Hi everyone, i just joined this forum as it seems perfect for my question.

My girlfriend had the weirdest thing happen to her today, it's never happened before, and started very soon after she woke up. I'll just paste the description what she wrote to me in an email...

"When i came downstairs and i noticed it, the only way i can describe the position of it was like you know when youve been looking at a bright light say, and you can see that imprint wherever you look for a while?
well, it was like this, only this blob was moving. as in not moving around all over my vision, it was stuck in one place but it was rippling like water but it was flickering multicolours.
Then it started getting bigger. When i was talking to my mom and i was looking at her eye, i couldnt see her nose, and as it got bigger i could see her eye still but not the rest of her face. Then eventually the whole of my right side of my vision was going crazy.
I couldnt see anyhting, it was ALL moving like the only way i can describe is like rippling water, but it wasnt like i could see whatever through the water it was all multicoloured.
You know like how if your doing something but you can see the TV flickering in the corner of your eye, and not the colors on the TV screen but the colors of the blue, green, and red that make up the TV colors ? like that
But it was also rippling aswell as flickering. When i actually got to the hospital it had totally gone, my vision was perfect again."

...Does anybody have a idea what this could be?? She did have a slight headache afterwards. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Beanyness
|
Users who thank Beanyness for this post: DCoppola 

replied April 6th, 2008
The same thing happened to me today
I experienced this exact thing today. I also found another person who described the same thing on another site. Her description was: "This morning about 30 min after exercising I experienced a small blurry spot in my right eye that
over the next several minutes became a more defined c-shape. It
looked like rippling water and lasted for 10-15 minutes and then
went away." (http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ophthalmology- Optometry-979/Temproary-Distorted-Vision.h tm) My experience was remarkably like yours: right eye; started with a blind spot such as when you've looked into a bright light; rippling water effect; was followed by a slight headache. This person on the other website also had no replies. Did you ever find out what it was?????
|

replied May 29th, 2017
This just happened to me a few minutes ago. I looked up ocular migraine and it seems to fit perfectly...
|

replied April 6th, 2008
Hey, my sister just figured out what it was....
|

replied February 27th, 2013
Thank you for posting this. This happened to me this morning and I went to see my doctor as I've been having dizzy spells as well, but this was something new. Your links were very helpful and this described exactly what happened. Now I have an answer.
|

replied May 29th, 2017
Tanks so much for this post. I checked out the link and this is exactly what just happened to me.
|

replied April 13th, 2009
Ripples
I am getting the same thing too but in both eyes. I haven't had an attack (i'll call it) for a long long time but I am extremely stressed and in the midst of moving. They have been on and off since Apr 2, I think it might be time to go to the doctor?
|

replied July 3rd, 2015
Extremely eHealthy
You definitely need to see the eye Dr.
|

replied April 13th, 2009
Don't worry....
...too much about it. You can mention to your doctor the next time you see him/her that you're having ocular migraines and get some advice. But I don't know if you need to hurry to the doctor, because I don't think there's too much you can do about them.
The stress definitely does have something to do with it.
You can find some online forums where people discuss how they deal with them. Some folks allow themselves to get stressed out about it, and some just go with the flow. One person said that when they start, he just goes to the park and enjoys the show Smile
The only thing you really have to worry about is to not drive when it happens. You are not necessarily going to go on to have migraine headaches- I haven't. They haven't been painful, and now that I know what they are, I don't worry about them, just wait for them to pass.
|

replied December 23rd, 2009
I had the exact same things going on with my right eye
I just had this happen this morning and had my husband call 911 because I thought I was having a stroke or something. Once the paramedics got here, everything was back to normal. Just a slight headache after for a short time.
|

replied August 31st, 2010
Seeing ripples on right side
I have found that stretching the neck (chin to chest, ear to shoulder, etc.) and upper shoulders, as well as 'streching' the eyes (close your eyes and look to the extreme left, right, up, down, etc., and holding each for a few moments) helps reduce the length of the episodes.
|
Users who thank my2cents681 for this post: jdk1973 

replied October 14th, 2013
This seemed to help me, it went straight away.
|

replied November 4th, 2011
i have had the same thing it is a silent migraine if there was no headache afterwards or if it was followed by the migraine it is classed as an aurad migraine it is harmless and the aura is normally gone within twenty minutes you may feel panicky or disorientated during or afterwards most people only suffer with these for a period of time mine usually start as a small blind spot which grows across my vision then i get the lights display you were mentioning it then moves tomy periferal vision so i can mostly see again by this point and then shortly afterwards my vision returns to normal hopefully you wont get another attack i think/ hope i have had my last one but if it was to happen again remain calm and reassure yourself that it will be over within the next twenty minutes ( the maximum time they can last is 1hr but that i have never heard of actually happening.) if your still concerned visit your gp but i wouldn't get worked up over it
|

replied December 8th, 2011
Mine actually lasted for a couple of hours. Very annoinng
|

replied April 2nd, 2012
Today is April 2, 2012. At about 3:30-4pm I had an experience when I was doing some cleaning. I noticed out of the upper right portion of my right eye, water waves as though I was looking through water. It lasted for about 20 minutes. I called my doctor and set up an appointment for Thursday April 4, 2012. This is scary.
|

