Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Nicotine Overdose? (Page 1)

I was always told that doing the patch and smoking at the same time (slip ups) was a BIG NO NO because it could cause one to have a heart attack. Not only have I been told this, I've also read about it on the internet on various health boards from people who have told stories about people they knew that this happened too, etc.

I called up Glaxo/Smith/Kline today to ask them some questions regarding the Nicotine gum, because I am getting ready to try ONCE AGAIN to quit smoking and I wanted to find out if it was OK to start the gum while I was still smoking (I've been told my numerous people that it's OK to do this...people who have done it themselves but I wanted to double check).

So anyways they told me that they didn't recommend it, only get nicotine from ONE source (NOT multiple sources). I then went on and asked them about what I knew about people having heart attacks from the patch while smoking...they insist they have NEVER heard this happening (I even know one guy who it happened too...a guy that my Aunt use to date many years ago). I told them about that and they were just amazed! Actually the nurse didn't seem to believe a word I was telling her but it's definitely a true statement.

So can anyone help me out here? I want to try quitting again but I need MAJOR help! I need more then one source of medication to help me quit. I wanted to do the patch and the gum (they said NO), I wanted to start with the gum while I was still smoking (they said NO), so I'm really upset and more frustrated then ever here on what the truth really is compared to what is not.

I don't understand how someone can "overdose" by chewing a piece of nicotine gum that has either 2 or 4MG of nicotine in it, when one cig contains 1MG of nicotine...especially for those people who are chain smokers (like I use to be) who would smoke one cig right after the next. I have easily put away 5-10 cigs in one hour before (that's 10MG of nicotine compared to 2 or 4MG's in a piece of gum)...yet I'm still standing! So what is the harm (overdose wise)? I just don't get it...

I understand the ultimate goal for NRT is to NOT smoke, while getting help from other aids. HOWEVER everyone is different...some people like to gradually stop smoking while they are trying a smoking aid, not everyone works the same. For instance it's OK to start Chantex while still smoking but the idea is to finally come to a point a few weeks after starting the drug, where you are not smoking any longer. Yet we can't do the same thing with the patch, the gum, the inhaler, etc?

Then TODAY, I was at the pharmacy talking with a pharmacist about smoking cessation products and she was VERY negative about all of them except for Chantex. I told her Chantex did NOTHING for me and she kinda like stuck her nose down like "whatever". She then said that the patch, gum, etc would not help me or anyone else, that by using those products you are simply replacing getting nicotine from cigs to getting them from the other sources and that it wouldn't help me or anyone else in the long run. She had me so upset that I wanted to just stand there and cry!

This is just SO FRUSTRATING!!!

Anyways, if anyone would like to comment, I would love to hear some feedback on this.

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Lupericus
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I am responding because I saw your post in general community chat.

Try hypnosis.
|

replied May 30th, 2013
I quit smoking using the electronic cigarette. I had quit once using the nicotrol inhaler but I found it to be nowhere near as effective as the ecigarette. That lus every refil cost about 200.00 plus a doctor's visit.

Read more: Stop Smoking Forum - Nicotine Overdose? http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic123078 .html#ixzz2Uo2DgJW5
Follow us: @ehealthforums on Twitter
|

replied January 15th, 2008
Why has my subject line been changed?
|

replied February 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
Nicotine is a poison. Drop for drop it is three times as deadly as arsenic about twice as deadly as strychnine and almost twice as deadly as the Diamond Back rattlesnake's poison.

It takes about 100mg of rattlesnake poison to kill a man. It takes about 60mg of nicotine to do the same.

I wouldn't reccomend smoking while using an NRT. While it probably won't kill you. Smoking one cigarette raises the heartbeat by about 20 beats more a minute. By using an NRT on top of that, you are only going to put more strain on your heart.

Personally, I agree with the pharmacist. NRT's are just another nicotine delivery system and trying to ween off them is only going to cause chronic withdrawal which will only make the person physically crave cigarettes for longer.

It is now coming to light that NRT's do not give people an advantage.

