Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Meat Eating And How It Relates to Abortion (Page 1)

User Profile
I am curious to know how many pro life or anti-abortion individuals eat meat or hunt. Could you kill and slaughter an animal? Pro choice feel free to respond as well.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 10th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I am pro-choice.

I am pro-hunting ... In cases of sustinance and population control. I'm not a huge fan of sport hunting. It wastes meat.

I am omnivorous - like all humans. I like meat. Mmm. I am however anti-abuse. I do not stand for factory farming and the inhumane slaughter of food animals. It sickens me the way they are treated in life and death.

Yes, I HAVE caught and killed and cleaned and cooked and eaten a delicious animal. It was a fish, but still: I have taken an animal's life for the sole purpose of eating it. It didn't bother me at all. I would do it with cows if that was the only way to get steak. I like steak.
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I do not support sport hunting at all, I think it's disgusting. To be honest, I don't understand people who eat venison. I think the choices at the supermarket should be plenty.

Then again, I am not a big meat person.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I have been on both sides of the fence.....

For a biology project we wtached a disgusting video about taking real life animal and cutting them open over someones fur coat, hard to explain but I became vegetarian for a while (2 years). The only problem with it was the fact my iron levels started hitting below the norm and was was on iron supplements, although I lost a great deal of weight and I actually like Tofu it wasnt my thing.

I have never hunted but I have eaten moose and its actually pretty good, never hearts to try new things, minus chicken giblets and live blah~!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I have hunted; I have eaten deer, elk and bear, haven't tried moose yet; grew up on a farm; raised chickens, ducks, pigs, turkeys, rabbits, cows and goats for food.
I see no problem with eating meat; it does not affect my pro-choice veiws at all.
My eldest daughter is a vegiterian, she is pro-choice. My youngest at 13 hasn't weighed in on the debate yet.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I eat red meat. I eat venison. I even eat chicken livers. I am pro-life per human beings.. I don't mean I want to see dogs killed but some countries do. Some eat dog.. I think a lot of our choices of food are how we where raised. I am pro-life for humans. But pro-choice about what we eat.
My Pro-life beliefs don't mean that NOTHING can be killed. My Pro-life beliefs are restricted to human beings being killed. To be honest. I value human beings more that I do chicken, cows, ants, rat’s spiders etc. I think war and killing human beings is wrong. I think the death sentence is wrong, and I think pulling a plug on anyone in a hospital is wrong.
I think sport hunting and not hunting for the meat to eat is cruel and a little distorted.
|

Especially eHealthy
Jude-Love wrote:
I do not support sport hunting at all, I think it's disgusting. To be honest, I don't understand people who eat venison. I think the choices at the supermarket should be plenty.

Then again, I am not a big meat person.

Many people in the Northcountry (specifically NY, but also other states have places like this too) are too poor to buy meat from a store. To have comfortable lives and warm houses, they hunt for their meat. They do not waste anything. Why would they pay for meat when they can pay for a bullet - much cheaper - and get hundreds of pounds of venison? It's delicious, too.
|

Especially eHealthy
I think the point was that I personally have heard many pro-lifers claim to be pro-life for all things, not just humans.
|

I don't think it has anything to do with diet choices, but I must admit I do find it strange that some prolifers have more respect for something that hasn't even developed the ability to feel or think anything than they do for fully sentient creatures, and for no better reason than the DNA nature saw fit to give them.

What I mean is I have seen prolifers complain about it when a story about a rescued kitten or abused dog makes the news, or when they hear about donation drives dedicated to saving endangered species or preserving the lives of strays. This comes off as very elitist and cold to me. People can have big enough hearts to give a crap about the animals that share the planet with us and still care about their own kind, too. I don't know why so many prolifers are mortally offended by this concept.

With that said, I'm not a big meat eater and I try to be mindful of where the meat that I do buy came from. If I can find free range I go for it first, but my husband is addicted to meat the way I'm addicted to cigarettes, so he brings home most of it.
|

Experienced User
I eat meat though in the past I have had periods of time when I went vegatarian. We live on a farm and raise poultry, goats and sheep. We even have four cows. However I am hypocritical enough that I will not eat a animal I have known personally. So while I may have a pen full of lambs I buy my chops in the celophanne packages at the store.

I love to fish and do eat what I catch. I myself and the hubby do not hunt but I support hunting where it is used for food. My daughter goes elk hunting every year and they use the meat all year long.

Sport hunting seems to me to rate right along with dog and male chicken fighting(see if that gets past the censor).
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Well, there weren't many prolife camp responses, so I will just have to share what i was thinking (But thanks Meblonde for chiming in!)

