Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Fresh blood in the stools (rectorrhagia)

User Profile
I have been seeing some blood after and during passing of stools.
It might be an injury as it looks like fresh red blood not from the intestins with the stools.
Would you please give me an idea what it might be? I see red blood on the tissue after stools.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2008
General Q and A Answer A3541
Fresh blood in the stools (rectorrhagia) is usually caused by bleeding hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids can be diagnosed by your primary physician via a physical examination (inspection). Other causes for rectorrhagia could be infection, tumor or injury but those are less likely options. Nonetheless, blood in the stool is a serious symptom and you should consult your GP, family doctor, or primary physician as soon as possible ( and an internist if necessary).

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.