The funny thing is that I bet if this was 5 years ago. She would have been pushing those NRT's on you. Since now the newest wonder drug is out. Chantix. Pharmacists don't seem to push NRT's as much anymore.

I have seen people quit smoking using Chantix and I have seen many people go back to smoking once they sto pusing the drug.

People keep looking to drugs to help them stop doing something, BUT all those drugs have one major drawback. They don't change how the person see's smoking. As long as the person as the same misconceptions and the same beliefs in the cigarette. They are at risk to start smoking once they remove the drug.

Chantix has some risky side effects. I have seen people develop arthritis type symptoms. Have nose bleeds from it. Horrible stomach cramps and now the FDA has ordered Phizer to put a warning out that there is a risk of suicidal thoughts associated with the drug.

When it first came out. They said that it had 6 major side effects, but they actually have a full list of side effetcs and it is 165.

There was a famous musician who was using it and got drunk and went on this rampage. Most people focus on this story about the negative side effects of Chantix, BUT actually something more disturbing happened after that incident.

After the famous musician went on his anger rampage, people started to come forward about their own experiences and experiences of loved ones on this product.

Within a short time. About a week. 55 suicides linked to people taking Chantix were reported and many more people feeling overwhelming suicidal thoughts. Not to mention uncontrollable rage.

While this is a small amount compared to the amount of people taking Chantix. One person killing themselves is too much not to be acknowledged and also Chantix has only been out on the market for around 2 years. That is not very long compared to the decades and decades of people being able to quit smoking before Chantix.

Quitting can cause depression when quitting, BUT Suicidal thoughts and actually trying to kill yourself is NOT a quit smoking withdrawal symptom.

If it were, I can guarantee that the good ole spin doctors of Phizer would let us know that people commit suicide whether or not they are on Chantix.

And also to point out too, something that Phizer doesn't want to let people know. A lot of people were having suicidal thoughts and rage and depression while they were still smoking and on the drug.

How often have we heard of people killing themselves over quitting smoking? I personally never have. Most people just go back to smoking. Again, if there were a history of it, we would know from Phizer, because they will do what they need to do to take the focus off the negative effects of their drug.

And yes, some people that experience these negative side effects have had a history of mental illness, depression etc. Which brings me to another serious issue I have with Phizer.

In their clinical studies. People that had medical issues such as depression, heart disease, high blood pressure, mental illness, overweight etc. were omitted from participating in these studies. So when they put this drug out into the real world. All these people became guinea pigs for this "medication".

Yes, someone always has a bad side effect to medication. Penicillin almost killed me when I was kid, BUT people do need to know what this medication can do negatively to some people. No one should have to die to quit smoking.

Don't think that Phizer is on our side. They exist for one reason only....to make as much money as they can. Just look at Lipitor or whatever it is called. Now it is coming to light that it really doesn't do all the things that it was supposed to do and it made billions of dollars.

I also saw on MSNBC something that also made me think that the pharmecutical industry is just a greedy machine.

They had a segment on a experimental heart medicaiton that Phizer pulled, because it was killing too many people in their trials.

A spokesperson for Phizer said that the ywere very dissapointed that the medication had to be pulled. The reason? Not because it might help people. Not because it might save live, BUT ( and I quote) "it was projected to be the biggest selling medication ever from Phizer."

Personally, I believe that the pharmecutical industry instills fear into people to make them think that they cannot quit smoking at least not without their help.

If you want to quit smoking. Check out Allen Carr's book: The Easy Way to Quit Smoking.

Eric

I freed myself on 7/7/04
|

The patch is an excellent way of quitting.
It took me about 10 days to get used to not smoking to get my nicotine, and about 30 days to forget for an hour or so that I used to smoke.
I started out on Step 2 with Nicoderm CQ (14mg/day), used that for two weeks, and then went to 7mg Equate patches (Walmart brand).

If you smoked more than a pack of regular cigs (not lights or ultra-lights) per day, try starting out with the 21 mg patches. I tried those but they made me nauseous.

Weening yourself off of nicotine is going to be a hell of a lot easier than cold-turkey.
|

Experienced User
I quit cold turkey and it was not bad at all. I have tried to quit with other ways and it was hell.

