Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

dizziness and fatigue after mono (Page 1)

I was dignosed with Mono at age 46 (by two different doctors) last October, around the 15th. I had it for about 4-6 weeks and then was tired all the time. I think I got depression becasue I as so bummed out about losing my ability to work and do the things I always loved to do. I took a depression course and got a lot better for about 2 weeks, feeling my strength and energy come back. This week (January 7th), I started to feel dizzy again and some days it was all day. I still have it. I have to lay down and I feel like sleeping all the time. I also have mild to moderate haedaches with it. The weird thing is I never had all the symptoms people talk about with Mono. I only had severe fatique, tiredness and dizziness for many weeks. Emotionally, I am wore out.

Has anyone else had this at an older age and if so, what were the symptoms like? Were they full-blown or limited in nature? Did you have a lot of dizziness for a while?

I am really trying to get better. I eat right, drinks lots of fluids and take vitamins. I also try to exercise but that stopped a week ago when I started getting dizzy again. I have had ENT tests and full blood tests and a couple other things and they always come back negative.

Would love to hear from anyone on this. It's so hard waiting to get better.

Thomas
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tfallis
|

replied February 29th, 2008
mono with dizziness and fatigue
Hi Thomas,
My story is very similar to yours. I was diagnosed with mono end of december (although started feeling bad in october) I had all the usual symptoms (sore throat, swollen glands, nauseous, achey, tired, headaches, face pain) I stared feeling better beginning of february and started to go about my business. I had all my energy back but had dizziness. I guess I did too much because a couple weeks ago I started feeling run down again and the dizziness is even worse. It is not so much a vertigo spinning feeling but a constant imbalance like my equilibrium is way off. I went to the ENT and he said my ears were fine. I called my regular physician and he said a relapse of mono is common but didn't have anything to say about the dizziness. So I am waiting for this to run its course hopefully. If this doesn't go away by the end of March i am going back for some more tests. I am 37 and from what i understand the symptoms of mono are worse the older you are. I have read the mono virus can attack the vestibular nerves in your inner ear that is responsible for balance, and it is supposed to go heal on its own. I am hoping it is just that, and not something else serious. Let me know how you are feeling now.
Thanks,
carmen
|

replied July 21st, 2012
reoccurring mono flare ups
I got mono at 18...since then ive had auto immune problems and other unexplained stuff..however I was diagnosed with chronic epstein barr infection,which is basically mono all over agin..I get 1-2 mono flare ups a year and they are horrible
|

replied March 16th, 2008
dizziness
Hi Thomas,
I replied to your post 2-29, don't know if you saw it or not. I was wondering if your dizziness had gone away yet. I am in my 3rd month with mono, i generally feel ok except some fatigue and the dizziness/imbalance i still have. also my right ear hums very loudly and at times has pain. (i have been checked for ear infection already) Let me know on your progress.
Thanks,
carmen
|

replied June 10th, 2008
Dizziness, Disequilibrium, Tingling
Hello,
I started having symptoms in early april of 08. A lot of woozniess + an intense disequilibrium, etc. I never really displayed the common symptoms of mono which is like fever + sore throat. It took many rounds of blood tests to find out that i have an acute mono infection.

Since then I still have the ebb + flow of this wooziness, sometimes I get a full body tingling feeling. I had really bad allergies in May, and everytime i had a bad attack I would get a kick up of these systoms and swollen lymph nodes.

I'm 31 btw. Very weird as I'm in my 9 week or so, and still have these dizzy, woozy feelings.

