Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

like Cholinergic Urticaria but hives in winter too

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this and has any advice. I have read a lot about CU and have similar symptoms but not quite. From what I read, people mostly get itchy and hives from being hot or sweaty. I experience insane itch when I am active in the winter time, say if the temperature is below 60 degrees and I'm walking vigorously or hiking outside. I will also itch if my skin is cold and I begin to exercise inside. Even once I warm up, I still itch. Unlike sufferers of CU, I don't typically sweat when this happens. I'm usually not exercising that much to sweat, so I'm not sure what this condition is.

For some background, I do recall feeling itchy during walks on chilly days during my childhood. And there were many summers when I would get heat rashes. And there was one summer in my early 20s (I'm 32 now) when I would fitness walk for a couple of hours and find my back covered in hives (and sweaty). That only lasted for the summer however.

So, any ideas? I haven't tried to treat this since I just started researching it. I didn't even realize it was a common problem. I've just avoided outdoor exercise in the winter, figuring it wasn't in the cards for me.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 14th, 2008
I find that when I do anything physical I have the same feeling mainly on my back. It's just like you described, a thousand mosquitos or a nettle rash feeling all over my back. I have also found that the same thing happens if I take a hot shower, although not ever time but it is very uncomfortable. At first I though it was the washing powder or detergents that my be causing this, but I ruled it out after drying of naturally and not using detergent when showering.

However my problem has now become worse. I had no rash or visible skin issues to start with, but now I have a cluster of small red rashes on my back, which has spread to my arms. There is a possibility that it is not related to the itchy feeling I get when exercising but it’s very uncomfortable. Having checked a few things on the net, there is nothing for it other than antihistamines.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....