Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Mental illness hereditary ?

User Profile
Hi,I'm new here and I have been dealing with some issues for the past two years. I'm 14 and nothing traumatic has happened in these past years. I've been diagnosed with bipolar, ODD, and deppresion since last year. But lately people have been extra worried about me. I really dont see anything wrong with me. I've been doing these things since I was a 5 but no one said anything then. Well, anyways, I've been talking in a British accent everywhere I go (just for the fun of it), people have been telling me that I dont make sense when I talk and I've been singing to the top of my lungs to every song I can think of (I really dont know why). I've suddenly started to hate my brother and be very self-centered. My child doctor thought it was just me beng smart and creative because I had a very hgh I.Q. So they just put me in gifted classes but I still think its something other than that, I become very obsessive with things.I've stopped cutting my hair and I go on eating binges and the binges last for weeks where I eat too much or where I dont eat enough. I've been very manipulative and I havent been going to school all year. I'm very touchy on too many subjects and I hate talking about things unless I'm going to be the only one talking. I wake up in the evenings and stay up till 7:00 in the morning. I act like i'm a different person usually because I'm bored and when I'm bored I think of crazy things, I curse a lot for no reason and my head has been really swimmng lately. I take remron, abilify, and paxil but they just make me go to sleep. It seems that this has all happened at once. I'm really critical and talk about people in front of there face or behind theyre back. What is it ? Could it be hereditary since my younger sister is bipolar, has depression, ODD, and ADD and my father is a recovering alcoholic ? I really dont know whats going on. If you coud help I would really appreciate it. Ive also had 5 surgeries on my head in 3 years for headaches could that also be it ?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2008
Mental Conditions Answer A3557
Bipolar disorder, depression, OCD and ADD are serious mental disorders which require expert diagnostics and therapy by a mental health doctor. These conditions ARE hereditary (genetically) conditioned.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.