Michael
|

replied August 14th, 2008
Dizziness
I have had all the symptoms everybody is writing about. I originally was diagnosed with mono back in Feb. 08 and then go better at the end of March. I then relapsed in May 08. Sense then I have has swollen lymph nodes, tingling and dizziness along with a sensation of not getting a full breath. I have a 2 or 3 blood test and they all come back negative all within the range but show prior mono. It's been roughly 3 months now, but it seems it is getting better with time. My doctor says this is all mono related. I'm 37 and it's been 12 weeks with my relapse.
|

replied August 14th, 2008
Diagnosed with mono in may
hello. i am 43 and was diagnosed in may with mono. had been feeling really tired for a long time before then, so it's hard to tell how long i've actually had it, but my malaise (three months later) is the same. have lots of dizzy spells, migraines, nausea, feverish feeling now and then, and incredibly sore lymph glands in my groin. scared it could be something worse. ENT saw nothing unusual in throat lymph. maybe i've had a relapse? i could easily sleep ten or twelve hours a day. i only got to take one week off from work after the diagnosis. any ideas on the super sore lymph? it's like a throbbing pain. doctor thinks it could be another infection, but i've heard mono is a precursor to lymphoma.
|

replied September 14th, 2008
Dizzy, nauseous, tingling
Hi,

My symptoms started in May of 08. I have dizzy spells, headaches, tingling, neck pain, nausea and I am tired all the time. Felt like I was hit by a truck. I also have swollen lymph nodes including one that is pressing on nerves (causing the tingling sensation). I've been tested for almost everything under the sun but no one has tested me for mono because I did not have a fever. I didn't know you could have mono without having a fever. Maybe I should insist on a mono test.
|

replied September 20th, 2008
Mono Symptoms
I have had the nasue and dizzenes (vetigo?) along with the sore throat/swollen glands but no fever. I have been to 3 doctors, the last a infectious disease doc who confirmed (and explained) my IGG/IGM and he was the only one that definitively diagnosed Infectious Mono (from EBV). Some other symptoms were masked by a diseased gallbladder (out on Aug. 15 0Cool and am feeling better. I have been off since the surgery and am going back to work next week. After the posts here and other research I belive you should remain active as possible, eat a well balanced diet, exercise as much as possible but do not over tax yourslef. I also have some vision issues, light sensative and slightly blurry vision, anyone else have this? Good luck to you all, I know this sucks. (46 yr. old MWM)
|

replied December 24th, 2012
So TIRED I can't keep my eyes open
I'm 46 and my 9 yr old was diagnosed with Mono 2 weeks ago. Since then I have felt as exhausted as I was when I had chemo for breast cancer 7 yeaars ago (survivor)! However, the exhaustion has been accompanied by nausea (but no vomitting) and a sore throat and coughing, but not a dry cough. At one point I had the all over tingling one night and have had neck pain, as well. I haven't been diagnosed but think I'll go get the test this week to rule out any other defiency seeing as how I have had cancer before. If mono makes you this tired, I feel for my little one. The tiredness is as bad as it was for me during my chemo or during pregnancy...I can't believe it. Anyone else that tired?
|

replied December 24th, 2012
So TIRED I can't keep my eyes open
I'm 46 and my 9 yr old was diagnosed with Mono 2 weeks ago. Since then I have felt as exhausted as I was when I had chemo for breast cancer 7 yeaars ago (survivor)! However, the exhaustion has been accompanied by nausea (but no vomitting) and a sore throat and coughing, but not a dry cough. At one point I had the all over tingling one night and have had neck pain, as well. I haven't been diagnosed but think I'll go get the test this week to rule out any other defiency seeing as how I have had cancer before. If mono makes you this tired, I feel for my little one. The tiredness is as bad as it was for me during my chemo or during pregnancy...I can't believe it. Anyone else that tired?
|

replied September 26th, 2008
Shortness of Breath
I have been experiencing some shortness of breath and tenderness in my abdomin. My doctor says it's my lymph nodes in my upper abdomin. I am still battling some fatigue and headaches but it seems to be getting better. I just did some more blood work and my CBC was all normal within range. Before my CBC was positive for mono and a slightly high WBC. Has anybody else experienced shortness of breath with a tender abdomin? Going on 4 and half months now with my relapse of mono. Thanks
|