The difference, I got educated. I actually started off this quit for the first two days using the patch and was climbing the walls. It wasn't until a read an article that talked about how a lot of the anxiety when we quit is mostly from ourselves creating it. and if we stop and really analyze the crave, we can see that it really isn't as bad as we build it up to be.

I stopped panicking and self analyzed myself and realized that a lot of the anxiety and panic I was feeling was just that. Me feeding it.

I took off the patch right then and there and I expected the next few days to be harder because of it. To my amazement. Not only were they not harder, they were better, because I was no longer feeding my withdrawal with my own built up anxieties.

However you want to quit is up to you, BUT I'm going to lay down some facts for you to consider.

By Quitting cold turkey. Almost all nicotine is out of your system within 72 hours. This is when withdrawal symptoms peak and start to decline. Within 10 to 14 days, all physical withdrawal usually ends, but it is really only the first few days when withdrawal is mor noticable. From then on, you will be dealing with what is known as association triggers. These are places, situations and events that will remind your subconscious that you smoked during these times. These might bring on urges to smoke, BUT it is important to realize that it is NOT from a physical need for nicotine.

By using an NRT, you're going to experience physical withdrawal for the duration of using the product. While the first few days might be eased with using the product. As long as you have nicotine in your system, BUT not your usual comfort level. You will experience physical craves for nicotine.

So if for instance you use the patch. You will be in withdrawal for roughly 10 weeks, on top of association the triggers that may cause the urge to smoke.

Also, don't believe the hype that NRT's double your chances of quitting smoking. This data comes from very flawed clinical trials and not real world scenarios. All you have to do is look around and see the real world results are no where near what is claimed. The pharmecutical industry makes billions of dollars a year on NRT's, BUT where are all these fantastic results? They are just not there.

Yes, you can quit using an NRT. Many people have,but I honestly don't think that it is easier to do so and the most important thing that you must do is change how you see smoking and no NRT or even cold turkey is going to do that for you. Get educated. Learn about nicotine addiction. Learn why you smoke besides the generic " I'm addicted to nicotine."

Look at my test results on how addicted I was supposed to be in my post "Don't believe experts at face value and you'll see that those results would have instilled fear into me trying to quit smoking and they were completely wrong.

The pharmecutical companies instill fear into people quitting smoking. This isn't a conspiracy theory. It is called advertizing. How do you get someone to use your product? By telling that your product is superior and that the other product is inferior. The pharmecutical companies tell people that they cannot quit without help. That they cannot quit cold turkey and they have something perfect to back up their claim. People's past failed quit attempts. When the reality is people have been quitting for years and years before quit smoking aids came on the market.

Fact: There are more ex smokers in the U.S. than smokers. So what does that tell you? That quitting smoking is not as hard as it is made out to be.

Here is a 2003 report.

In 2003, an estimated 21.6% (45.4 million) of U.S. adults were current smokers; of these, 81.0% (36.8 million) smoked every day, and 19.0% (8.6 million) smoked some days. Among those who currently smoked every day, 41.1% (15.1 million) reported they had stopped smoking for at least 1 day during the preceding 12 months because they were trying to quit. Among the estimated 43.4% (91.5 million) of persons who had ever smoked, 50.3% (45.9 million) were former smokers.

So in 2003 45.4 million people were smokers while 45.9 million people were ex smokers.

Don't believe the hype that the pharmecutical industry wants you to believe.

YOU CAN QUIT SMOKING!

Why am I so passionate about this topic? Because think if a person tries to quit smoking with an NRT and fail. What do you think is going to go through their minds? That quitting smoking is so hard for them, that they couldn't even do it with a quit smoking aid. They are going to feel hopeless and that is completely unfair.

How do I know this? Because I used to be one of those people. I have tried to quit with the patch, zyban, the gum, the louzenge and even herbal remedies. Each time was a failure and it made me feel like a failure and that I was never going to be able to quit smoking.

It wasn't until I got educated on nicotine addiction that I realized it was changing how I thought about smoking that was going to make me successful, because knowledge made me realize that I gave cigarettes way too much credit and that's what made quitting hard.

