Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

birth control choices (Page 1)

Hi, My broyfriend and i recently started having intercourse. its a first for both of us.
i really want to look into birth controll. i dont trust just condoms. my boyfriend REALLY HATES them. he really doesn't want to have to use them but idk how i feel about that.
i have an increadibly sensitive stomach and after taking the pill for two days i was super sick to my stomach and miserable. that was with the lowest dose out there too. =/ i also get migraines.
i kind of want to look into the ring or an IUD. i would prefer something with no horomones such as the copper IUD, but im kind of worried about some of the effects and risks like spotting and perforation of the uterus.
obviously, since i havent had sex before this boyfriend i havent had kids, and some people say the IUD doesnt work super well for people who havent had kids.
my doctor also suggested the depo shot, but some of the things ive heard about it worry me. i dont want my period to stop, its the one sign i have that im not pregnant. it would be especially worrying for me to not get my period if we dont use condoms.

if you have any information or past experiences, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you very much
~LadyAllie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
The non-hormonal IUD is a great choice for some women. I was on the other kind. The risks like perforation are really low- similar to the risk of stroke on the pill. Also, most doctors now give it to women who haven't had children, it's generally accepted now that it's safe. The idea that it isn't is outdated.

The ring is great too, but has hormones. Most women have less side effects on the ring because the hormones are more localized (and less) so it's worth a try.

Any type of birth control you get, you should wait at least 3 months before you give up on it. Most side effects go away in this time.
|

Hey this is LadyAllie's boyfriend. We are both 17 and want to play it safe. She knows being on the pill for only two days is not a sufficient amount of time to tell how it would really affect her, but she doesn't want to be miserable for 3 months until it dies down. Her stomach got extremly gaggy and was dry heaving all night and had to miss school today. Her doctor said this wasn't good and wants to find an alternative route. She is worried about continuing tonite. Any advice.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Are you absolutely sure it was from the pill? She didn't eat something bad?
I understand if you don't want to stick it out for three months, it can be pretty miserable. But make sure it was from the pill and not from being sick...

Like I said, the non-hormonal IUD and nuvaring are great options for women who are sensitive to hormones. Also, you could use a condom (I know you don't want to but sometimes you just gotta suck it up) and a diaphragm at the same time, or spermicide as well. Together, they are much more effective than the condom alone.

Also, if you choose to use barrier methods (Such as condoms or diaphragms) you can get a dose of plan b (which your doc will have to prescribe) and keep it on hand in case something goes wrong. Then you should be fine.
|

Especially eHealthy
You can try switching around when you take the pill if it makes you nauseous. I personally couldn't take it at night. Some women can't take it in the morning. So try that.
|

Experienced User
im pretty darn positive that it was the pill making me feel sick. i ate things that i always eat and that never make me sick.
my stomach is basically always upset, but i never get to the point of gagging like that. even when i had the stomach flu i managed to not throw up or even come super close.
im sort of afraid to take it in the morning cuz i really dont want to feel that way at school. i cant afford to miss much more school this year, im a senior...
i dont think im gonna take it tonight, and im gonna talk to my doctor again tomorrow. i want to start something as soon as possible.
|

Experienced User
p.s thank you both very much for the advice. i appreciate it so much!
and thanks to anyone else who comments!
~LadyAllie
|

Yes we are sure it was the pill which made her feel gaggy. She has decided not to take the pill tonite.
We have always used condoms. We just would like to get something more efficient though. What is spermicide and how would that feel? That doesn't get me out of the condom though
she doesn't trust diaphragm becuase thats how her brother and her came to be.
|

Especially eHealthy
hey you might like femcon fe
its a chewable pill that tastes like a tic tac
and its low does of hormones
|

replied January 9th, 2008
Experienced User
ive never heard of femcon fe... the only thing is that my dr says that i would probably do better on a non oral bc. she says that the fact that its oral may have been why it made me so sick.
im really looking into the nuvaring... it seems really good by most of the reviews. i dont think my mom would let me get the IUD.
what about the bc method in which something is injected into your arm and it works for like 2 years? i cant remember what its called, but its put under the skin of ur arm... anyone tried that? its not the depo shot... but what about the shot too?
|

Experienced User
the insert thingy is called implanon
|

Especially eHealthy
yes its injected into your arm
it is very tiny

why not the patch? or the depo shot maybe? with depo you also wont have periods
|

Especially eHealthy
I love Depo Smile
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
some women get periods on depo

Why wouldn't your mom let you get an IUD? That seems silly, they're really effective.
|

Experienced User
she is really iffy on it. she says since its a procedure wed have to tell my dad about it, but i really dont want to do that yet.
she brought up something about the fact that i havent had kids, but i told her that they can give them to girls who havent had kids before.

oh by the way... i didnt take the pill last night and i feel so much better. i slept all through the night and had no problems with my stomach. i really think thats what was making me sick.
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2008
Experienced User
i have heard great things about the nuvaring! I am actually thinking of switching to it myself...
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Well, if you get something done at planned parenthood, neither of your parents has to know.

But it is expensive, so you would probably want to use your parent's insurance, and then they'd probably find out. But the ring is a great option for many women, that's true.
|

Especially eHealthy
Did you take your pill this morning instead? Don't stop taking them completely!!
|

Experienced User
well i just found out that i cant go to planned parenthood because i have kaiser medical insurance. my bf wanted to go just to get information and we couldnt even go to the teen clinic cuz of our insurance. we did call the kaiser teen clinic and have an appointment but i dont think they give iuds there.
and thats kind of something i wouldnt want to keep from my mom just in case something did end up going wrong somehow.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
No no no.... you don't need insurance to go to planned parenthood! They give income based fee reductions, so if they don't accept your insurance, it doesn't matter because they don't charge as much as the doctors.
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...