replied September 27th, 2008
i have mono and ive had shortness of breath problems, like it feels someones pushing on your chest. it happened spontaneously. i was sitting there and i felt like i was choking. then since then i havent been able to breath. i did have a tender abdomin as well for about...a week maybe two. i had shooting pains in my abdomin as well. on the left under my rib cage as well as the right, and it wrapped over my back. this whole time iwas unaware that i DID have a fever. i never checked my fever before i was sick, so i didnt know my normal temperature. all through out my feeling bad, id check my temp and it was always 98.4-99.0. little did i realize my temperature normaly runs low; 97.4. and a fever being 99 is "mild" BUT my doctor says it doesnt matter, a fever is a fever, you should still be causious. i had vision issues too, blurrynes in my right eye, i had to constantly blink to make me see normally and my colors were off, everything had a green undertone, and everything in my left had a blu undertone. this went away after about 2 weeks. haha ive had pretty much everything just not vertigo, thank god. now after 2 months of constant mono, i have horrible headaches (it feels like someone is trying to knife out my vein in my head, litterally it disgustingly painful) and stiff neck, along with pressure in the back of my head. been having it for about....almost a week now. im assuming its viral menangitis because 1)i never got a shot for it and 2)it can happen to people who have mono. i can tell its not SERIOUS because i can move my neck fine, it just hurts once i try to put my head up or down. anyone have this problem? im sorry people! mono sucks so much. anyone here younger than 37? Razz cause im only 19. ehhhh this sucks doesnt it? anyway, i take multivitamins as well as b-complex to help my energy problem. i take adrenal fatigue pills too because having mono on my period is.....unexplaiably horrible, 2X the tired and blah feeling so that adrenal pill helps with that, in case any of you are girls. anyways, hope you guys get better, bye
|

replied October 3rd, 2012
MONO GOING ON 6 MONTHS!
I have these exact symptoms. Its been going on for over 5 months now. I have good and bad days, and it seems as if each day something different is bothering me. I have had CT scans on Head and Abdomen. Every doctor tells me it is just a severe case of mono. Im 19 years old. It feels like I am in a dream sometimes, and like I'm loosing control. I don't even want to drive anymore. Im on my fifth month and now I have headaches, muscle tingling, STIFF neck, and shortness of breath. Im still too weak to do anything like I used to. I have been tested for everything, extensive blood tests..I can't believe its still MONO!
|

replied February 3rd, 2009
Dizziness & fatigue with mono
I am also a 46 year old male that was in excellent physical condition that NEVER gets sick. Last week after being rushed to the emergency room I was told I have mono. I have no fever, no sore throat, very mild abdominal pain, mild fatigue and a very nagging dry cough. But I do have significant dizziness which comes on suddenly and is very frightening. At times I feel like I will faint. I'm a coffee drinker and I "think" the caffeine makes the dizziness worse.
|

replied March 27th, 2009
jwilshire
Hi - I myself am 47 and have had mono for the past 6 weeks. It's absolutely ridiculous since I already had a full blown case when I was 17 and the doctors say you can't get it twice. Right?!! Anyway, I was also in the best shape I had ever been in and also never got sick, not even colds. Now here I am on some wild rollercoaster ride that I can't seem to get off of. Just when you think your having a good day, you get blasted by this wave of something that could last for a second or an hour but it definitely can knock me right off of my feet and then just this incredible weak feeling takes over and your good day just went back to crap. Compared to how sick I was at the beginning I've come a long way, BUT this dizzy stuff and weakness that overcomes me makes it impossible to live a normal life. Alot of times just concentrating on something exhausts me which is not a good thing. Well, that's all the whining I'll do for now, but it sure is nice to know there's others just like me out there and I'm not losing my mind. Belldhw
|

replied June 15th, 2009
I am in my mid 30's and am having all the same symptoms as all the posts. I has been going on for almost 6 weeks now and if I do too much I pay for the next 48 hours. I am starting to wonder if this will ever go away.
|

