Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Labor and Delivery Forum

Scared of pain during labor and delivery

hey I just wanted some other womens opinions. I'm 17 years old and I'm 8 months pregnant and I'm starting to get scared I'm not sure I'm going to be able to handle the pain during labor. I'm afraid I'll pass out during the delivery has this ever happened? How can I prepare for the pain? Please help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper roxy1234
|

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
if your that afraid of the pain remember there are always pain mamagment medications

i had my daughter at 18, it hurts, a lot, but its nothing the human body cant handle

good luck

~alicia~
|

replied January 17th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I got the epidural and everything was just fine. The pain afterwards was what hurt. I had to sit on a donut pillow wherever we went for weeks and spray with dermoplast every few hours. I did get to experience painful contractions but once your in labor you realize your baby is coming and 9 mos of waiting is almost over and the adreneline keeps you going. Im sure youll do fine!
|

replied January 17th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
im 16 yrs old and i have a 7 week old daughter
labor was easy and i loved it and i didnt hurt at all!!!! but im lucky lol
everyone says im crazy

dani is right though after words SUCKS big time.
|

replied January 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I got the epi, didn't feel a damn thing Laughing
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I was afraid to death of the pain too at 8 months. I just had my son and I wanted an epidural, well, I was induced and my progress went to quickly that I couldnt have an epi when I finally asked for one, so I had my son all natural. It hurt a lot yes, but my mind went into a "zone" and I handled it a lot better then you could imagine. Your body just knows what to do and you work with what you feel is right. I am very flexible and I would bend over and squat a lot, the way I breathed helped a lot too. I studied a lot and looked at a ton of graphic pictures before I had my son so I kinda knew what to expect, it took some fear out of me. I wish you the best of luck. The lamaze thing diddnt work for me but breathing in thru my nose for 3 secs and holding it for 3 secs and then letting it out of my mouth for 3 secs worked like a charm. Thats what got me through the crowning and pushing stages. I found those both to be more painful then the actual contractions. I'm sure you will do fine! Smile Goodluck!
|

User Profile
I was afraid to death of the pain too at 8 months. I just had my son and I wanted an epidural, well, I was induced and my progress went to quickly that I couldnt have an epi when I finally asked for one, so I had my son all natural. It hurt a lot yes, but my mind went into a "zone" and I handled it a lot better then you could imagine. Your body just knows what to do and you work with what you feel is right. I am very flexible and I would bend over and squat a lot, the way I breathed helped a lot too. I studied a lot and looked at a ton of graphic pictures before I had my son so I kinda knew what to expect, it took some fear out of me. I wish you the best of luck. The lamaze thing diddnt work for me but breathing in thru my nose for 3 secs and holding it for 3 secs and then letting it out of my mouth for 3 secs worked like a charm. Thats what got me through the crowning and pushing stages. I found those both to be more painful then the actual contractions. I'm sure you will do fine! Smile Goodluck!
|

scared of labour
hi i have 4 children, i would just like to encourage you and say every first is a scarey in everything. Each preg and person is so different, and so will labour be so.

one thing i learnt was that with each contraction telling yourself that is one step closer to seeing my baby, my baby is working hard too. i would focus on who this little person is and what are they going to look like rather than the pain, keep telling yourself youa re doing a great job, and for support get someone to help who calms you.

stress interferes with your natural endorphins(natural pain relief)
It is normal to be anxious, i have a friend and she had twins, very little pain during contractions, she didnt realise she was in labour. I would encourage you to find some positive birth stories, as your body is designed to deliver your precious baby. rescue remedy can knock off the anxiety if you need it. there is nothing wrong with pain relief if you need it, this is your body, you are on this journey. its good to talk with your maternal cargiver as to their views on these issues to help put your mind at ease. water also helps in labour. i always had treats just for me, moro bars etc, i
once bub is born i would also recomened rose and calendula nipple cream if you intend to feed, a brilliant product.
|

i would also suggest doing some research on natural pain relief methods. your caregiver maybe able to help you here.
remember gravity, explore different methods of standing/sitting/crawling, if you have a basic idea what you like may to try this helps you to be assertive when going through it.do you know where baby is located,
anterior or posterior, if anterior babys spine is oposite yours,if posterior babys spine is closer to yours,

i feel excited for you, soon to be holding your precious little one. knowledge is power
|

i would also suggest doing some research on natural pain relief methods. your caregiver maybe able to help you here.
remember gravity, explore different methods of standing/sitting/crawling, if you have a basic idea what you like may to try this helps you to be assertive when going through it.do you know where baby is located,
anterior or posterior, if anterior babys spine is oposite yours,if posterior babys spine is closer to yours,

i feel excited for you, soon to be holding your precious little one. knowledge is power
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I didn't have an epidural for either of my children and i am not going to lie labor does hurt but for me the thing that helped the most was that I moaned through every contraction.....not yell or scream. I found that the moaning kinda put me in a hypnotic state. Also once the baby i born it is such an amazing high.....your pain is pretty much gone and you have this beautiful baby to show for all your hard work. It is sooooooo worth it.

For me the recovery wasn't bad. For my first I had stitches (3) but none for my second. And honestly the part that hurt the most was my body kinda felt like I had done this crazy work out. My muscles were sore....just from pushing because I was holding so tightly onto the bed.

I promise you it is crazy how fast you forget how painful it truly is......that is why women do it more than once Smile
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Does it hurt at all in between contractions? Two of my friends had generic Demoral and they basically slept in between contractions.
|

User Profile
Lilly Ivy wrote:
Does it hurt at all in between contractions? Two of my friends had generic Demoral and they basically slept in between contractions.

I had my son all natural and for my birth experience, it diddnt hurt at all between contractions. That was the time for me to rest for a min, breathe and get ready to push.
|

User Profile
Lilly Ivy wrote:

I had my son all natural and for my birth experience, it diddnt hurt at all between contractions. That was the time for me to rest for a min, breathe and get ready to push.
|

I had a vbac delivery 6wks ago, and i wont lie to you it was very very painful. At first the contractions are ok, but when in proper labour they are unbearable!!

My advise to anyone would be to have an epidural once i had that i couldnt feel the contractions, the head crowning is painful but its kinda a quick pain and soon over with.

I too worried right up until 8mths about it but as the due date became closer i just wanted it over with and i think you just cope i dont no how but you do.

I think you will be fine you are young and supple.

Good Luck
|

Extremely eHealthy
Are you still with the father? Make him come with you and pinch him during contractions. I did that with my fiance and laughing at his pain made mine better Laughing
|

replied January 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
A pain that you will forget, but a life you will live with forever.

Best of luck

Mom of three,
Carrie
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I had my son about 6 weeks ago, all natural without any pain relief. I'm not going to lie, the pain was bad once I got past 4cm. But my mind took me away. What helped get me through it was breathing slowly and my doctor also tried accupressure on me. I had back labor, so I didn't feel a thing in stomach. But this is what our bodies were made to do, you'll do fine. If you need pain relief, then get it. Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The pain of labour is not that bad and most ladies don't need any pain relief what so ever. But keep an open mind while you are in labour
|

replied February 26th, 2008
Experienced User
baby girl
My boyfriends friend has just had a baby girl she 16 very very very small you wouldnt imagine how small she is tiny framed aswell
gave birth this morning...........no complications at all she gt through fine

not even a stitch
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...