this from my life, and I was in a terrible way previously. It has been about 6 months for me, and I can honestly say that I have pretty much removed these symptoms.

It has been a LONG and HARD road, and felt almost impossible at times. If I can do it pretty much, then I am certain anyone can!

Don't worry, there's people around to help.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...