replied October 20th, 2012
Hi...just curious what you found out. My husband had this same thing today. Water waves in his right eye for 15 min. Was it anything serious?
Thanks
Allison
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
stobre lights in back of the eyes.
i have been having what i can only describe as water ripples of light in both eyes. it starts at the oter edges of the eyes and ripples torwards the center of the eyes. thing is mine have not gon away. this started about 1 month ago and has only progressed and gotten worse. now it looks like there are strobe lights in the back of each of my eyes going really fast. went to the eye doctor 3 days ago and all the pics of my eyes were fine and she said all i need is glasses. let me tell you it is very hard to pick 1 or 2 , when she switches the lenes in front of your eyes. so now have been wearing glassess for 3 days now and still the same , now its just magnified. its like looking threw binos with a flashing light built in them. also have had a severe migrain for the entire time.. anybody with any info please help.. i am about ready to reset my eyes and head with a bullet..
|

replied May 1st, 2012
Scintillating scotoma?
May 1st at 340PM (PST) I had one, the first one ever. Freaked me out, almost rubbed my eyes into the back of my skull. Thanks to everyone who posted here, I thought that my vision was going when it started to expand. After reading more about this, I started to get a head ache too, but I think it was because that is a following symtom to the Scintillating scotoma. It has been over 20 minutes and it is gone, but I feel like my right peripherial vision is impared compared to my left side which is fine. Odd feeling, hated it, hope to never have one again.
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
I am grateful to have found this site! I, too, experience the same thing...but with no headache. I get this rippling water affect in my left eye, completely lose my perifial vision, but no pain or anything. It's just scary. I used to only get them once in a while...maybe once or twice a year, but I have gotten it for the last 3 days in a row. When driving, it's scary. When working, it is difficult until it passes. I deal with the public, so I just pretend everything is fine, and I am half blind in my left eye during the episodes. It's like a round circle of spinning water. After reading all of your comments, I don't feel like it is too serious...just annoying. I went to an eye doctor once about it, but he couldn't find anything.
|

replied June 5th, 2012
Ripple in my right eye vision
June 5, 2012 10:50am, about 20 minutes ago I just had a ripple in my vision while I was exercising. It is exactly like everyone here had experienced. I was worried and immediately called the eye doctor but few minutes later that water waves in my right eye went away. I cancelled the appointment and stumbled into this site. So glad to have found others here who had the same episode I just had. Thank you all.
|

replied August 3rd, 2012
Ripples Right side of Eye/ Blind spot/ followed by dull headache
Thanks everyone.. I've had this for a couple of years now. Feels weird. I just lay down and it goes away after 30-45 min, but towards the end of it I have a slight headache / pulling sensation on the left side of my head. My Dr checked my eyes with a special light and everything was fine. She asked another Dr who said it's probably migrains, but to keep a log and if they happen more often to follow up. They usually happen every 3 or 4 months and around stressful times. Plus I work at my computer all day so that doesn't help. No cause for concerns, just something we have to live with and try and reduce stress levels and less caffiene to avoid. Were not alone, this seems fairly common.
|

replied August 14th, 2012
Thank you for posting! Scintillating scotoma
I am just so, so grateful for this post chain. I thought I had a brain tumor or an aneurysm until I googled my symptoms and found this site -- haha. Mine definitely seems to be a Scintillating scotoma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillatin g_scotoma) -- the shapes etc described here were SPOT ON. It lasted about 1/2 an hour, was followed by a tiny headache, and is gone. I have been under more stress than usual recently -- so I blame that.
|

replied September 15th, 2012
Here are two Wikipedia articles...
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2013
ripple vision in my eyes
I have the same issue off and on,it was called a optical migraine. I have no pain with it,just the weird annoying feeling. Some think it could be broughton by even chemical oder like painting. I am not painting or remodeling anymore,and sti get them..hope this eases someones worries,nothing but a painless migraine thank goodness!
|

replied March 13th, 2013
Peripheral rpples in the eye.
Mine just quit. I timed it this time. 10 minutes. Mind you it may have been sneaking up on me for a minute or so before I noticed it. I have had it maybe 3 or 4 times always the left side. Never a headache. This was the first in a couple of years. I was trying to read the comments here and I noticed for the first time a little distortion in my vision. Previously the ripples were only in the peripheral vision like floaters that you cannot look directly at.
In every case including this one I have related it to a week when I had more alcohol than I should have and this is the body's way of saying knock it off. I will.
|

replied March 18th, 2013
I've had these episodes, they lasted 10-15 minutes. Never had them before, but they did happen after the optometrist flashed those blue lasers into my eyes during an exam. Then it happened again after an exam. Then this also happened to my husband shortly after the optometrist visit. I'm suspicious these exams are the cause. If not, it's at least suspicious.
|

replied March 18th, 2013
I've had these episodes, they lasted 10-15 minutes. Never had them before, but they did happen after the optometrist flashed those blue lasers into my eyes during an exam. Then it happened again after an exam. Then this also happened to my husband shortly after the optometrist visit. I'm suspicious these exams are the cause. If not, it's at least suspicious.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....