It's not quitting that's hard. It is quitting believing in the cigarette that can be hard. Remove that thinking and quitting smoking can be much easier to do.

And another fact that the pharmecutical industry doesn't want you to know.
According to the American Cancer Society 2003 report, which is their latest report. Roughly 90% of people that successfully quit smoking, quit cold turkey.

Australia did their latest report in 2006 and found roughly 88% of the people who successfully quit smoking did so cold turkey.

We are in a day in age when quitting cold turkey seems mystical and almost like an urban legend, because smokers believe that they cannot do it.

Anything is hard to do if you do not know how to do it. Anything is scary if you don't understand it.

Again, I reccomend reading Allen Carr's book and also google quit smoking cold turkey and you will find a site that will educate you on the myths and misconceptions people have about smoking, quitting and life after smoking.

Eric

I freed myself on 7/7/04
|

I tried cold-turkey; didn't work.

For me, the patch was the only way it was going to happen. And, since *anything* is better than actually smoking, the patch was a good way for me to do it.
|

replied June 30th, 2009
giving up
quit for 3 years using zyban - then pressure got to me - started smoking agin 6 months ago and now trying to quit with patches - delayed putting one on - then put the first one on in the morning for about 1 hour - had a massive row with some one and took it off - waited a couple of hours so i could smoke again - (dunno if couple of hours is enough...) - feel really wound up and know that the thought of having one would make me feel better, then imediatly worse....stuck between a pillar and a post - I think with any giving up technique - doc should suggest a pill that will calm you down - perhaps st johns wort or something... as smoking is 1 habitual, 2 smoke when stressed 3 smoke when bored i can break 1 and 3 but stuck on 2!!! but did it before and can do it again - i hope!!! -In the past put a patch on and smoked - felt really ill, i think it does defeat the object however you tend to do it once and try not to do it again. but people need to know how long if they put a patch one - if they do remove it - when is it safe to smoke or to have a puff?
|

replied August 17th, 2009
Get off the soapbox, Eric.

Allen Carr was a charlatan who profited from people's despair(and gullibility) over kicking the habit.
If you weren't so bent on portraying the pharmaceutical industry as "evil", you might have discovered that Allen Carr's success rate was quite abysmal.

In short, quitting smoking is a terribly difficult process for most. If worshiping ancient mayan Gods works for someone, then more power to them, and congrats! There is no "one size fits all" solution to nicotine addiction. Whatever works for you, go for it!
Patches work for some, gum for others, hypnosis for still others and even accupuncture and laser therapy on occasion. And yes, even a few people quit following Allen Carr's mumbo jumbo! By all means, try some or all of the various strategies. And never let some zealot like Eric dissuade you from exploring all available options! Good luck!

Randy
|

replied August 21st, 2009
I quit smoking using the electronic cigarette. I had quit once using the nicotrol inhaler but I found it to be nowhere near as effective as the ecigarette. That lus every refil cost about 200.00 plus a doctor's visit.

WHATEVER you do.. DO NOT use an NRT and continue smoking. It can cause a dangerous elevation in blood pressure. The only NRT proven safe to alternate with smoking if the inhaler and that is for a limited tim.
|

replied November 1st, 2009
You can overdose on nicotine so don't try the gum and the patch and still smoke. Please go see your doctor and get a professional opinion about how you should stop.
|

replied November 3rd, 2009
Charleston wrote:
You can overdose on nicotine so don't try the gum and the patch and still smoke. Please go see your doctor and get a professional opinion about how you should stop.

I totally agree with you.
|

replied February 17th, 2010
Look my doc told me it was okay to take a couple of puffs here and there while using the patch...not to go crazy about it or anything, but to help get rid of anxiety. Said that I would probably have a "break through" moment and I may have had it, but I'm not sure...

I took a quiz online about cravings and reduction of smoking. I scored 12 and 0-15 was little to no cravings, so the patch is/does work. I also heard that if you want to try to use the patch and you smoke more than a pack a day, you should cut down to a pack then start the patch.

