Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Tremors after drinking binge

User Profile
I just came off a five day drinking binge where i consumed about 20 to 30 drinks per day. I have not drank today and awoke with the worst hangover of my life. I am having tremors of the body, hands and face and am wondering how many hours this trembling will last. Ive been up for about 20 hours now. However, when i tense up my body i can feel the trembling more so, but if i relax they are almost completely gone.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2008
Addiction, Recovery Answer A3558
According to the duration of alcohol use and the symptoms you describe after you've stopped drinking, you are probably experiencing abstinence syndrome. Abstinence syndrome is one of the main characteristics of alcohol abuse and dependency. Tremors are due to nerve and pain damage and is very typical for alcohol abuse.

Treatment of alcohol dependency is a complicated matter and can be done only in specialized institutions for treating dependencies under the supervision of psychiatrists and mental health professional specialized in treating alcohol abuse. The most important thing is to stop drinking alcohol. You can also seek help from a 12-step recovery support group.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.