I keep hearing how precious the unborn are and how we should strive to save life, but then people go out and order a steak. This was created out of an already living animal. It makes me curious as to why one life, not even born yet, has so much more value than that of a "dumb cow". When animals are slaughtered, I can 100% guarantee they feel pain (if it's in a slaughterhouse). Many times the "Whacker" (the one responsible for clubbing the animal unconscious) is not successful with his or her initial "whacking" and thus the animal is rendered entirely awake, with fear in its heart, knowing what is happening to them the whole time-very much aware of being cut to pieces. Chickens live their lives so pumped full of hormone laced feed that their breasts become so heavy, they can no longer walk. They have their beaks removed so they will not engage in pecking order behavior. When Turkeys are shipped they are shipped in the cold in cages stacked twenty high and one hundred deep, sixty across on the flat bed of a truck. Many freeze to death prior to arriving at their destination of ultimate demise, having defecated all over one another due to the manner in which they are transported. I could go on, but I think you all get my point. I don't understand the duality of claiming one life has value and then turning around and eating animals that have indeed been born alive and have been wandering the planet ofr quite some time.

And, meblonde, since you brought it up, why is it that dogs are not OK to eat while cows are? I'm not picking on you I would just like to know your thoughts on this.
|

Especially eHealthy
Personally on the dog issue, it's perfectly okay to eat a dog. It is an animal just like a cow. In some countries, guinie pigs are a common meal. Dozens run around the large huts and when it's time for dinner, the young daughter chases after one and whack, meat.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
sillyakchick.. " I don't feel picked on" Smile

There probably isn't anything wrong with eating a dog. But I guess it comes down to some things you just couldn't bring yourself to eat. Like some could not eat chicken liver.. I can, but then I did as a child with my parents. I personally could not eat a dog, cat worms, along with other things.
I think a lot of the things we find gross to eat is because we never had them. I just wonder if a child wasn't given a soda when they where young (because they wanted what their parent had) if we waited until we where grown up if we would really enjoy that soda.. Lets face it a soda stings and is really kind of strange to drink. I think everyone has seen the face of a young child with their first sip of soda.. Makes me chuckle to think of them.
I guess what I'm trying to say is some things that we eat we acquired a taste for.
There are other countries that eat dogs and humans. ICK! I would have to be a matter of life or death for me.. I can’t say I would then. I would have to put in that position.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
*Birch gave in, skimmed this thread, and is now barfing...*
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Cool
|

replied January 14th, 2008
Hunting Or Farming Animals
What difference does it make if you hunt your meat, raise your meat, or buy your meat. An animal dies. I have killed animals, 4 legged from cows, sheep, hogs, to elk, 1 moose, 1 bear, deer 2 antelope, birds including Quail, Pheasant, turkey, chicken, Squab (baby pidgeon), dove, duck, goose if it was edible I killed it ifI could. Fish anything catchable where I went.

What the hell does this have to do with the Abortion Debate. Does someone think Pro-Choice eats Human fetus.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
No. As I said some pro life stances expouse the lofty ideals of being all about saving the lives of the unborn, yet in a society where there are many choices of items to eat without killing animals they choose to end the life of a living breathing sentient being.

And, in my opinion there's a lot of difference between eating a chunk of red you bought at the store and killing and field dressing a deer, especially from the standpoint of howe the creature lived its life and how it was butchered.

Hairy-I found your comments to be somewhat disrespectful to me which was a definitie bummer.
|

Especially eHealthy
Yeah, hairy. You clearly aren't understanding the connection between "an animal dies" and "a fetus dies". Pro-life is up in arms about the deaths of fetuses, which are parasitic early humans, yet they often don't even bother thinking about the chicken they're eating. They don't bother thinking about the abuse of factory farming and the pain those animals experience until they are slaughtered alive.

Many pro-lifers try to use the excuse "I'm not just pro-fetal life, I'm pro ALL life!" so consequently, every pro-lifer who claims that should be vegetarian or they are a hypocrite.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I don't find not eating meat and trying to save a HUMAN LIFE a hypocrite. Because I find a human life, parasite, embroy, Baby of more value then other living things.. Period!
I find them to be a big diff! and if pro-choice people can compare human life to chickens and worms I find that very SAD!
|

I find it very sad that you care more for the removal of an insentient being with human DNA from a woman's body than the slaughter of a living creature capable of feeling pain, meblonde01. Slaves were branded, killed and mistreated because nobody thought their pain was significant. Well, at least slaves and "lower" animals are capable of feeling the pain and death inflicted upon them, unlike the early trimester z/e/f.
|
Quick Reply