replied June 15th, 2009
I'm 44 and have CMV mono for the last 6 weeks. Mono can be caused by EBV or CMV viruses. I had EBV mono in my teens and now CMV. Otherwise I am very healthy. I started feeling better about 3 weeks ago and tried to resume my normal activities. Big mistake! I had a big time relapse but am starting to feel better now, but still easily fatigued. Other symptoms are weakness, brain fog, dizziness, elevated heart rate, general crappy feeling. Frustrating as it is, it just takes a long time to get better so just hang in there and try to stay positive.
|

replied July 12th, 2012
Mono 40
MONO 321, I'm dealing with the exact same scenerio as you. I am 40 now and had EBV mono in my teens, but recently was diagnosed with CMV, what a hassle! I'll tell you that I definately was not this put out as a teen. Extremely healthy but I've had every main symptom plus all other symptoms and am now coming out of it, but experiencing the brain fog, periodic dizziness, a little nausea and vision is screwy. I also got Bells Palsey from the mono, so was given prednisone for that, which really took care of a lot of the aches and sore lymphnodes as well. This virus is no joke, I have two kids under 5 yrs and I couldn't even pick them up, and prior to was swinging both of them around with one arm. My advise to everyone is to try to keep a good attitude, keep bothering your physicians and get rest when you can.
|

replied July 9th, 2009
Transaminase
hello, In blood tests did anyone have the "transaminases SGPT" level as high as 203 ? and what does that mean?
|

replied July 10th, 2009
Have u all tried homeopathic treatment? My wife found out 2 months ago and same thing it took conventional doctors some time to figure it out, it was actually my wife that suggested she do the glandular fever blood test... they said since its a virus they can't do much... but she's now doing a homeopapthic treatment to boost her immune system and fight the virus... she still gets tired but she must learn to take care of herself better... when she gets slightly better she immediately does too much and gets tired again... also consider reading the book You can Heal your Life by Louise Hay.
|

replied July 11th, 2009
dizziness and fatigue following EBV
I'm 40 and was diagnosed with EBV mono back in 2006. I was wiped out with nausea, fatigue, and back pain for months. At about 3 months following my diagnosis I was perking up and found out that I was pregnant. The pregnancy went well. Both our baby and I were healthy....so now 3 years later I feel like I have a full blown case again. The dizziness and fatigue are taking me down hard. I appreciate the info and suggestions here. Likely I will start with the chiropractor.
|

replied July 15th, 2009
I posted above on 6/15. Still tired most of the time but no longer feeling weak/sickly. Last week I started taking 4 Tbsp of virgin coconut oil per day. Also large vitamin C doses, alphalfa and omega fish oil. Definitely noticed improvement, although I think the coconut oil causes increased heart rate and blood pressure for me, so I'm discontinuing that for now. There are many testomonies in favor a virgin coconut oil on the web as a cure for mono due to its anti-viral properties. I believe it has helped me.
|

replied August 1st, 2009
Mono Relapse
Month 5 of mono at age 30!! I was diagnosed in March with Mono and had finally started to feel a bit better a month or so ago then went overboard with activities and work and now I am suffering again with hearing loss from an inner ear infection, abdomen pains, nausea and migraines. I have been using multivitamins and supplements to increase my immune system but unless you really take it easy the first six months you are only hindering your recovery. My advise is keep in touch with your family doctor she has been my biggest support and has reassured me that this is simply the virus. Don't see too many different doctors at different clinics, particularly if they don't have your file. It's important the doctor you are seeing knows your history. I was very healthy and exercized 4 times a week before getting sick, but I burnt the candles at both ends and I am learning to take it easy.
|

replied October 5th, 2009
Just past the 5 month mark of CMV mono. I'm 45 and (was) otherwise healthy. I was feeling almost normal for 5 straight days and then caught a cold 2 weeks ago, which set me back a bit. I'm done with the cold now but still have periods of fatigue holding me back from doing all of my normal activties. My Naturapathic Dr has suggested an array of supplements to take, which I'm doing now. I've heard from many that this is a 6 month deal. Just hoping that's accurate!
|
Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...