Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

fever with swollen lymph nodes and tonsils

Hello,
Alright I have had a fever for a few weeks, it only comes at night and wasn't too serious (about 98.7). Lately it has gone up to 99.2 regularly at night.
Last weekend my left tonsil was completely swollen, and my throat was a little sore. It hurt to swallow, but I could speak without pain. Last Tuesday, both my tonsils were swollen and there were white patches on my right tonsil and the lymph nodes on my neck were swollen. On wednesday I saw my doc and she tested me for strep throat and for mono. Both tests were negative. However the mono test indicated that I had previously had it but not presently. I talked my mother and as far as either one of us knows I had never had mono before.

My doctor prescribed me Azithromycin (the Z-pack) and I almost finished the prescription.
So basically I am not sure what's wrong with me and the doctor was not able to tell me either.
Throughout the whole thing is seems very inconsistent, one hour I have tons of energy and then the next I can barely move.
My lymph nodes and tonsils are swollen (now it looks like there is a bump behind the left tonsil that is covered in smaller white spots) and I have a fever and fatigue. My neck and back have been a little more sore than usual but other than that I do not have any clear symptoms and my throat is not sore.

Does anyone know what this could be?
I think part of the reason it's not getting better is that I am worrying about what it could be!

Thank you.

Also I am a 20 y/o female who is generally good health.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper babyblue06
|

replied August 6th, 2009
HI there
I was wondering if you found anything that was wrong with you cause my son is 2 and has been experiencing similar problems.He has been hopitalised twice.His fever goes from 99.5-100.8 in a day.He also has times when he is fine and then totally down for a few hours.He has had extensive work up and nothing found.calling it FUO.Thanks for you help.
|

replied September 9th, 2009
Fever, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, fatigue, and malaise
I have many of the same symptoms; starting with a sore throat, swollen lymph glands in the neck, increased fever as night progresses, and sudden bouts of fatigue. You should get tested for Epstein Barr.

Symptoms of Epstein-Barr Virus
The infection develops slowly with such mild symptoms that it may initially be indistinguishable from a cold or the flu. As the condition progresses the symptoms may include:

* A sore throat that lasts two weeks or more

* Swollen lymph nodes in the neck, armpits, and groin

* A persistent fever (usually about 102 degrees F)

* Fatigue

* Malaise (a vague feeling of discomfort)

I was diagnosed with Epstein Barr several years back. They were able to make the diagnosis because the virus was active in my body at the time I had the blood tests done. (Malaise may be different for some people. Mine is joint pain.)
|

replied September 9th, 2009
Thanks. My son was tsted for that and they said that he tested positve but has not had it in the last 6 months.we are seeing infectious disease dr next tuesday.I am really hoping for some answers.He runs low grade to mid grade every day.I heard that Epstein Barr lives with you and that you can have attacks every so often.A wellness dr that I went to thinks that is what his problem is but to be safe we are looking into some other things too.will let you know what the ID dr says.Thanks again.The support is welcome.
|

replied September 21st, 2009
Yes, unfortunately, Epstein Barr is something that stays with you for the rest of your life. There is no known cure. The only preventative measure it to maintain a healthy immune system to reduce the frequency of bouts. Most people that are exposed never show severe signs as myself or your son. However, for some reason certain people are more susceptible to the effects of the virus. Epstein Barr (EBV) is a Herpesviridae, the same viral family as Herpes Simplex virus(HSV). Herpes Simplex is the cause of cold sores/fever blisters and genital herpes. Like cold sores and genital herpes (HSV), EBV can flair up at any time, though the symptoms are not as physically obvious as a blister. It's still unknown what may cause someone to be susceptible when others aren't. My parents both get cold sores (HSV), whereas my siblings and I are not susceptible. However, I suffer from EBV, whereas none of my siblings seem to suffer from it. That is not to say that may not show symptoms at a later time. It may only mean that they have yet to be exposed to the virus. Like Mono, EBV can be carried in the saliva. Most exposure happens earlier in life, and it's found that earlier exposure reduces the susceptibility to symptoms of EBV later on in life. Most people who are exposed show symptoms initially, but develop and immunity and do not suffer symptoms prior. Almost the entire adult population has been exposed by age 30, though only a rare few suffer from chronic recurrent viral symptoms.
The best preventative measure is to ensure plenty of rest, maintain a diet with lots of immune system boosting foods, and try to keep stress levels down (though a 2 year old doesn't have much stress). At this time, like Genital Herpes, there is no cure... only treatment.
|
Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...