Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Labor and Delivery Forum

Herpes And Strep B, Can I Deliver Vaginally?

Hey ladies, I have always worried about this. I never really thought too much about it since it wasnt time. But now that I am expecting I need to know more.

So I have genital herpes. I do not take any medication for it. I average at 4-6 outbreaks each year. I also have tested pos for Strep B and was told that if I ever became pregnant that I needed to tell the doc.

So will they let me deliver vaginally? Or will the doctor insist I have a c-section. I know that as long as there are no active outbreaks in the birth canal that the baby cannot get the virus. But what do doctors really do about this? Any advise will help. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 9th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I'm not too positive about Herpes, but my best friend has HPV and was allowed to birthe vaginally.

With the groupB Strep, they can give you an antibiotic while in labor to protect the baby.

I guess you could just ask your Dr at your appt.

Let us know what s/he says!

Sarah
|

replied January 9th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I was told that with HPV I would be fine to birth vaginally. From what I understand about Herpes as long as their is not active outbreak you should be fine but I would definetely talk with you ob/gyn about the risks of it if at all.
|

replied January 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
thanks for the replys. I have been doing research and the herpes is not as big of a deal as it seems. The strep B seems for risky for the baby. Since I have had herpes for 6 years the chances of giving it to my baby are so slim compared to a women who got it while she was pregnant.

I really wanted to have a home birth or a water birth in my huge tub. But with all the risks involved I think I will need to have the baby at a hospital. I would hate for anything to happen and we arent readily available for healthcare. Cause I do NEED the antibiotics for the StrepB. But yeah I will be sure to ask my doctor. I just want to get all my questions together so I am prepared. It seems like when you go into an appointment knowing things the doctors listen and talk to you more.
|

replied January 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I have genital herpes too =) (unashamed)

You CAN deliver vaginally as long as NO outbreak is present. MANY doctors will have women take suppressive therapy near term to prevent any outbreaks that could happen.
|

replied January 27th, 2009
im always depressed
i have genital herpes
i contracted it when i was 16 with a guy i had been with for almost a year
we didnt have sex for a while when we met
but when we did i immediately knew something was wrong with me
i had an outbreak and never had i had any other std's
so i didnt now what was going on with m body
i went and got a blood test and everything came back negative except that
everyday, i am perky and happy
but deeply hurting to know i have this disease
my boyfriend knows and said he still wanted to be with me
i dont take any medications because a friend of mine takes medication for her outbreaks
and she told me they started to come more frequently
ive read up on the disease
im quite healthy actually and im trying to look at being happy i dont have aids and im in a monogomous relationship
i still think would i be happier if i didnt have it
sometimes i wish i could trade places with someone that doesnt have it, even if they are going through a rough life...im starting to forget about the disease because the more i think about it the more i get depressed
this is my first time coming out with it...its time to face reality...im 18 in college and working...im happy as long as i dont think abou it
ive seen the pictures and im thankful my genitals dont look like that
i should be thankful that im still walking talking and breathing
i love my life and thank you for your time to hear my story
|

replied July 26th, 2010
Group B Strep tests can change from week to week.

You can do home remedies to reduce your chances of it. They will test you again for it after 35 weeks and if you have taken preventative measures, there is a good chance you won't have it then and can birth your baby without antibiotics being distributed. It's not that huge of a deal.
|

replied July 26th, 2010
Group B Strep tests can change from week to week.

You can do home remedies to reduce your chances of it. They will test you again for it after 35 weeks and if you have taken preventative measures, there is a good chance you won't have it then and can birth your baby without antibiotics being distributed. It's not that huge of a deal.
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...