Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

don't eat wide variety of foods

My problem is that i don't eat a variety of foods. When i was little i got sick, about age 2. Ever since then i have not eaten a very wide variety of food (I can count the amount of meals i like on my 2 hands). I have tried to overcome this problem, but i am very sensitive to texture, and some of the times taste. I often find myself not joining social events, and I even get made fun of and laughed at in nice restaurants when i order something simple.Can you help me with this? is there someone i can see or something i can do to fix this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
well, at least you can try to vary the way you cook those foods and use some new ingredients there (like herbs, etc.). Smile
|

replied January 14th, 2008
Hmmm
ya except i dont really eat a lot of food that gets cooked lol...for instance, top ramen, noodles with butter, garlic bread...and i think thats about it with maybe just a few more. I think the most complex (as far as number of ingredients) thing i eat is salsa, and i have just barely discovered that...i wont eat the chunks still.
|

replied March 24th, 2009
kyosk
Hi kyosk
I have exactly the same problem as you and finally getting to the point where i have had enough i want help and to do aomething about it.
I can count the amount of meals i will eat on one hand also. there is a couple of main reasons why i am finally looking at getting over this, firstly because i feel unhealthy. second because i have a 4yr old and a nearly 2yr old who i do not want to end up like me and im setting them up to be the same. Next because i live in a smaller town where the restaurant selection is small and i cant go out for dinner because i dont eat whats on the menu or i have to say 'can i get this without this this this or this please'
im tired and over it!

ive searched the net for the last hour and it has lead me to your help question.
the only thing i can think of doing at this stage is explaining to my doctor the problem and seeing whether or not they suggest seeing a pychologist or even hypnosis (which both are going to be really dam expensive)

all i know is that im not going to live abother 50 years with the same problem.

goodluck with it all
|
Users who thank cbear87 for this post: 22beach116 

replied March 25th, 2009
Hello
Yeah i dint have time to have my food properly and i have junk foods than having cooked foods,,,,

|

replied April 2nd, 2009
wow
I was actually beginning to believe i would never find somebody out there with my same problem, its apparently a rare problem that people just dont understand. the only thing i ever hear is "just try new things" when its not that easy. I have the fear that someday when i have kids they will follow my traits also. i tried hypnotherapy once but the lady had terrible methods, and the only other hypnotherapist in town just told me to try new things which really made me angry. if you find anything else that might help let me know and i'll do the same for you. It really is an inconvenience when i miss out on social events because of this problem...hope we can help each other out, i dont feel like living the rest of my life like this either lol
|

replied April 7th, 2009
not alone
me too to everything! How wonderful not to be alone. Somewhere in my childhood I decided limiting my diet was a good attnetion-getter and it stuck. Now my diet is very limited and I can't even sit down to dinner with my little kids for fear of questions. I simply have to find a way through this. Has anyone had success? Is online, downloadable therapy worth it? I went to a therapist and was told to "just try a little bit of new food". What a joke. Does anyone have any more suggestions?
|

replied April 8th, 2009
Hey I'm 15 and have the same problem if not worse I only like bread and butter, cheese, one type of pot noodle, bacon, sasauge and junk food. I also have a family that doesnt realise what im going through as they just tell me to try this and that but dont understand its not as easy for me as it is them. I would love to try methods to help me stop as the only thing i eat when our family goes to a resturant is bread.
|

replied April 8th, 2009
duggsie
well first of all you are certainly not alone. I spent hours and hours with my parents bargaining, coaxing, pleading with me to try even a little something new. It just didn't work well. Your diet is pretty close to mine. The only life-saver I got into in the last few years was pepperoni pizza but only without sauce (which is a bit embarassing to order sometimes).

I think you being here is a great step towards beating this problem. I just joined here yesterday and already I'm glad I'm not alone.
|

replied April 10th, 2009
i cant believe that therapist would just say to try little bits of new foods...
if you could, you wouldnt needed therapy in the first place!! they really arnt that smart are they!
ive just found the number of a hypnotherapist who comes to my town so when i can afford it i will ring him and try that option first. i think that it will be a great idea becuase i think if i can change the way my innerself and subconscience think then it will work from there. and thats what hypnotherapy is about.
kyosk.. i would try another hypno before giving up on that idea. as a pychology student (lol, i should be able to fix my own issues shouldnt i?) i believe hypno, with the right person, will work.
fingers crossed anyway.
Regards
claire
|

replied July 7th, 2009
wow this is amazing. i always thought i was the pickyst person on earth and no one else could possibley be as picky as me. the same thing happened to me 2 when i was 6. just 1 day i hated everything i used to love like carrots and grapes.. all nasty now. there r basicly only 6 meals i eat. kraft original mac and cheese. pb&j. spegetti.ramen noddles. a hotdog and fries. and pizza. all of which have to be made my own certain picky way. like with pizza i take off ALL the toppings. i basicly eat a sauce pizza. then of corse anything else i lik is junkfood. i dont like soda or anything. all i basicly drink is water. i hate going out to dinner with my family and only eating bread or ordering off the dessert menu like choclate cake. i am to also very sensative to texture. i take of the crust on bread soely because the texture is different. i am sick and tired of people saying you dont know what ur missing out on.. and come on just tryit. because nomatter how much i try anything. its still nasty as hell and i will never like it.. i would lik to eaat more foods but i just cant and people just cant get that.
|

replied July 10th, 2009
I'm actually researching this for family...I have a younger brother who also only eats PB&J and pizza. When he was a baby he had sensory, texture and reflux problems, which caused him to gag every time he ate. He no longer has reflux, but still doesn't want to try new foods. I didn't realize there were other people out there with the same problems. My family like yours has tried to get him to try new foods many different ways and has never succeeded. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think hynotherapy works? Has it been successful for anyone? Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated!!
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2009
Experienced User
I have been the same way my WHOLE life!!