Every person is different. This is my (at least) 5th attempt in less than a year. 1st attempt with a medication.
|

replied February 17th, 2010
Look my doc told me it was okay to take a couple of puffs here and there while using the patch...not to go crazy about it or anything, but to help get rid of anxiety. Said that I would probably have a "break through" moment and I may have had it, but I'm not sure...

I took a quiz online about cravings and reduction of smoking. I scored 12 and 0-15 was little to no cravings, so the patch is/does work. I also heard that if you want to try to use the patch and you smoke more than a pack a day, you should cut down to a pack then start the patch.

Every person is different. This is my (at least) 5th attempt in less than a year. 1st attempt with a medication.
|

replied March 19th, 2010
tryingtoquit
UCANQUIT. Thank you so much for posting and everyone else. This site is very helpful.

Man I wish I had never tried smoking in the first place. I am not sure what to do but I won't stop trying til i succeed.

I see both sides on this post. I have been on the patch for 12 days. I quit smoking for ten days with it and it definately helped take the edge off because I have tried quitting cold turkey and it can be done but it sucks after two years having quit cold turkey I went back to it. But last two days I have been cheating on quitting because of stress of finances (I know smoking costs too so this is ironic). It's always stress for me.

I overdosed on nicotine today and it was really scary but totally expected. Was stupidity and desperation on my part. It's all in my head and I really want to learn to control that. sad to say I think I have to stop taking the patch at this time because I have been smoking too and that's a stupid combination (not calling anyone stupid I just feel down on myself right now).

I'm going to try weaning myself off now I think and lose the patch cause it's not working for me.
|

replied April 1st, 2010
Without trying alternatives to quit smoking, you must make up your mind and should quit smoking because if you find the alternatives, it will be difficult for you to get away from that habit.
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2010
quit smoking
GO BUY AN E-CIG STARTER KIT! You get the oral fixation and nicotine without the 4000+ other chemicals!
|

replied July 4th, 2010
Potential Heart Attack Smoking While On Patch.
I know my response will probably not be read since the original post is so old, but let me tell you my story. Tried to quit cold turkey and I became so irritable my husband bought me a pack and threw it at me. Recently tried the e-cigarette and it was not a suitable replacement for me... AND I felt like I was drowning when inhaling deeply. I started the patches a bit over 3 weeks ago and went for 4+ days as a non-smoker. Stress made me buy a pack... just for one cigarette... right. I then, continued smoking, but much less, having designated only one place I will smoke. I figured since I was smoking 60+ mg a day before (3 packs at 1.1 mg each cigarette) and the patch was only 21 mg, I'd be okay... until last night. I couldn't sleep laying down last night. Chest pains woke me up and my arms hurt badly as well. Thought about going to the ER but I could manage the pain sleeping in my chair. I am going to quit the patch for a little while and keep to my smoking only in one place ritual for a while. Once I do a pack or less for a month, I'll try the patch again. I'm going to talk to my doctor about what happened and am hoping it wasn't a mild heart attack cause big ones can come after a mild one. I've been smoking for 37 years so this is very hard.
|

replied July 10th, 2010
Alabama Smoker - I hope you have been to your doctor for a full cardiac work-up...heart attacks in women are horribly underdiagnosed.

And for everyone else on this board, regardless of the method that is used (cold turkey, NRT, drug therapy, hypnosis), the #1 indicator, HANDS DOWN, of whether a quit attempt will be successful, is how strongly the subject actually wants to quit smoking.

Food for thought.
|

replied August 8th, 2010
there is a such thing as a nicotine overdose, I don't think smoking while you are on the patch could cause it but it is possible if you smoke a lot or wore more than one patch.

you can definitely die from a nicotine overdose--nicotine is also a pesticide and in many pesticides so that is why you keep them locked in case children get ahold of them.

Saw an episode of CSI or one of those crime shows the other day where a woman killed a guy with a nicotine overdose and they were thinking another woman did it with several patches but what the woman actually did was put some pesticide that was 50% nicotine in a condom and well nevermind.

But I am not basing this entirely on the show...I learned it at school...

|