Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Irregular periods and need birth control

I've always had irregular periods. I didn't start mine until I was 16 or so. I used to get it every 3 months or so unexpectedly. However, I get them for over a week with a very heavy cycle. I get unbearable cramps and it is really difficult for me to function. I know that I need birth control, however, I've been avoiding it because of the added weight gain. I'd like to try something that doesn't cause major weight gain and that will relieve me of these symptoms. Lately, I get it every month for 14 days with extreme cramps...I'm going to a doctor next week, but I'd like to know which kinds of BC to ask for.
I"ve heard of the impant, Implanon, but I"m not sure how that would work and how much it would cost...thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mightyg07
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2008
Experienced User
Ive been looking into the implanon also.

It tells you how they put it in what kind of symptoms you could get from it. Depending on if you have insurance or not, from the reasearch ive done, with insurance it could cost about 100. At the planned parenthood by my house, its 400 with out insurance. If you go to planned parenthood though, you will fill out papers, and one of the things you feel out is one saying if you have a job and how much you make, if you dont make to much they can give you a discount.

If you want a pill, the pill im on curently is called Ortho Micronor, its a mini pill, and it has stoped my period all togeither, i dont have cramps or anything. Altho it might not have the same affect on you, every one ive talked to on it has had the same experiance. And on the weight gain ive been on it since aug, and ive gained about 3 pounds, so not much, but agian it might affect you diffrently.

You should talk about the diffrent types of birthcontrol there is with your dr and find out what kind you would like. There are many diff types out there, like the pill, the ring, and IUd, the patch, the implant. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head lol. If you end up geting the Implanon, you should let me know! im going to get it after i save up enough money lol.

Hope i helped alittle, Have a good day!
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I don't think implanon regulates your period at all.

You'd need something with a placebo week, so the patch, the ring (which is great) or any pill would work. Some pills are more known to help reduce cramps and such, and your doctor will know which ones to recommend.

Depo, implanon, mini--pills, or IUD's will not regulate your period.
|

replied May 5th, 2010
I would recommend Seasonique. My periods are so severe that when I get out of bed (which is extremely difficult) I'm doubled over in pain. If you want a monthly period, I would say to try Yaz, which is really good for severe periods. If you're like me and other BCP's haen't worked and you have severe periods, you may want fewer periods. I chose Seasonique: 4 periods a year and I've heard you'll feel like a normal person within 2 months. I gotta wait till Sunday to start Seasonique, but with all the good reviews, I can't wait!!
|
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...