I would eat pizza, but without the sause.

I would eat noodles plain..no butter, no sauce, no seasonings.

I would eat peanut butter sandwiches but NO jelly.

I never and still don't eat ketup, mustard, or mayo.

I never ate salad dressings or other types of sauces.

Just in the past few years (I'm almost 28 ) I've started eating different things and have found that I like them.

Some things I don't like but they aren't awful either.

Things that I can tolorate I try to keep eating them so that I can get use to them. It seems to work and I eventually like them just fine.

I now east pizza sause and some salad dressings. I no longer eat my noodles plain.

I don't eat a whole lot of new things but I'm working on it.

It's def. a mental thing, for me at least. I have to just stop thinking about it and try it. That's easier for me to say than actually do.

I try something new maybe once every few months.

I can say in the past few years of trying new things I have gained weight which I'm not happy about but currently working on.
|

replied October 25th, 2009
My daughter is right on par with what you all describe. She likes about 8 meals and that's it. All pretty carb and cheese based and sometimes chicken or pork. Carrots and corn are the only veggies she'll eat. Its really worrisome and difficult. We are trying to understand and realize she isn't doing it on purpose. The post from justforfun is encouraging though - the idea that working on those foods at the edge and trying to get over them a bit might be helpful. But its very frustrating and its hard not to push her, but I suspect that that won't help.
|

replied March 29th, 2010
I know what you're going through. It has been affecting me most of my life, since I was about 7 and has been affecting my health. I was always classified as a "picky eater" and I didn't figure out what was really going on until I found out it was a food phobia around the age of 15/16 after seeing a another doctor. I am now 24. For me it has a lot to do with the texture and sometimes the smell. I won't eat jams or jelly, certain kinds of meat, veggies, fruits.. ect. I could probably give you a big list of things I won't eat.

My family would always try to force me to try news foods, eat all of my dinner and if I didn't I would get a treat later kind of thing, but that didn't work too well, I was stubborn and not willing.

One of my docotors recommened that I help cook the dinner at night, which has helped lately. Also he said to think about something else other than the food itself while trying it. Anyways, I cooked up some hamburger for a dinner one night but I didn't try.. eventually we had lasagna (with hambuger in it) another night, so I decided to try it. I took a bite and had a small panic attack because of the onions in it, but I was surprised the hamburger didn't brother me as much as it had before. I let myself clam down after that and then I started taking one bite after another slowly, keeping myself distracted so I wouldn't think about. I ended up eating just about the whole thing.

A few other things that seems to help me is I just take a tiny bit of the food I want a try... like a nibble, making a list of foods I would like to try, and being alone while I try the foods. I know that last part might sound odd, but I felt like I didn't have as much pressure on me to try it when I was alone.

Once you make that choice that you want to get over it, it is still hard, but not as hard as before.
|

replied July 26th, 2010
thank god im not the only person with this problem..
its kind of reassuring that im not alone.. im completly the same as most of you.. INCREDIBLY fussy as in my menu goes. ( not including snacks such as crisps, chocolate)
chips , burger, hot dog, crumpets, chicken and mushroom pasta and sauce with all of the funny bits taken out of it..
i hate the way i eat because i cant go out and have a meal, which i would love to do.
but i cant change it.. no matter how much i try... i went to the doctors before to ask him for help cus it got to a point where i didnt eat anything because i was so fed up of the food that i did like.. and he simply said 'every teenager is like this' but no they arent... all of my friends eat most foods.. so why cant i ?! im like most of you too in they way that if it smells or feels funny i dont like it.. crusts and bacon for example.. i think that this problem is just holding me back as a person as well as i dont have much energy and so im lazy and cant be bothered to do things. when i was at school i was always so tired and exhausted that i spent most of my time at home in bed but NOONE understood how i felt, the school just thought i wasnt going in because i didnt want to.. so had many letters and meetings threatening to fine my parents, but it wasnt their fault. to be honest, i have run out of ideas of how to overcome this as my doctor even refuses to help or give any advice Sad
|

replied August 1st, 2010
Experienced User
Hey you guys!

I used to baby-sit a boy who has this exact same problem. He would only eat one kind of fish (fried), fried chicken, fried bacon, and all of this with steamed rice. That was it. Nothing else.

His mom took him to see a therapist and it turns out he had 2 anxiety disorders. General Anxiety Disorder and OCD. Anyway... they have been working with him for a while (he first went to the therapist when he was 7 and he is 11 turning 12 now)

They got his medication right, and he's slowly started trying new foods. But the trick with him was to mix something he REALLY liked with something new, but very simple.

So, for example. He like fried bacon. One day, his mom got him to try fried bacon with just a tiny bit of scrambled egg. Of course the bacon was mixed into the egg so he still had the flavor that he liked and was familiar with.

It worked. He eats egg now. They continued on this way, and I think he now eats 15 different types of food. he's still not adventurous (as it always takes him a while to be convinced to try something and it always has to be paired with something he likes) but at least 15 types of food is better than his initial 3 combinations!!

So maybe you can try mixing something you really like with something new but simple and slowly build from there?
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....